• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Universal Pokemon Randomizer (randomizes gen1-5 games)

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2015
I was just wondering, you seem to have made a list of the evolution replacements (with no trade evos ticked). Is there any chance of you posting some form of that, It feels like a bit of a guessing game atm.

Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2020
I was just wondering, you seem to have made a list of the evolution replacements (with no trade evos ticked). Is there any chance of you posting some form of that, It feels like a bit of a guessing game atm.

They're directly at the top of the log file.

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2015
They're directly at the top of the log file.

If that's the case then where is the log file? I went through all the readable files for the program to find what you suggested to no avail. Would it be possible for a more detailed description?

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
If that's the case then where is the log file? I went through all the readable files for the program to find what you suggested to no avail. Would it be possible for a more detailed description?

Okay, when you randomise a game, press randomise. Then lots of stuff happens, and the program says: Do you want a log file? Press yes and HOORAY. You have a file that contains every single change in the rom. Fantastic

Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2020
Hello, I've been having an issue where the program will load a file but refuses to execute changes. If I only change one thing or just load and then save the program without changing anything, it seems to work, but if I change more than a little it screws up. It's kind of weird, since I've been running this program several times recently and it's only stopped working now.

I tried running it in terminal to see if it came up with an error message, and indeed it did.

Code:
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.dabomstew.pkrandom.romhandlers.AbstractRomHandler.pickReplacement(AbstractRomHandler.java:1636)
    at com.dabomstew.pkrandom.romhandlers.AbstractRomHandler.typeThemeTrainerPokes(AbstractRomHandler.java:734)
    at com.dabomstew.pkrandom.gui.RandomizerGUI.performRandomization(RandomizerGUI.java:3205)
    at com.dabomstew.pkrandom.gui.RandomizerGUI.saveROM(RandomizerGUI.java:2620)
    at com.dabomstew.pkrandom.gui.RandomizerGUI.saveROMButtonActionPerformed(RandomizerGUI.java:3675)
    at com.dabomstew.pkrandom.gui.RandomizerGUI.access$14(RandomizerGUI.java:3674)
    at com.dabomstew.pkrandom.gui.RandomizerGUI$15.actionPerformed(RandomizerGUI.java:1894)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2012)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2335)
    at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:404)
    at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:259)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:253)
    at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6108)
    at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3267)
    at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:5873)
    at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2105)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4469)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2163)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4295)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4461)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4125)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4055)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2149)
    at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2478)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4295)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:604)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:275)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:200)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:185)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:177)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:138)
Does this make sense to you?

EDIT: Weirdly enough, it seems to work if I do it piece by piece. I don't understand what's happening.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2015
I unsure if it would be possible for an application like this to achieve what I want, but are you able to add a option for adding all pokemon into equivalent routes? (e.g. all pokemon you find in the first route of each game are grouped together. Or the victory road pokemon are pooled together.) Kind of like how it was done in Blaze Black and many others. This would make it possible to play a minimalist version of those hacks and could allow a different spin to "Catch em' all! Mode" without the need to be based on chance.

JeffL204523

The Fire Dragon Pokemon
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 31, 2023
Have any good seeds/strings for me to try out on any of the generations? Seeing some of the possibilities sounds like a good idea to me.

Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2013
Is there any way to make this work with hacks like liquid crystal or shiny gold? I'd love to be able to play those randomized.

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
Great tool, I also think unevolved wild pokemon (or only evolved if they've reached their evolution level) and an option to apply the physical/ special split would be fantastic.

Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2020
Great tool, I also think unevolved wild pokemon (or only evolved if they've reached their evolution level) and an option to apply the physical/ special split would be fantastic.

I would also approve of unevolved-until-evo level Wild Pokemon, as well as possibly no wild Stone/Happiness evolution Pokes that have already evolved until later. Maybe even something like the "replace Pokemon with same power Pokemon' rule for Wild Pokemon instead of trainers.

The Physical/Special split is really hard to apply though. People bumbled about working for one for Gen III for a while and I think they made one, but it was rather buggy in my experience; Gen II also had a recent Crystal hack(search for Crystal Complete, skeetendo) with the split but honestly I would suggest just using that one as a base if you want to play Crystal with the P/S split, sorry about the lack of G/S. I'm pretty sure a P/S hack for RBY is basically impossible, lol, but who knows?

Hacker Bisharp

Bug reporter
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 28, 2019
Okay, this tool is simply amazing.
One question, this tool support pokèmon rom from other languages?

Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2020
Okay, this tool is simply amazing.
One question, this tool support pokèmon rom from other languages?
in the readme:

Version 1.2.0 supports the following official ROMs:

* Pokemon Red (any)
* Pokemon Blue (any)
* Pokemon Green (J)
* Pokemon Yellow (any)
* Pokemon Gold (any except Korean)
* Pokemon Silver (any except Korean)
* Pokemon Crystal (any)
* Pokemon Ruby (any)
* Pokemon Sapphire (any)
* Pokemon Emerald (any)
* Pokemon FireRed (any)
* Pokemon LeafGreen (any)
* Pokemon Diamond (any)
* Pokemon Pearl (any)
* Pokemon Platinum (any)
* Pokemon HeartGold (any)
* Pokemon SoulSilver (any)
* Pokemon Black (any)
* Pokemon White (any)
* Pokemon Black2 (any)
* Pokemon White2 (any)

so yes, yes it does

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Hey Dabomstew
I think you should add support to GBA roms that have more than 354 moves
Like, specify the amount of moves in the ini, and people could modify that number to allow a LOT more moves to be had.
But if it would be too difficult, that's okay too.

Years
  • Seen Dec 6, 2020
I recently found this cause my friend wanted to try a Platinum Randomizer. I downlaod the 120a which didn't open even though gameboy_jap.tbl was in the config. And, I downloaded the 120a internal config instead, which when i load up the rom it won't save and many of the options are grayed out. And, yes I did use different base roms. So im not sure what the exact problem is cause every other generation works fine.

Years
  • Seen Apr 12, 2013
So i've got everything to randomize correctly except for BW and BW2. Each time i try it I get a folder called tmp_PokemonWhite2. This doesn't contain a .nds file. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Gave this a go the other day, it's really neat. Although I wish there was a way to tell the randomizer to only put water types (and any pokemon officially found in water that isn't a water type) in the water/fishing/diving. I like it random but not THAT random. I was fishing Absol out of the water in Pokemon Leaf Green. O.o

I tried Heart Gold first but I came across issues where parts of the map would become black and were like a wall. (It first occured in Violet city after exiting Bellsprout tower) However I tried it with Pokemon Leaf Green and it appears to work perfectly.

Heart Gold was funny though, one of the first pokemon I encountered after leaving New Bark Town was Arceus.

I Have a Huge Problem
in Soulsilver i cant do any trainerbattle and can cant visit any house after violet city and the city just ends because everywhere its just blackground where i cant go on

This seems exactly like what happened to HeartGold for me.

Last edited:

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
So i've got everything to randomize correctly except for BW and BW2. Each time i try it I get a folder called tmp_PokemonWhite2. This doesn't contain a .nds file. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

This is because the rom is where you SAVED the rom. When you randomized White, it would bring up a save to window thing to where you would save the new randomized rom. Just go to that location and there it is. The folder is just for the randomized to use.

Back