• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon PC Version

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
The game does need a bit of touching up as to mapping, but I like the storyline and the Fakémon you made are amazing. I do sincerely (as I stated before) hope this game is successful and goes far.

Thanks. I admit, after playtesting this several times, I've noticed that some of my maps have too much open space, especially when I compare it to actual gameboy maps.

It's difficult, though, because I want to add many options for the player to explore his/her surroundings, which, in my opinion, is crucial for any Pokemon game.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
This takes me back to game boy color! :) I am curious as to why you chose the style of Gold/Silver its nice but i'm just curious good work on the fakemon so far too..

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
This takes me back to game boy color! :) I am curious as to why you chose the style of Gold/Silver its nice but i'm just curious good work on the fakemon so far too..
Two reasons mainly:
  1. I don't see a lot of pokemon fan projects that attempt it.
  2. It would be a nice touch visually for the sake of nostalgia.
I also kind of like working with a limited palette. It allows me to get work done faster, and it gives me a challenge in terms of artwork.

Anyway, while I currently don't have much to offer, I'll show you some sketches I've been doing to demonstrate the process I take:
Spoiler:

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
Hopefully my GSC Styled game will get approved soon....
Anyway, I was wondering just how you struck the designs of your Fakémon? Also, do you need and tips on mapping?

Years
Ooh, this looks interesting. I like the man-made continent idea.

Thanks. I admit, after playtesting this several times, I've noticed that some of my maps have too much open space, especially when I compare it to actual gameboy maps.

It's difficult, though, because I want to add many options for the player to explore his/her surroundings, which, in my opinion, is crucial for any Pokemon game.

Is it possible to increase the field of vision? Enabling the player to see more might make it so the space it used better.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
Is it possible to increase the field of vision? Enabling the player to see more might make it so the space it used better.
I think it's possible. I'm just worried that if I mess with that I would have to reformat everything. I'm not entirely sure, as I haven't tried to do that. For now, I've been trying to make my pathways a little narrower so that it doesn't look like there is too much open space.

Hopefully my GSC Styled game will get approved soon....
Anyway, I was wondering just how you struck the designs of your Fakémon? Also, do you need and tips on mapping?
Specific tips on where my mapping is weak would be REALLY helpful for me, thanks. :)
On the fakemon designs, I guess I can say some are more inspired than others. I can go explain each one:

Kittoal - The basic concept was a fire-lion, so I did a bit of research on lion cubs and added some other features to make it look appealing (I was facinated with the idea of giving it a big, round nose). Other than that, I tried to make it look fiery by using a warm color scheme and upbeat expression

Tadoledon - His concept is essentially a pun of a tree frog, so his base stage is to look like a "leafy tadpole." His name is a portmanteau of "tadpole" and "cotyledon."

Balphin - Mostly inspired by Spheal, and motivated by the fact that there aren't many dolphin-based Pokemon in the official games. I mostly wanted him to look round and funny. The horn on its head will come into play with its final evolution, which is based off a narwhal.

Peccilo - Design-wise, it's somewhat inspired by the look of Starly. I wanted to have a woodpecker in this game, and it's specifically based off of a Pileated Woodpecker, though heavily simplified.

Boundoom - Since it's based off a wall ghost, I thought a boxy, wall-like design would be best suited for it. I also wanted to add a pagoda-like roofing on top of it's head, mainly to stay true to it's folklore. I'm not completely set on him yet.

Clawmbee - Mainly a stereotypical Jiang-shi, with Quing Dynasty-based clothing and a spell tag in front of its face. I might make some tweaks to his design in the future (mainly with its hair, it doesn't look disheveled enough for me), since it's just a sketch.

Eh, I could go on forever. I appreciate your support for this project, and I can't wait to see yours :)

Anyway, I've actually started on implementing battle animations, and I've made my first footage of this game.

Check it out:

Last edited:

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
wow dude love the sketches please finish this cause i plan to play this

and the problem with your maps is everything is too square this is a very old map of mine but it is the only one i have left that i think showcases my best work http://www.pokecommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5114&pictureid=37007
Too square? I don't agree. That's how most places where in the G/S/C days.

