• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen [Spoiler]Pokemon World Tournament Discussion

Do you like Pokemon World Tournament?

• Yes! I love this new feature!

Votes: 170 89.5%
  • No, I don't like this new feature!

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Maybe, I am not sure I like or don't like this new feature.

Votes: 18 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
It pays a decent amount of attention to the nostalgia seekers in the sense that it brings back the Kanto, Johto, and even the Hoenn Gym League, and even upgrades each other their teams, while keeping their main Pokemon in tact.
Don't forget Sinnoh gym leader ^_^ (yes some of us are nostalgic of Sinnoh).

I love a great challenge, finally a place to put my ev'd Pokémon to the test.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
@Magmaruby: Regirock can, Heatran can, Sacred Swordsmans can enter, even Cresselia is eligible!
And Rotom can also enter but any other legendary Pokémon seems to banned even Vicitini and Meloetta are banned.
But it seems the problem with Latias was Soul Dew. So Latie can enter :D
And now it seems that different tournaments allow other Pokémon... Isshu Leaders allow Victini and Meloetta but World Leaders don't.

Haseyo

쏘쿨
Years
That's really interesting...
I assumed some legendaries were okay since they've always been allowed in the Frontier. Already know ones like Zekrom are banned, but Zapdos and others that aren't nearly as broken should be fine as they can be taken out just as fast as normal Pokemon.

AquaticWartortle

Teh Best Wartortle
Years
I think the World Tourney is a great idea, not only is it competitive battling but it returns previous champions, even though some pokemon are unsuitable (like Floatzel with Cress) i'm already scared of that Choice banded Azumarill!

Years
@Magmaruby: Regirock can, Heatran can, Sacred Swordsmans can enter, even Cresselia is eligible!
And Rotom can also enter but any other legendary Pokémon seems to banned even Vicitini and Meloetta are banned.
But it seems the problem with Latias was Soul Dew. So Latie can enter :D
And now it seems that different tournaments allow other Pokémon... Isshu Leaders allow Victini and Meloetta but World Leaders don't.
Ah I see. How interesting that Victini can enter though, small legendaries like it haven't been allowed in a battle facility since Mew and Celebi in gen 2.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I think the World Tourney is a great idea, not only is it competitive battling but it returns previous champions, even though some pokemon are unsuitable (like Floatzel with Cress) i'm already scared of that Choice banded Azumarill!
Be more afraid of Focus Sash Mamoswine :D

Ah I see. How interesting that Victini can enter though, small legendaries like it haven't been allowed in a battle facility since Mew and Celebi in gen 2.
It is interesting... I must agree :)
I'll be researching more to see if it follows some pattern :)

Years
  • Seen Dec 11, 2016
Really love the idea of having a pool of pokemon to pick, so it's not the usual xxx always has the same team. Makes things more dynamic.

I notice his pokemon consists of lake/freshwater pokemon, in contrast to Shizui/Marlon's ocean-based team. (except Samurott, but he's just goign with the starters to those gym leader thing with the rest of his brothers)

Mostly happy with most teams although I wish there were more of a pool to choose from or have better picks. Some thoughts if there were team changes/more of a pool to choose from (put in spoiler for a bit of random rambling xD):

Spoiler:

Years
^ I wonder why half of Alder's team was replaced, sure it wasn't the strongest team but still. Cynthia seems to be the only one who has a team made out of Pokemon she actually had as champ (I think Lance might too though).

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
^ I wonder why half of Alder's team was replaced, sure it wasn't the strongest team but still. Cynthia seems to be the only one who has a team made out of Pokemon she actually had as champ (I think Lance might too though).

Actually, both Lance and Cynthia have made changes to their team. Lance's being more major, while Cynthia just replaced Milotic with a Glaceon. To be honest, I'm happy with the new changes with the Champions. It's a new region, new time, new place, so of course they must have had a chance to train and raise new Pokemon!

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2013

They gave Alder a pokemon from each of his e4 underlings.

Reuniclus - Caitlin
Conkeldurr - Marshal
Chandelure - Shauntal
Krookodile - Grimsley

I think it's a really cool idea, personally, since it kind of shows his dominance over the other four.

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2013
Haha, oh come on. Neither is Green/Blue still a champion, nor is Giovanni still a Gym Leader, nor is Steven still a champion, etc. Obviously that has nothing to do with the discussion at all.

My only disappointments are few with PWT, thankfully.
* One: I wish Iris was in it. Almost doesn't make sense for her not to be, but...
* Two: Very few Dark-types. While there is no Dark-type gym or champion, there are many dual-typed Dark-type Pokemon that didn't get used.
* Three: Even though they programmed in teams for the Elites of other regions, we aren't likely to ever battle them since there are no sprites for them... ALTHOUGH perhaps GameFreak purposely left out the sprites in order to surprise us with their download later! Or maybe that's just wishful thinking. I dunno; seems all bets are off for 5th Gen in general.

