• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Team Questions (and Incomplete Team Help)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Going with the above, Rotom-W. It has useful resistances to Fire, Water, Ice and Steel (to a lesser extent). It also works in and out of Rain teams. Rotom-F, on the other hand, has common weaknesses to Fire, Fighting and Rock, though it resists BoltBeam. It's also heavily dependent on Hail to function, as Blizzard has Focus Blast-level accuracy outside of it.

Years
  • Seen Nov 9, 2017
Hi I decided tomake an NU team but I am not so sure what moveset I would have for an eelektross what would you have and what role would it play??

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hi I decided tomake an NU team but I am not so sure what moveset I would have for an eelektross what would you have and what role would it play??

Eelektross has a wide movepool, so it can run a multitude of viable sets:
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Grass Knot/Giga Drain
-Hidden Power (Ice)/Volt Switch/Superpower
Nature: Modest/Quiet
EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 Spe
Item: Expert Belt/Life Orb

or
-Coil
-ThunderPunch
-Drain Punch
-Aqua Tail/Dragon Tail
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SDef
Item: Leftovers

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
I have gotten a Rotom with 31 estimated SpA and Spd but its other stats are 12-18. Should I stick with that or keep trying for higher IVs?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I have gotten a Rotom with 31 estimated SpA and Spd but its other stats are 12-18. Should I stick with that or keep trying for higher IVs?

Trying for higher IVs would be ideal. You can check the exact/approximate IVs by going to the Battle Institute in Nimbasa City.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
How does it do that? what am i looking for

Try to get decent IVs in HP and/or defenses too. The Battle Institute sets the levels of all the participants you use in it to 50, so it's a good way to IV check recently hatched Pokémon; the Battle Subway autosaves before the challenge, so it's not recommended if you're going lengths to get good IVs in the stats you want.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Try to get decent IVs in HP and/or defenses too. The Battle Institute sets the levels of all the participants you use in it to 50, so it's a good way to IV check recently hatched Pokémon; the Battle Subway autosaves before the challenge, so it's not recommended if you're going lengths to get good IVs in the stats you want.

So I would just participate and it autos to lv 50?

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Should I worry about its Physical defenses or Special defenses? I have def iv of 29 but a SpD iv of 9 with 19 Hp IV and 29 of spd and SpA.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
I am running a choice specs Rotom-W (using scarf on someone else) Using Thunderbolt Hydro Pump and Trick. Was thinking of Light screen or Reflect. I dont like Hidden power because its never strong enough for me plus its a Dark H.P.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I am running a choice specs Rotom-W (using scarf on someone else) Using Thunderbolt Hydro Pump and Trick. Was thinking of Light screen or Reflect. I dont like Hidden power because its never strong enough for me plus its a Dark H.P.

Screens are useless on Choice 'mons. If you can't get HP Ice or Fire, then go with Volt Switch. Being walled by Lanturn, Ferrothorn and some Dragons would suck, but that's what other teammates are for.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Even with using trick on first turn?

You really should be careful on how you use Trick; it's meant to cripple walls and physical attackers. I'd rather have 3 attacks + Trick on offensively-inclined Choice Pokémon to make the most out of its offensive capabilities.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
You really should be careful on how you use Trick; it's meant to cripple walls and physical attackers. I'd rather have 3 attacks + Trick on offensively-inclined Choice Pokémon to make the most out of its offensive capabilities.

I gave it shadow ball to help cover Psychics with TR. I have mons that can cover dragons and Ferrothorn types.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I gave it shadow ball to help cover Psychics with TR. I have mons that can cover dragons and Ferrothorn types.

Shadow Ball is useless on Rotom-W, or the other appliances in general. A neutral STAB Hydro Pump still does more than an unSTABed supereffective Shadow Ball. Use Volt Switch instead, as the scouting can be useful. Same applies for a resisted STAB Hydro Pump and a neutral unSTABed Shadow Ball.

Don't believe me? Calcs for base power of both moves:
STAB neutral Hydro Pump: 120 x 1.5 = 180
unSTABed supereffective Shadow Ball: 80 x 2 = 160

STAB resisted Hydro Pump: 120 x 1.5 = 180 / 2 = 90
unSTABed neutral Shadow Ball: 80

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Who would be better overall for a non sun team. Leafeon or Lilligant?
Depends on tier and which sweeper you want.
Leafie is more of a physical sweeper and Lili more of a special sweeper thanks to access to Quiver Dance.
I would go for Lili especially because of QD and with no Sun support, you can go for Own Tempo + Petal Dance.

Back