The Light Ball item is usable by every single one of Pikachu's line. So even Pichu and Raichu will gain the stat boosts. It also raises the attack stat in addition to special attack.
The Light Ball is supposed to double the attack and special attack. I am however, completely opposed to it working with the whole evolution line, and here's why:

Pikachu has (Base stats of) 55 ATK, and 50 SP.ATK. The light ball will double these, making them 110 and 100, which is pwerful, but still relatively fair in terms of base stats. Especially since his other stats except speed are bottom-of-the-barrel low.

Raichu however, has 90 ATK and 90 SP. ATK. That doubles to 180 each. You just gave Raichu attack stats equivalent to ATTACK FORM DEOXYS. Additionally, the Light Ball is supposed to be an excuse for Pikachu to be a half-way viable Pokémon. You just butchered that in making it work for Raichu.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
The Light Ball is supposed to double the attack and special attack. I am however, completely opposed to it working with the whole evolution line, and here's why:

Pikachu has (Base stats of) 55 ATK, and 50 SP.ATK. The light ball will double these, making them 110 and 100, which is pwerful, but still relatively fair in terms of base stats. Especially since his other stats except speed are bottom-of-the-barrel low.

Raichu however, has 90 ATK and 90 SP. ATK. That doubles to 180 each. You just gave Raichu attack stats equivalent to ATTACK FORM DEOXYS. Additionally, the Light Ball is supposed to be an excuse for Pikachu to be a half-way viable Pokémon. You just butchered that in making it work for Raichu.
I mentioned that Light Ball doubles both attack stats because by default in essentials, it only raises special attack (might be fixed in the next update).

That aside, you raise a good point. My goal was to give Pikachu's evolution and prevo some love, but having 180 stats would make it nearly broken. Maybe I could change the power increase of the item or give Raichu a completely separate item? I kind of want to do something to make up for Raichu's mediocre stats, especially since a majority of the fakemon I'm introducing in this game have relatively high stats by comparison.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
I mentioned that Light Ball doubles both attack stats because by default in essentials, it only raises special attack (might be fixed in the next update).

That aside, you raise a good point. My goal was to give Pikachu's evolution and prevo some love, but having 180 stats would make it nearly broken. Maybe I could change the power increase of the item or give Raichu a completely separate item? I kind of want to do something to make up for Raichu's mediocre stats, especially since a majority of the fakemon I'm introducing in this game have relatively high stats by comparison.

Actually, it you want to do that, you could do what I'm doing to make Pikachu and Raichu "Equivalent". I buffed Pikachu and Raichu together, in different ways. In my game, Pikachu still needs the light ball bonus to be useful, but it has 120 base speed. When evolved to Raichu, it's speed drops to 100 but all it's other stats increase (Substantially). That way, Raichu has less speed, but he's rather bulky all around, but Pikachu is more or less a sweeper.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
Why hello there. Now that winter break has set in for me, I'll have more time to work on this! :D

@Icegod: I came up with a solution, though I still want some opinions. The Lightball still works for all of Pikachu's stages. However, the stats gained from the item are different for each stage:
-Pichu gets a x3 boost, raising its attack and sp.attack to around 90.
-Pikachu gets a x2 boost, as it always had.
-Raichu gets a x1.5 boost, raising its offensive stats to about 135. Still powerful, but not as bad as the 180 that was there before. I think its low defenses can provide a balance, and I still want to make Raichu a viable pokemon.

In other news, I'll share another fake pokemon exclusive to this game:
pokeGB_snapshot26.png

Buduri is a defense-oriented Grass type Pokemon. Similar to oddish, but maybe a little bit better at the role. Fun fact: Buduri is the first fakemon I designed for this project.

Here's a sneak peek into its moovepool:
pokeGB_snapshot25.png

And a screen showing Buduri in action:
pokeGB_snapshot27.png

Other than this, I've been doing a lot of testing and edits of Pokemon evolutions and movepools.

I've also come up with some new stat-boosting items. One of them is the Mawashi, which multiplies the special defense of Makuhita and Hariyama by 2.

