• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does it seem that Confusion and Evasion statuses are against you?

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
At least during in-game play? Any time I try to evade to the max I get hit all the time and when they evade I miss all the time. If im confused I hit myself 3/4 times but when they are confused they can hit me like nothing is wrong with them.

Am I the only one that has this problem

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
Definitely I think the AI has better "luck," it's to make the game more challenging and interesting. It gets frustrated and too unfair sometimes, but I wouldn't want it easy.

Years
For some reason when my moves miss at such a critical time or I hit myself in confusion every single time while the opponent barely doesn't miss or even hit itself in confusion I do feel the AI is constantly stacked against me.

Years
It always feels like Confusion/Evasion/Infatuation, etc. always works against the player more often than your opponent, but in reality, it's probably just that I remember the times it negatively effected my own Pokemon rather than when it worked on the opponent. And when I actually think about it, I've had pretty good luck when my Pokemon are confused and not hitting themselves.

The Battle Frontier and the PWT, though, they've got to be rigged. Confuse my opponent? No big deal. My Pokemon gets confused? Oops, it hurt itself in its confusion for the 4th straight turn.

Years
The Battle Frontier and the PWT, though, they've got to be rigged. Confuse my opponent? No big deal. My Pokemon gets confused? Oops, it hurt itself in its confusion for the 4th straight turn.

Yeah the PWT is always never kind to me, especially in the Rental Battles. It's full of opponents that spam moves like Thunder Wave and Double Team. If the opponent gets too lucky, expect me to be a goner lol.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
oh totally everytime my pokemon is confused it hits itself more than the other pokemon. Also evading the moves happens alot in my gym battles and leugue 4. it is annoying.

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
In my current emerald playthrough my opponents can dodge almost every single of my moves while landing critical attacks.
When i land a critical attack it is either on a wild pokemon i am trying to catch and defeat it or when my opponents hp is so low that a crit is insignificant.
At least it seems that now the tables have started to turn

In my current emerald playthrough my opponents can dodge almost every single of my moves while landing critical attacks.
When i land a critical attack it is either on a wild pokemon i am trying to catch and defeat it or when my opponents hp is so low that a crit is insignificant.
At least it seems that now the tables have started to turn

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
It's pretty much a agreed upon fact that in any video game the AI is a cheating bastard.

Agreed. Especially Assassin's Creed. The way soldiers see you through pouring rain from a mile away when you're doing a stealth mission xD

But back to the initial topic...confusion? No, from my observations my odds are as close to 50/50 as is possible. And I have a bit of luck in that in Battle Frontier only my Metagross seems to end up confused, and he's so tough he usually pulls through. Or if he doesn't his Choice Band Meteor Mash KOs himself from >half his hp :(
Evasion on the other hand is ridiculously irritating. I once fought a Venusaur (again in Battle Frontier) which used Double Team once then evaded 6 Dragon Claws from Latios. Irritated didn't cut it.

I guess my opinion also stems from the fact that I appreciate confusion as a tactic more than evasion, despite the fact that evasion probably makes more sense.

Turnip

Magnificent Turnip
Years
It's pretty much a agreed upon fact that in any video game the AI is a cheating bastard.

^ This. Yes.

There's critical hits, too. Oh, the opponent's Pokémon has about 2HP left, and I can faint it with my weakest move? Oh, look! Crit, where've you been all this time?

What? My Pokémon can't take 2 more hits from the opponent, but it can easily take 1 and win the battle? Crit?! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE? YOU BETRAYED ME!

Anyhow, I usually just save state out of that stuff. Half-cheating beats it any day...

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
I was just fighting Lance in HG/SS the other night, and I was using Confuse Ray at every chance I got, and not ONCE did he actually hurt himself in confusion.. I used Confuse Ray like 6 times. FFS Gamefreak. Balance yo game.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I confused a Gyarados with my Misdreavus' Psybeam, not once did it hurt itself out of the four turns when it was confused... -.-
I can't help but think the AI is cheating, there have been many occurrences that the opposition in game defies the odds, this thread is proof of it! ;P

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
When opponents start to minimize and double team that ticks me off soooo much! also, confusion, specially when I'm battling competitively makes me so mad!

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
When i try to evade or use protect or detect, it fails (thats one of the main reason i focus on offensive) when im confused my pokemon always hurt themselves, when the enemy is confused they always seem to hit my pokemon.

Years
I pretty much agree with Brendino's post that I probably forget when it works to my advantage. I also prefer to just use moves that do damage when in-game rather than Confuse Ray/Thunder Wave etc. so I don't use it enough to work in my favour.

Soul Silver is the worst though, I've just finished it for the second time and there's undoubtedly many more paralysis causing pokémon than in any other game in the series.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I think we can all agree that the other Pokémon is rigged up to get a perfect score against you XD

Well not really. I don't recall any situation in which confusion works FOR me (I know this because of a second person) but I always record the negative ones. It's always like that, it's nature, isn't it? Always focus on the bad and never relish the good.

But yes I still strongly feel that the AI is rigged even though it's making me sound like a complete hypocrite.

tnfsf11

Yes pretty much all the time the odds are against me when it comes to Confusion/Infatuation/Evasion, more like Bad Luck Brian tbh :/

BUT GameFreak could make it less horrible for us by making moves that deal more damage if the user is confused or infatuated, like the effect of Guts but with the "invisible" status problems...

Back