• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Vault Hunter's Challenge

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
The Vault Hunter's Challenge

So, you want to hear a story...?

NOTICE: I have updated all the classes to include examples of Pokemon which can be used for this challenge for anyone too lazy to do the research necessary to choose a team.

Welcome one and all to the Vault Hunter's challenge! The first challenge (to the best of my knowledge) to be based on the hit video game series, Borderlands! This challenge, while mostly being my brain child, is not entirely mine. I have to give credit to my fellow members of the Trade Corner, who helped me work out the details of this challenge. Now then, let's get to the premise, shall we?

Premise
The main goal of this challenge is to beat the Elite Four and Champion using a team of four Pokemon, who are selected based on the various traits and requirements that represent the various classes of the Borderlands series.

Rules
1. Your team must consist of no more than 4 Pokemon.
2. Each Pokemon must represent one of the 8 classes listed below.
3. The challenge is complete when you defeat the champion. In Platinum, HG/SS, and B/W/2, the challenge is finished upon defeating the more powerful version of the champion.
4. You may use your 2 remaining team slots for HM slaves if you so desire.
5. You may trade, breed, or hack any Pokemon you need for the challenge, as long as you don't RNG or hack perfect IVs.
6. Lesser Legendary Pokemon are allowed, but try to limit it to one if you use them.

The Classes
Here is a list of playable classes whom you may choose from, and their requirements:

250px-79f1.jpg

The Soldier
Roland is your typical hero character, and the only Vault Hunter to not have ambiguous motives. He can hold a support role very effectively.
-Trait: Inherently Good appearance (Heroic is good, but cute works too)
-Combat: Must know 2 Support moves
-Examples:
Spoiler:

250px-62b6.jpg

The Hunter
My reasons for choosing these requirements should be obvious. He's a sniper who uses a bird.
-Trait: Bird Pokemon
-Combat: Must have Keen Eye ability, or be evolved from a Pokemon who had Keen Eye
-Examples:
Spoiler:

250px-81d31.jpg

The Siren
Sirens have a connection to Eridium. As such use a lot of Elemental attacks.
Also they're girls. Duh.
-Trait: Feminine Design
-Combat: Must use 1 attack of each element:
Fire
Electric
Grass/Poison
(^Corrosive^)
-Examples:
Spoiler:

250px-5fe0.jpg

The Berserker
Brick uses his fists... a lot!
-Trait: Fighting Type
-Combat: Uses Physical Attack moves only. Exception! Any support move that regenerates health is acceptable.
-Examples:
Spoiler:

picture.php

The Commando
Axton is more of an Anti-Hero (look it up, it's a thing). He is obsessed with his turret and as such puts faith in more physical things.
-Trait: Dark Type
-Combat: May not use any move of the following types:
Fire
Electric
Grass
Poison
-Examples:
Spoiler:

picture.php

The Gunzerker
Salvador is all about stacking his attacks! Also he's really really short...
-Trait: 5'4" height limit
-Combat: At least 2 Multi-hit (Double Kick, Fury Swipes, Etc.)
or Multi-round (Thrash, Outrage, Etc.) moves
-Examples:
Spoiler:

picture.php

The Assassin
Zer0 uses a sword and turns invisible. What more do you want from me?
-Trait: Has a blade or Blade like appendage
-Combat: 1 Evasiveness or Accuracy altering move
+
2 Cutting attacks
-Examples:
Spoiler:

picture.php

The Mechromancer
Gaige has a giant robot and loves to use electicity to her advantage. Plus she's easy to play, so I'll keep the requirements simple.
-Trait: Steel Type
-Combat: 1 Electric move
-Examples:
Spoiler:

kriegVHchallenge.png

The Psycho
KILL PIKACHU! KILL IT! KILL! KILL ALL THE POKEMON!
-Trait: Heavy (140 lb or higher)
-Combat: A move that lowers a stat (ex. Close Combat)
+
One self KOong move (ex. Explosion)

Clauses
These are some possible additional rules, which you may elect to use if you like. If you have any ideas for additional Clauses, be sure to let me know through PM/VM!

