• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Magnius Guide to Pokemon Music Hacking

Years
  • Seen May 3, 2008
I have a problem with Sappy. When I open my Fire Red rom with it, I get a message saying "Sappy has stopped working". Help anyone? I'm using Vista Ultimate if that helps.

Can no one help me with this problem?

Magnius

Pokemon Music Hacking Guru
Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2014
How do we put the export tracks down like.

$T battle?

or

battle $T?
If you're talking about folder names it would go something C:\Pokemon\$T.

As for the problem, it may be a vista related problem and I use XP so I wouldn't be sure how to resolve it.

Also since the document apparently didn't get accepted yet or something, here's a list of music values in Fire Red unless you wanted to change the music in AdvanceMap.

0105 = Healing (RS)
0106 = Level Up
0107 = Evolution Start
0108 = Evolution/Safari
0109 = Battle 1
010A = Battle 2
010B = Unknown/Not listed in Sappy
010C = Fanfare 1
010D = Fanfare 2
010E = You Fail It!
010F = You Fail It Again!
0110 = Follow Me
0111 = Game Corner
0112 = Evil Lurks
0113 = Gym
0114 = Jigglypuff's Song
0115 = Introduction
0116 = Pokemon Theme
0117 = Cinnabar Island
0118 = Lavender Town
0119 = Healing
011A = Bicycle
011B = Encounter 1
011C = Encounter 2
011D = Encounter 3
011E = You're In The Hall of Fame!
011F = Viridian Forest
0120 = Mount Moon
0121 = Abandoned Place
0122 = End Credits
0123 = Route Theme 1
0124 = Route Theme 2/Intro
0125 = Route Theme 3
0126 = Route Theme 4
0127 = Indigo Plateau
0128 = Battle 3
0129 = Battle 4
012A = Battle 5
012B = Battle 6
012C = Pallet Town
012D = Oak's Lab
012E = Oak's Theme
012F = Pokemon Center
0130 = SS Anne
0131 = Surf's Up
0132 = Pokemon Tower
0133 = Silph Co.
0134 = Cerulean City
0135 = Celadon City
0136 = Victory 1
0137 = Victory 2
0138 = Victory 3
0139 = Vermillion City
013A = Viridian City and Pewter City
013B = Gary's Theme
013C = Gary's Theme (bis)
013D = Fanfare 3
013E = Fanfare 4
013F = You caught a Pokemon!
0140 = Trainer Card Photo
0141 = Gamefreak
0142 = Victory 2 (bis)
0143 = Intro Message 1
0144 = Intro Message 2
0145 = Intro Message 3
0146 = Game Corner (+1)
0147 = Game Corner (+2)
0148 = Net Corner
0149 = Mystery Connection
014A = Game Corner (+3)
014B = Mount Ember
014C = Follow Me (alt)
014D = Water Labyrinth
014E = Tanoby Ruins
014F = Islands 1-3
0150 = Islands 4-5
0151 = Islands 6-7(AKA Violet City Theme from GSC)
0152 = PokeFlute
0153 = Battle - Deoxys
0154 = Battle 5 (+1)
0155 = Battle 5 (+2)
0156 = Encounter 4
0157 = Deoxys Encounter
0158 = Trainer Tower
0159 = Pallet Town (fame mix)
015A = Teachy TV

Last edited:

clonex25

Just droppin' by...
Years
I put the D/P Rival music in and it doesn't loop.

Are you going to add that to the tutorial?

Have you ripped it directly from the DS ROM? Or do you have any other resources?
I'm not sure, but the DS MIDI has information loop that only the DS can loop (I think it's almost the same as General MIDI).
To loop it in GBA, you must manually edit the S file. Check the link below my signature.

clonex25

Just droppin' by...
Years
lol think I already did but you never replied.

But yeah, all this will really do is insert what you have in your midi into the game. If you want your midi to sound REALLY good on the Gameboy Advance, it'll have to be tweaked. I've been researching GBA sound myself to make my own GBA remixes sound bette and here's what I've observed...
- On the GBA you can only have a number of "direct" tracks. The number? I'm not sure, the most I'vve been able to get is 3 direct tracks playing at a time, but some of the official Nintendo GBA music uses more, however I haven't figured out how. Direct tracks are anything that isn't GBA synth. Basically instruments like trumpets, violins, strings, anything that isn't GBA synth. The most number of direct tracks I've been able to play at once is 3. One trumpet, one drum track and a strings track. But 3 direct tracks only seems to work, if the third instrument is a string ensemble. Also it seems drums can be the only 2nd "Direct" track as of now. Still I've seen professional Pokemon GBA music using 2 "non drum" direct tracks, so I'm trying to figure out how it's done.