Allow me to demonstrate:
pokeGB_snapshot28.png

In a test battle between a confusion-using butterfree and a standard makuhita, makuhita is shown to take over 50% damage from a single confusion by the bastard bug.
pokeGB_snapshot29.png

But if you slap on that Mawashi...
pokeGB_snapshot30.png

The damage is considerably less.

In a similar situation...
pokeGB_snapshot32.png

A psybeam attack from a kadabra directly threatens this Hariyama.
But with the Mawashi...
pokeGB_snapshot31.png

Not nearly as bad!

In other news, I'm also going to rewrite the dex entries for the official pokemon. I'm kind of sick of seeing the defaults. Here is a preview:
pokeGB_snapshot34.png
pokeGB_snapshot33.png

So yeah, I've got a lot of stuff to do. xD I can hopefully get out a short, playable demo of this game by at least the beginning of January. Enjoy

Years
  • Seen Feb 11, 2012
Oh my god! That Peccilo is the cutest fakemon I've ever seen! <3 I really do like the style they have and dang, do they look good! Keep up the awesome work, dude! :D

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
@Icegod: I came up with a solution, though I still want some opinions. The Lightball still works for all of Pikachu's stages. However, the stats gained from the item are different for each stage:
-Pichu gets a x3 boost, raising its attack and sp.attack to around 90.
-Pikachu gets a x2 boost, as it always had.
-Raichu gets a x1.5 boost, raising its offensive stats to about 135. Still powerful, but not as bad as the 180 that was there before. I think its low defenses can provide a balance, and I still want to make Raichu a viable pokemon.

Well, I DO like that idea, but one of the problems is still there. That ruins Pikchu - The reason the Light ball makes Pikachu even excusable for use is because normally, the effect of the light ball ends up giving him 110 attack and 100 special Attack, vs. Raichu's 90 each. In exchange however, Raichu is faster just not as powerful, but can hold items too(Life Orb anyone)? In the end, altering the light ball to work with him at all would kill Pikachu's potential edge over Raichu.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
I don't typically do this, but I thought I'd share the full layouts of some of the major maps in my game. Many of them were altered based on critique on my mapping.

Route 1:
Spoiler:

Route 2:
Spoiler:

Gamma City:
Spoiler:

Route 3:
Spoiler:

Gamma Forest:
Spoiler:

A Pokemon Center
Spoiler:

Alpha City
Spoiler:

Route 5
Spoiler:

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
Looks good mate. My only complaint is that you aren't mapping in GSC Style, which is fine, it just looks slightly off. GSC is very tricky, going by tiles that are 2x2 wide, meaning a single tree tile is 2 trees wide. A good example of this would be Ilex Forest. Notice how it is mapped:

400px-Pokemon-GSC-Johto-IlexForest.png

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
Thanks Evil Arms. I think adapting to that mapping style would be good for showing more detail on the screen, so that I don't have much emptiness going on. Thanks.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
The mapping is a bit rough at the moment, but it should improve as you get more comfortable with it.

I noticed that in all of the routes shown, theres a path from the beginning of the map to the end; all the long grass spots are out of the way, if you get what i mean.
I suggest adding some long grass that intersects the main path. So people would be forced to go through the grass. It makes the routes feel more riskier.

Otherwise, things are looking good. especially that bud pokemon.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
My only complaint aside from DarkDoom's statement about the grass is these areas seem a bit larger than they should be (Most of them, anyway). These maps do look nice however.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
The mapping is a bit rough at the moment, but it should improve as you get more comfortable with it.

I noticed that in all of the routes shown, theres a path from the beginning of the map to the end; all the long grass spots are out of the way, if you get what i mean.
I suggest adding some long grass that intersects the main path. So people would be forced to go through the grass. It makes the routes feel more riskier.

Otherwise, things are looking good. especially that bud pokemon.

I was secretly hoping you would give feedback for this thread.

Anyway. Most of the routes are intended to be at early points in the game. I wanted to construct the difficulty curve in a way that would allow the player to avoid the tall grass completely, but as the game progresses, have more tall grass that intercepts the paths to up the difficulty of the game. Route 5 in particular is a "trainer battle" map, where most of the players encounters will be forced by other trainers, which explains the oddly designed fences. I just don't know if introducing many interceptions would be a good idea for these maps.

Back