1. Solo Clause: Play the Vault Hunter's challenge in tandem with the solo challenge for a real test of your might!
2. New U Clause: If any of your Pokemon ever get knocked out, you must return to the most recent Pokemon Center you visited. No pressing on through the last bit of a Route.
3. Mono-Class Clause: Sometimes, everyone wants to play the same character. So, why not play with the limitations of having everyone on your team play the same class!

Sign-Up Form
Username:
Game:
Team:
___ as the___
Clauses:

My sign-up:
Spoiler:

Challengers
Spoiler:

Champions
Spoiler:

Last edited:

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Username: TwilightBlade
Game: Heart Gold Version
Team:
Blaziken as the Siren
Metagross as the Mechromancer
Absol as the Assassin
Altaria as the Gunzerker
Clauses: New-U Station

I'll start this after the 21st but posting now.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Today I started my challenge! I haven't done much, but I did:
-Name myself Marcus
-Name my Rival Jack
-Catch a Level 4 male Pidgey in a Premier Ball (Forgot to nickname it, so I'll name it Mordecai when I get to Goldenrod City. Only Pokemon until Machop.)

EDIT: Turns out, the Pidgey I caught had the wrong ability, so I have to wait until tomorrow to catch a different one.

EDIT 2: Caught a new Pidgey, with Keen Eye, named it Mordecai, and grinded to Lvl 7.

Last edited:

Lunicli

Ongoing Competitive Battler
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 19, 2013
Username: Lunicli
Game: Black Version
Team:
Scrafty as the Berserker
Gallade as the Assassin
Cinccino as the Gunzerker
Ferrothorn as the Mechromancer

Will post progress when started.

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
Despite never playing a Borderlands game, this seems like fun. That being said, I'm only going to do a solo clause thingy anyways, so it's barely different from any other solo challenge :P

Game: Emerald
Spr_3f_122.png

...as the Soldier

Clauses: Solo

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 15, 2023
Username: DarkChibimon
Game: Pokemon Black
Team:
Lucario as the Solider
Staraptor as the Hunter
Gardevoir as the Siren
Emboar as the Berserker
Clauses: New U

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Poor Maya, what did she ever do to deserve not being included? ;;

Username: AlexOzzyCake
Game: Pearl
Team:
Staraptor as the Hunter (Powerful, fearsome and agile; the perfect reincarnation of Bloodwing!)
Blissey as the Siren (I always used Lilith as a healing support character, so Chansey is perfect! Hopefully 75 special attack won't make the elemental criteria too difficult .-. Going to use Toxic as the corrosive attack; I assume they don't have to be damaging right? Otherwise I'll use Grass Knot)
Seviper as the Assassin (A devious and misunderstood Pokémon with tricky tactics and an impressive blade; if only it could turn invisible...)
Bronzong as the Mechromancer (I always refer to my Gaige's Deathtrap as Bronzong anyway so this seems perfect haha)
Clauses: New-U clause

Can't wait to get started!

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Poor Maya, what did she ever do to deserve not being included? ;;
It's not that I didn't want to include Maya, but my intention was to do this by class, so there really wasn't a place for her, since she shares the same class as Lilith. I might figure something out later...

LeooUndead

Canadian.
Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2013
As Borderlands is my favorite game, even more so than pokemon. I feel the need to do this challenge.

Username: LeooUndead
Game: Platinum
Scyther as the Assassin
Gardevior as the Siren
Lucario as the Soldier
Politoad as the Gunzerker

Politoad will be bred to have Ice Ball as one of its multi-hit moves, and would the challenge be ruined if i were to evolve Scyther?
Other than that i like the idea of this challenge and i will start today. :D

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
After much deliberation, we have decided that Scizor is acceptable as an assassin. The main reason I used Scyther as an example, is that him and Scizor actually have the same Base Stat Total, just allocated into different places. With Scyther being faster, and Scizor being more defensive.