- Since the GBA can only hold so much memory, the "Direct" instruments have certain ranges they can play in. If the instrument goes out of that range, the GBA interprets that as GBA synth.

- "Square" and "Sawtooth" instruments seem to emulate the GBA synth quite nicely.

And yeah, that's what I've observed. Much of how the GBA and Sappy interpret the sounds is still a mystery to me.

I think I've got the formula...

- You can use up to 10 tracks per song: 5 for DirectSound (D/S), and 5 for GB Waveform (GB).
- You can use any instrument in the D/S tracks, provided that you must limit the playing instruments to 6 (including the drums).
- You may reserve a D/S track for the drums.
- You can use the GB tracks for the following: 1. Square1, 2. Square2, 3. Wave, 4. and 5. Noise.
- Two GB tracks are used for the Noise part because Applause (126) has a "smoother" effect than Gunshot (127).
- You may maximize the 5 D/S tracks for town/city/route/cave music.
- You must limit the battle music D/S tracks to 4. This gives a track that the GBA uses for the attack SFX. Maximizing 5 D/S tracks may sacrifice the drums upon execution of attacks like Surf, or when there's a stat change (+ATK, -DEF).

You want to ask: Why does some BGMs have 6 or more D/S tracks? Open a Pokemon FireRed ROM in Sappy, and open Battle 4 (has 10 tracks with 6 D/S tracks in it). Upon observation you will notice that some D/S tracks go OFF upon the execution of other D/S tracks.

Last edited:

Antwhan

setting up for the big beta
Years
I can't seem too get anything to assemble at all. I follow all steps but to no avail. I get errors that there are too many .s in the folder even though u specify one of them. But when i take al lthe other ones out it gives me an error saying it needs one of the ones i just moved. So... I move it back and get the too many files error again.

any ideas on what i am doing wrong?

Rize

The XIII Observer
Years
Try installing Sappy v.1 (AKA Sappy 2005), the installer for which is found at The Helmeted Rodent, where EliteMap is. That will register the appropriate .OCX file needed to run Sappy; you'll now have Sappy 2005 and 2006. Note that you might get an error if you use Vista; I'm getting the "Sappy has stopped working" thing too.

EDIT: I just figured out how to use Sappy if you get the Vista error. Just take the .xml file from Sappy 2006 and replace Sappy 2005's .xml file with the 2006 one, then use Sappy 2005. I just did that and Sappy 2005 dosen't crash and I can get to every song! Wether I can put mine in remains to be seen......

EDIT 2: When I go to compile the song, it has porblems with the .s file or a "type mismatch". Does anyone have any insight on this?

-TSU

Last edited:

clonex25

Just droppin' by...
Years
Umm...I don't know what the problem is, but whenever I insert music, it sounds like a crappy 8-bit system. Do I have too many tracks, or what?
It depends on the song's voicegroup. Let's say the Flute is not available in Pallet Town's voicegroup but is available in Lavender's.

Last edited:

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
Years
Well, I'm into the "Music hacking" stage of my hack now, I just found a bunch of Midi's from:
R/B/Y
G/S/C
R/S/E
Fr/Lg
D/P

For the lower Generations, there are a lot more Midi's available. As for the Upper ones (except R/S/E) there are less available. I don't know how to download them but you can surely record it!
Just dropping by with good news, that's all.

"GB/GBC/GBA/NDS Midis"

Here's an Example Track from RUBY
This should go into the ROM hacking Resources, but I don't know yet...

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
What sort of base destination offset do I have to put in?
Because I've tried 0xEB0B20 and there were only a few instruments
when I used the Newbark Town theme that I downloaded from clonex25's
guide to music looping thread, does enyone know? :\

clonex25

Just droppin' by...
Years
What sort of base destination offset do I have to put in?
Because I've tried 0xEB0B20 and there were only a few instruments
when I used the Newbark Town theme that I downloaded from clonex25's
guide to music looping thread, does enyone know? :\

Use the voicegroup for Lavender Town in order for it to sound perfectly. You may also rearrange it depending on your liking.

Back