• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Sep 22, 2010
In HackMew's Knowledge but Shinyzer is easy to use ;)
I assume it would be, if I knew what an ASM offset was.

I looked at the tutorial and it scared me away.
New question: I'm scripting in a person to give you the national dex early in the game. Whats the item number for the national dex, and will this present problems later when oak gives you the national dex?

Maco

learning the ropes...
Years
I assume it would be, if I knew what an ASM offset was.

An offset is the location of some particular information within the ROM. With Shinyzer, the offset would be the pokemon/palette you want to make shiny. Goddam I'm on a huge spree of misinformation today. :\
I should research more before posting.

Last edited:

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
i'm having a problem with emerald. when i open it on a-map, it's all blurry, and then the rom doesn't work. how do i fix that?

Screenshot?

I registered some .ocx files to run sappy on Vista and now it gives me this:

Code:
vbalComboEx6

Run-time error '429':

ActiveX component can't create object

Than, it tells me this:

Code:
Sappy 2006

Failed to load control 'vbalCboEx' from vbalCbEx6.ocx. Your Version of 
vbalCbEx6.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version 
of the control that was provided with your application.

What's wrong?

Instead of manually registering the .ocx files, just use the original setup. It will take care of the registering as well.

Is there a tutorial for Shinyzer?

You know, you could have use the search function. Read here. Carefully.

New question: I'm scripting in a person to give you the national dex early in the game. Whats the item number for the national dex, and will this present problems later when oak gives you the national dex?

The National Dex is not an item. Please use the search function next time.
- FR/LG: special 0x16F
- Emerald: special 0x1F3

An offset is the location of some particular information within the ROM. With Shinyzer, the offset would be the pokemon/palette you want to make shiny.

Bold is wrong, absolutely. The Shinyzer requires an offset where to put its routine. It has nothing to do with palettes or whatever.

Last edited:

Maco

learning the ropes...
Years
I'm having trouble changing the title screen background:

Spoiler:

The new background is properly indexed, 240x160 pixels. I used sphere for removing the duplicate tiles, so the actual tileset in NTME looks like this:
TilesetIndexed.png

I'm also confused on a few points, every tutorial is either way too vague or contradicts another in some way:

1. Should the NTME preset size be 32x20 (called FR/LG TS) or 30x20 (which is the resolution of the actual GBA screen)?

2. I've read that the tileset should be 128x128 pixels. Does this matter (because other guides don't mention this at all)?

3. Do you replace the original image (the Gamefreak/Press Start image) with the tileset image or the actual background image?

Thanks in advance

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
Years
Hi everyone, I'm brand new to hacking (today spent time looking at various programs and whatnot). The thing is, I'm not really sure where to start.

In what order do I need to learn everything? Should I learn how to make maps first? What about characters? Maybe I should even start with scripting?

I've already learned how to modify Pokemon stats/movesets and the like using very simple programs, but now that I am trying to learn about maps, it's not something I'm gonna learn just by pushing buttons like some other programs :P

So, again what order should I be learning everything?

Destiny.

The Absol Master
Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2019
Well, have you got a list of the available Pokémon?
Yes, I got the hex values as well from neoseeker

But I don't know how to locate the specific game corner hex data, or how it is laid out >.<

Buizark

Always looking for an OU match
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 5, 2016
Hi everyone, I'm brand new to hacking (today spent time looking at various programs and whatnot). The thing is, I'm not really sure where to start.

In what order do I need to learn everything? Should I learn how to make maps first? What about characters? Maybe I should even start with scripting?

I've already learned how to modify Pokemon stats/movesets and the like using very simple programs, but now that I am trying to learn about maps, it's not something I'm gonna learn just by pushing buttons like some other programs :P

So, again what order should I be learning everything?
The order I went was Mapping>Scripting>OW graphics
Its all based on personal preferances.And mapping can be learned by pressing around on advance map.Kinda

Years
  • Seen Mar 9, 2010
Time for me to post some old questions I still haven't gotten answers for. XD *tries not to be suck a wall of text*

1. I changed the look of the lab to the look of a secret base and now (without changing or even moving the warp) it leads to " 's BASE". How can I fix this? Please help.

2. Because I fail at life I can't work out how to make a berry already be growing in soft, loamy soil. I would really to be able to do this.

3. What would happen if you ran into a trainer if you had no Pokemon?/Is it possible to make them just say something until you obtain your starter and if so, how?

I'm sorry if these questions are really stupid and obvious. ^^;

Maco

learning the ropes...
Years

I think Hex Editing/ASM is regarded as being the hardest things to do, hacking-wise. You might want to build up from changing graphics/mapping, then to scripting.

It's really up to you where you want to start though, and what you want to change in your hack.

Years
  • Seen Sep 22, 2010
The National Dex is not an item. Please use the search function next time.
- FR/LG: special 0x16F
- Emerald: special 0x1F3
Sorry, I've been searching through thread titles, and not the threads themselves. Thanks for the help, I've scripted it successfully.

Years
  • Seen Sep 5, 2010
A flying Pokmon sprite appears, in-game, with a small shadow-like circle below it, to give the illusion that it is in air. Whenever i replace one of these flying sprites with my Pokemon, Shaymin for example, It still appears ingame with the shadsow below it. It looks like my Shaymin is flying! Can I alter this?

Years
Sceptile Kiddie, I suggest you download Wichu's Advanced Series tool compilation, found in the toolbox. Amongst other things, the tool compilation has a very helpful Pokémon Positioner (I'm unsure of the exact name), which allows you to alter the position, shadow (or not-shadow), etc. of the Pokémon in question.

Maco

learning the ropes...
Years
I'm having trouble changing the title screen background...

I'm also confused on a few points, every tutorial is either way too vague or contradicts another in some way:

1. Should the NTME preset size be 32x20 (called FR/LG TS) or 30x20 (which is the resolution of the actual GBA screen)?
  2. I've read that the tileset should be 128x128 pixels. Does this matter (because other guides don't mention this at all)?
  3. Do you replace the original image (the Gamefreak/Press Start image) with the tileset image or the actual background image?

And again I manage to answer my own posts and look stupid :embarrass

1. This should be 32x20, leave the last two columns on the right as the transparent colour.
  2. The tileset can be of any size as long as the sides are a multiple of 8 (although max 256 width).
  3. Replace it with the tileset. Also make sure the top left tile of the tileset is the background colour.

If anyone is a bit lost on changing the Background (background only, I haven't tried the Charizard/flames animation/logo yet) for FireRed send me a PM and I'll be glad to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back