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
Username: Tabor62

Game: White Version

Ideal Team:
Skarmory as the Hunter
Braviary as the Hunter
----------- as the Hunter
----------- as the Hunter
Oshawott as the HM Slave

Current Team:
Skarmory
Rufflet
Oshawott

Clauses: Mono-Class Clause

Last edited:

Colourful

Lolcat-Trainer, srsly
Years
  • Seen Apr 15, 2016
After a few months of being afk on this forum I checked in today, because Pokemon had taken over my mind again. After navigating myself to favourite section, the challenges-section, I read the words "Vault Hunter Challenge". "Oh my! Could it be that someone made a challenge somehow connected to Bordlerlands?", i thought...
NecrumWarrior, I can't tell you how glad I am you created this challenge! I love it! Awesome idea, and perfectly executed :D

Ofc, I'll participate! Here's my form:

Username: Colourful
Game: Crystal
Team:
Toroise as Soldier
Murkrow as Commando
Sandslash as Gunzerker
Sneasel as Assassin
Clauses: None

I'll cheat myself one additional pokemon with each of the first 3 gym leaders I beat. As soon as I can catch pokemon, I'll dumb whatever starter I pick, and cheat myself a Squirtle. Apart from the cheats required to get the pokemon for my team, no other cheats will be used.

///EDIT:
I started the challenge right after writing this post. So here's what happened in my run up to now:

1. BADGE - FALKNER
- named myself Jack (because I'm like Handsome jack playing with my pokemon like a puppeteer with his puppets :P ), my rival CLAPTRP (because I hate that stupid robot...)
- went through the starting-stuff
- cheated and caught a Squirtle lvl. 3, named it Roland
- beat Falkner with Roland lvl. 17

Here's a picture:
Spoiler:

BADGE 2 - BUGSY
- cheated and caught a Murkrow lvl. 7, called it AXTON
- leveled it until it hit lvl 13
- went to Azalea Town, defeated Team Rocket
- challenged Bugsy and beat him (Axton was especially useful)
- forgot to take a picture :S

Team right now:

Roland lvl. 20
007.gif

- Tackle
- Tail Whip
- Bite
- Withdraw

Axton lvl. 22
198.gif

- Peck
- Pursuit
- Haze

Last edited:

TwilightBlade

Years

● information
OT: Moxxi ID: 24009
Badges: 1

● journal entry
Okay babes, I started my adventure last night. I received a Modest Chikorita and named him Bad Touch. I don't intend to train him much, but I did manage to beat my rival, Jack, using a level 6 starter.

In Dark Cave, I caught a Serious Geodude, you know, to have some fun with. I use him to help me catch two weak Pokemon. From Platinum, I trade over my Torchic and Beldum. These fine ladies need some training before taking on any trainers. I'm being extra careful with raising my team members because I don't want them to faint easily. That just means I have to grind more, what a bore.

Here's something precious, Lilith stopped obeying me. I'll have to use Geodude to own Falkner. Oh, Critical Hit!

● party
152.png
Bad Touch the Chikorita - Level 10
74.png
Marcus the Geodude - Level 14
255.png
Lilith the Torchic - Level 12
374.png
Gaige the Beldum - Level 5

Lunicli

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 19, 2013
Started the challenge!

• Hacked a male Ralts (Zer0) because it's the only unobtainable poke in my team

• Needed to hack teach Charge Beam for him because of the many purrloins in the way, including N's. Too many of them.

• After many struggles and dark bites, Zer0 managed to beat the gym leader Cilan. Stopped inside the Daycare.

TEAM:
• Zer0, male Ralts lvl 16 (Sorry, can't post sprites yet)

Badges:
• Trio Badge

Colourful

Lolcat-Trainer, srsly
Years
  • Seen Apr 15, 2016
#2 Update! :D

3. BADGE - WHITNEY
- cheated and caught myself a Sandshrew lvl. 7 and named him Salvador, leveled it up to 14
- beat rival in front of Ilex Forest
- went through Ilex Forest, got cut and taught it to Sandshrew
- entered Goldenrod City
- got a bicycle
- challenged Whitney and won

Picture #3:
Spoiler:

4. Badge - MORTY
- cheated and caught a Sneasel lvl. 11, named him Zero
- went to Teak City, met Suicune and his buddies
- challenged the kimono-girls to snag myself a copy of VM Surf
- taught Surf to Zero (since it's a water-type-attack I figured it would be fine)
- challenged Morty and kicked his butt

Picture #4:
Spoiler:

Current Team:

Salvador lvl. 22
028.gif

- Scratch
- Sand Attack
- Cut
- Poison Sting

Zero lvl. 22
215.gif

- Scratch
- Surf
- Screech
- Quick Attack

Roland lvl. 25
008.gif

- Bite
- Rapid Spin
- Withdraw
- Tail Whip

Axton lvl. 26
198.gif

- Peck
- Pursuit
- Haze
- Night Shade

Callandor

ughhh....
Years
This sounds like tons of fun.