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
Years
Steven may or may not still be the champion. Both him and Wallace are champions in the PWT, so I'm not exactly sure what's going on with them. Steven introduced himself as champion in HGSS, but we don't know whether that was before or after RSE.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Haha, oh come on. Neither is Green/Blue still a champion, nor is Giovanni still a Gym Leader, nor is Steven still a champion, etc. Obviously that has nothing to do with the discussion at all.

My only disappointments are few with PWT, thankfully.
* One: I wish Iris was in it. Almost doesn't make sense for her not to be, but...
* Two: Very few Dark-types. While there is no Dark-type gym or champion, there are many dual-typed Dark-type Pokemon that didn't get used.
* Three: Even though they programmed in teams for the Elites of other regions, we aren't likely to ever battle them since there are no sprites for them... ALTHOUGH perhaps GameFreak purposely left out the sprites in order to surprise us with their download later! Or maybe that's just wishful thinking. I dunno; seems all bets are off for 5th Gen in general.

I don't think the E4 will be showing at all. When the PWT was first revealed, they said it was to battle past Champions and Gym Leaders specifically, so I don't believe E4 will ever show up in it.

As for sprites, if the sprites weren't added I do not believe we will get them. From what I know about the games, all sprites are pre-programmed so any ripper can pull it out. Since none exist for them I don't think they'll be showing.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
Steven may or may not still be the champion. Both him and Wallace are champions in the PWT, so I'm not exactly sure what's going on with them. Steven introduced himself as champion in HGSS, but we don't know whether that was before or after RSE.

If I remember correctly...Gen I&III take place three years before Gen II&IV

So Steven is three years older in HG/SS then he was in RSE, they probably swap when Steven gets bored, or there are no challengers

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
Years
The Pokemon World Tournament is a really cool idea, I would gladly take this over the Battle Frontier anyday, but I feel like they could have done it better, with more trainers.

I would love to see previous E4 members here, since we haven't heard from Lorelei, Agatha and the Hoenn E4 in a long time, (even though we're likely to see the Hoenn Elite when / if they remake RS).

I would also have loved to see previous Rivals like Silver, Wally, etc in the Tournament. Well they technically have one in the form of Blue.

And of course everyone would have loved to see past protaginists. Come on, if Red can come down from his beloved Mountain, Brendan and Lucas and all the others could at least drop by and battle a bit. Then again, I'm pretty sure some hackers will hack them in, replacing other trainers because they can, so that's cool.

One interesting feature is that they will let you download Trainers who top VGC's, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's VGC winners who get programed in the game, or like the Top 8 or something, via Wi-Fi event. That's really cool because obviously, people who make it that far in the tournaments will have very good teams with good movesets (Inb4 some random noob gets really lucky with crappy Pokemon), considering GameFreak aren't the best at creating movesets of their own Pokemon. Although I will admit that they are getting better at making movesets, I was looking through Serebii and some people have Choiced Pokemon. For example, I saw Wattson with a Choice Scarfed Rotom-Wash. That's a standard competitive set right there! I also saw a Choice Banded Ferrothorn, although it isn't used too often in Standard play because regular Leech Seeding hazard set is better anyways, but it's still cool.

I'm really looking forward to the Pokemon World Tournament when Black 2 & White 2 get released in North America. I'm also excited to see what other stuff they can do with it, using Wi-Fi events. :]

Aquarius1997

The Horoscopical Master
Years
^when you said you wanted the old rivals to return i completely agree. I wondered why they didnt show up(blue only showed up because he was the champion)

We all know that the trainers in the PWT had revamped music but did anyone else felt that they kinda repressed hoenns revamped music

And also in the RSE remakes do you think the PWT would appear

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Blue and Red are the only two Characters (Rival and PC) to ever be classified as Champions. Blue is the Champion at the end of R/B/G/Y/FR/LG and Red was said to be the champion in G/S/C/HG/SS. None of the other Player characters have ever been mentioned to be CHampions, they even changed the wording I think cause I don't specifically recall any of the Champions after Lance saying you were the new champion, only that you beat them, congrats, hall of fame entry. Which would be the reason why they are still champions when you rechallenge.

So ya it makes sense that May, Brendan, Silver, Wally, Barry, Lucas, Dawn, Ethan, Crystal, Green(girl), or Lyra don't appear. They were never classified as Champions.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Actually I think they DO announce you as the new Champion. However, I think they're used because they're the "official" champions. I mean, a person can go all throughout the game without defeating the Elite Four if they wish to. No one says you HAVE to beat the game. Plus, in Black and White you don't even HAVE to battle Alder. The Elite Four isn't important after you beat N. So I think that this may have had something to do with that. The main reason I don't think the main protagonists as the Champion is this: who cares? No one wants to battle them. You can do that with friends who play. Sure, maybe if you have a Multi Battle option, in which case it'd be neat if Hilda/bert came along; but even then I think I would rather the other protagonist of B2W2.

I will agree and say that Alder's radical change is a little odd, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back