• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

♠ The Art of RNG ♠ | RNG Guides [OLD]

Bring challenges back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
Ok... Time to show off my entry. I was thinking a little creative here. I chose Slakoth. Now, yes the name is based off of a sloth [and in the anime it's appearance is more like a sloth], the sprite has always made me think of a Lemur. It's shadow around the eyes, and stripes. The Lemur is the only primate known to hibernate [although I was reading that this is a much shorter hibernation than we traditionaly think of such as bears have]. To fathur my Lemur analogy I am refering you all to King Jullian from Penguins of Madagasgar who does a lot of dancing... Vigoroth, Slakoth's first evolution, I have always thought looks more like it's dancing than it's attacking in it's animated sprite. Lastly, its final evolution is Slaking [King -- As in King Jullian].

I decided he needed to be Relaxed only for aesthetic reasons, a sleeping, hibernating Pokemon sure better feel relaxed... And I decided to sync the Characteristic into this challenge, which was harder than I thought it would be... I had to make sure I only had one perfect in order to assure this. So here I present my very sleepy, hibernating[or at least hibernating every other turn], Slakoth who hopes one day to be a King just like the cute annoying Lemur from penguins:

dpmfsb287.png

Slokoth - *Shiny*
Male - Relaxed
Egg Hatched - Lvl. 1
31 / 15 / 29 / 9 / 28 / 23
HP - Steel 36
**Characteristic - Often Dozes Off **
He was a lot of fun to RNG.

As for the question of the day:
I have a mental list of which pokemon I want to RNG. Most of the time I just care about shiny and stats are a little secondary. I get more interested in a decent Hidden Power than I do actual stats, even if I dont intend to put Hidden Power on it. My first goals as an RNGer are a collection of shiny starters [half way there], a collection of shiny Eevolutions [not there yet as I want wish as an egg move and I've been too lazy to raise my Togepi to get it], and most of the Pokemon from the fairy egg group[I like cute Pokemon]. I also want to RNG all my Legendaries from now on [so far only done a Giratina]. There area a few random Pokemon I am RNGing in the process. For example, the Snorlax I showed off yesterday. I needed a male Snorlax to pass down Belly Drum to my Charizard while doing the First Gen Starters [I was copying a Bellyzard I saw on Smogon]. I figured since I was breeding to get a Male in the first place I might as well breed him Shiny, and since I was going to RNG him I might as well give him some decent stats too. Likewise I RNGed a Roselia, while part of the Fairy Group it's not one of the species I consider "cute" and part of my must have list... I needed Aromatherapy to pass down to a Chansey though. I am glad I did RNG the Roselia though because the Shiny Sprite in my opinion is so cool I feel I would have missed out by not doing it. So anytime I am planning on breeding an egg move I'm sidetracking my RNG plans to include the father pokemon being bred shiny first. Lastly, a few random Pokemon I happen to like are getting done early. Such as Porygon, which I've bred two shiny, and done a capture [the capture was my team rocket challenge entry]. The capture was partially because I wanted my first RNG capture to be a pokemon that was special to me, and partially because I messed up both my egg hatched ones by giving them the wrong ability.

Ever since Emerald I have been enthusiastic about breeding. I was once able to chain breed to get a Pokemon with four perfect IV's. That was a lot and I mean a LOT of getting eggs and hatching them over and over. At the time I had nearly an hour commute to work by bus and spent my bus ride every day playing Pokemon. RNGing takes a lot less time out of breeding. Last night I decided I would take a crack at Emerald RNG abuse. I understand why it would be annoying for most use. However, I think I'll get the hang of it. If I do.... I'll be looking to restart Emerald soon so I can catch all the Hoenn Legendaries shiny, especially the Golem Trio. Trouble is I think I would want to buy a second copy of Emerald somewhere... I have every box in my pc full, and I'm only around 10 pokemon shy of a complete National Dex. We'll see. I need some continued experimentation before I decide if playing around in Emerald is worth my time or not.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Okay...for your question...I'm going to say:

I pretty much plan my RNG abuses, but they sometimes get a bit problematic (I focus on all of them, making it harder).