Username: Callandor
Game: Platinum
Team:
Infernape as the Berserker
Staraptor as the Hunter
Garchomp as the Assassin
Blissey as the Siren
Clauses: None

Edit: Finaly finished. The last one was tough. Will start... tomorrow. Must sleep now.

Last edited:

PhoenixWright77

Pokémaster Attorney
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2015
here is my sign up form.

Username: PhoenixWright77

Game: Pokemon blaze Black 2

Team:

Swanna as the Hunter

Breloom as the Berserker

Krookodile as the Commando

Probopass as the Mechromancer

Clauses: New U clause

Last edited:

TwilightBlade

Years

● information
OT: Moxxi ID: 24009
Badges: 4

● journal entry
Although Bugsy was laughably easy, he did manage to knock out Beldum using his Scyther's U-turn. The nerve of him.

Jack had to show his ~handsome~ face. My rival caused me more trouble than Bugsy, mostly because my team flounders around Quilava. A good double kick in its face ended this battle.

I didn't explore Ilex Forest much, but I caught an Oddish and Paras along the way. As soon as I reached Goldenrod, I traded over the last two members of my party. Since I sent a female Swablu, I caught a male Zubat and bred them. On my 5th egg, I finally hatch a male Swablu. I find it fitting to hatch Swablu since he now is the only one native to this file. \o/

I trained a lot and then got my radio card. I managed to evolve Beldum after fighting one of the gym trainers, sweet. I busted up Whitney's Clefairy with my Combusken's Double Kick. I thought Miltank would give a tougher fight, but her Stomp was futile against my Metang. Metal Claw increased Metang's attack stat so several hits ended Miltank.

I'll have to play the Bug Catching Contest another day. I fainted the Sudowoodo and walked to Ecruteak. I headed straight for the gym, but I forgot that I had to visit Burned Tower first. Jackhole was hanging around there, too. It's time to show off my buff team. At least one of my Pokemon had a super effective move against his Pokemon-except Quilava, of course. I used Absol against Quilava just fine, despite Jack claiming that he was going easy on me. Whatever, dirtbag.

I think I stumbled and tripped up on every instance in Morty's gym in the dark, lol. Battle-wise, Morty's Gengar crit'd my Metang on the first turn. Death count: Gaige twice. :(

Zero, you have to exterminate these ghosts! And that he did... I love it when things pop.

● party
256.png
Lilith the Combusken - Level 24
375.png
Gaige the Metang - Level 24
359.png
Zero the Absol - Level 28
333.png
Salvador the Swablu - Level 11

Callandor

ughhh....
Years
First Update: Didn't do much. Just set up everything.

• Became a Dude and named myself Zeph (short for Zephaniah), and Rival is named Leonix.
  • Got a male Chimchar from Rowan and named it FlameBreak.
  • Battled Leonix and lost because I messed up.
  • Got to Sandgem town and did what needed doing.
  • Caught a male Starly Lv. 2 and named it WindBreak (Pattern mabye?).
  • Next, off to Jubilife City.
Team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Lunicli

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 19, 2013
UPDATE #2
-Got a Pansear named PANSAGE to be my HMSlave for the meantime (Also to serve as a death fodder to beat Lenora)
-Grinded Zer0 to lvl 20 and he evolved into Kirlia :D
-It turns out that the high number of patrats and lillipups with bite in the first gym are back as herdiers and watchogs with CRUNCH so yeah. Bad for Zer0.
-After 9 failed attempts, got the damn Basic Badge.
-Chasing team plasma on Pinwheel forest.

Team:

* Zer0 (Kirlia) LVL 24

Badges

*Trio Badge
*Basic Badge

Back