Speaking of RNG abuse...I think I'll just stop on HGSS RNG abuse. Man, that RNG abuse is a pain. Delays are going to drive me crazy. I'd rather work on BW RNG abuse...I have yet to get the SPR2012 Zekrom (it is spring, right?) and Nobunaga's Rayquaza. I think it could go well. If it doesn't, I'll just leave them in the box and transfer them when I can. It's a long shot anyway...because I use a flash cart.\

(I hope this isn't a problematic post)

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
So, after much hard work, I finally present entry for the challenge:

008.png
1.png
008.png

Bulbasaur ♂ Lv. 10
OT: Spock | ID: 51241
Nature: Modest
Ability: Chlorophyll
IVs: 31, 10, 31, 30, 31, 30 Fire 70
EVs: Untrained
Moves: Tackle, Growl, Leech Seed, Vine Whip
Not For Trade
Injected into Entralink, Japanese Rom

Bulbasaur might not be the first thing you think of when you think of a hibernating Pokemon, but I'd like to think that it does hibernate during the winter. It needs to protect its bulb and the best way to do that is to find a nice, warm cave and lay down to sleep during the cold season. Then, when it comes around to spring, it could show up and enjoy the warmer weather and the sunshine and then perhaps its bulb will have matured enough to work on blooming, then evolving into Ivysaur and eventually Venusaur.

I hope that's OK... lol, I wanted to do Bulbasaur really bad xD

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Ooh, that looks nice! (I actually need one of those!)
I'd like to do the challenge...but I'm still confused. And I decided to quit HGSS RNG abuse for a while. Those events aren't going to come themselves!

Speaking of the events, I plan on RNG abusing Rayquaza and Zekrom. I think I understand most things for the Zekrom, but there is one step in the guide that I'm a bit confused about.

"Hit your seed once and find the IVs you find which is the initial frame.
In most cases, it will be the first frame, after you calculate the initial PIDRNG frame."

Now, what I'm confused on this part is about "find the IVs you find which is the initial frame" and the rest after that.
About find the IVs you find...find which Pokemon's IVs? Is it the Wondercard one? And about the initial frame...you'd find your initial frame using the IVs you found, right? And you'd also have to calculate your initial PIDRNG frame too, right? If you do, how? Does it go like how you'd find your initial frame? And there's also a part that says...

"Hit your seed again, do the required advances, and verify your Pokemon.
Adjust accordingly."

Now, what would adjust accordingly mean? Does it mean I have to adjust something when I have to? And if I should, what should I adjust? The advances I have to do?

Well, after that, I have no problems.

(I hope this one doesn't bring problems)

Last edited:

LegendaryFSK

I control my own fate.
Years
So, after much hard work, I finally present entry for the challenge:

008.png
1.png
008.png

Bulbasaur ♂ Lv. 10
OT: Spock | ID: 51241
Nature: Modest
Ability: Chlorophyll
IVs: 31, 10, 31, 30, 31, 30 Fire 70
Moves: Tackle, Growl, Leech Seed, Vine Whip
Not For Trade
Injected into Entralink, Japanese Rom

Bulbasaur might not be the first thing you think of when you think of a hibernating Pokemon, but I'd like to think that it does hibernate during the winter. It needs to protect its bulb and the best way to do that is to find a nice, warm cave and lay down to sleep during the cold season. Then, when it comes around to spring, it could show up and enjoy the warmer weather and the sunshine and then perhaps its bulb will have matured enough to work on blooming, then evolving into Ivysaur and eventually Venusaur.

I hope that's OK... lol, I wanted to do Bulbasaur really bad xD

Very creative thinking and now that you mention it, Bulbasaur does seem like it it would hibernate. Love it.

Just gonna post some of my most recent abuses. I RNG'd the Abra a couple days ago, and the rest I did today. Just had the urge to RNG a few of my favorite 5th Gen Pokémon today.

004.png
063.gif
004.png

Abra
male.png
| Level 1
Jay Jay | 37261 | Black
Timid | Magic Guard | 31 31 31 31 31 31
Teleport | Calm Mind | Psychic | Substitute

004.png
610.gif
004.png

Axew
shiny.png
female.png
| Level 1
Jay Jay | 37261 | Black
Adamant | Mold Breaker | 31 31 31 31 31 31
Scratch | Dual Chop | XXXXX | XXXXX

004.png
559.gif
004.png

Scraggy
shiny.png
female.png
| Level 1
Jay Jay | 37261 | Black
Jolly | Moxie | 31 31 31 31 31 31
Dragon Dance | Ice Punch | Drain Punch | Low Kick

004.png
572.gif
004.png

Minccino
shiny.png
female.png
| Level 1
Jay Jay | 37261 | Black
Jolly | Technician | 31 31 31 31 31 31
Pound | Thunder Wave | XXXXX | XXXXX​

johnny18

Kiss Me Like It's Do or Die
Years
About find the IVs you find...find which Pokemon's IVs? Is it the Wondercard one?
Yes in this case as you want to RNG a wondercard.

And about the initial frame...you'd find your initial frame using the IVs you found, right? And you'd also have to calculate your initial PIDRNG frame too, right? If you do, how? Does it go like how you'd find your initial frame?
For wondercard abuse in 5th gen, IVs are tied with nature so all you need to do --->
you hit your seed and don not do any advance at this point, check the pokemon's IVs and nature, then compare it to the main window to see what frame you end up and that will be your initial frame (no worries about initial PIDRNG frame). Then you do it again but this time advance the frame to get to the frame you want and you shall get your desire wondercard mon ;)

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
Years
Bro, awesome Bulbasaur and good explanation, I like it!

LegendaryFSK, nice abuses! I'm in love with your Mincinno ;)

Time for my challenge post 8D

From Camilla's Journal a small Challenge Fick - explanation:
The true is, she was the very first Pokemon of this species I saw on the route and in my life as well. Probably, she was the first awoken from the sleep! I found her training some punches on a huge brick of ice, late at night. My Abra felt a bond between himself and her and manipulated my Carnivine to attract her with Sweet Scent! I wanted to hide but I slipped on the ice and accidentialy dropped my pokeball with Pelipper and he got out of it. She wanted a battle - if I was asleep for about three months, I would definitely like to battle too! She used Belly Drum in the very beginning of the battle. I was impressed by her spirit, spirit of a true warrior. During a fierce battle which was full of powerful techniques I realized that she would be a great partner for me and my team. Eventually, both Pokemon my Pelipper and the Pokemon were exhausted. That was the moment I threw a Nest Ball and... I did it! I caught her! Click on the spoiler to see what got!

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Thanks for that! I'll be back with my latest abuses! All I need now is a Sweet Scent user so I can find my parameters and an IV checker (I can't use Pokecheck in my place, not sure why...it worked with ReignOfComputer's server that did the same thing)...would an online checker do (like Serebii's)?
Secondly, I'm a bit confused on this part:

check the pokemon's IVs and nature, then compare it to the main window to see what frame you end up and that will be your initial frame (no worries about initial PIDRNG frame).

The Pokemon is the Wondercard one again, right? And comparing it to the main window...the main window is the first window that pops up when you open RNG Reporter...and you compare the IVs and Nature. After I did that, then how do I find my frame (which will be the initial frame)? Do I use the IVs? And comparing it does what, actually?

And another thing...if you received a Wondercard Pokemon and turned off without saving, the delivery man would still be able to give you your Wondercard Pokemon, right?

(Sorry, I just don't get most things when it comes to abusing for IVs)

Last edited:

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I don't really plan my RNGs, unless I need the Pokémon for a specific team or someone has requested it. Most of the time it's a matter of surfing Smogon and seeing an interesting moveset, seeing a shiny sprite and thinking it's pretty or just a random obsession with the Pokémon at the time.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Well, I'm back with my newest RNG abuse...a Shiny Zubat! It's for the Wake Up Slap Challenge.

Spr_5b_041_f_s.png

No.041 Zubat, Lv.1 (UT), Quiet nature, Inner Focus ability.
OT Jason, ID No. 56796.
Moves: Leech Life
IVs: Unknown
EVs: None

The reason I chose Zubat is because bats hibernate and Zubat is a bat-like Pokemon.
It isn't really creative, but I have to give a reason, right?

This Zubat isn't really great...it's just a Shiny Pokemon. I have no idea about how to RNG abuse for good IVs...yet.

johnny18

Kiss Me Like It's Do or Die
Years
The Pokemon is the Wondercard one again, right? And comparing it to the main window...the main window is the first window that pops up when you open RNG Reporter...and you compare the IVs and Nature. After I did that, then how do I find my frame (which will be the initial frame)? Do I use the IVs? And comparing it does what, actually?
Yes, the pokemon is the wondercard one since you want to RNG a wondercard. yes for the main window. What I mean is just using pokemon IVs and nature to look for your frame, to see which frame matches up with your pokemon's IVs and nature.

And another thing...if you received a Wondercard Pokemon and turned off without saving, the delivery man would still be able to give you your Wondercard Pokemon, right?
As long as you do not save the game then yes, the delivery man will still give you the pokemon.

Thanks for that! I'll be back with my latest abuses! All I need now is a Sweet Scent user so I can find my parameters and an IV checker (I can't use Pokecheck in my place, not sure why...it worked with ReignOfComputer's server that did the same thing)...would an online checker do (like Serebii's)?
Yes, you can use that but they will give you a range of IVs rather than exact IVs.

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
I wanted to give an update on my Emerald progress.... Attempting to RNG for a collection of Ditto's that I can use for Gen III breeding... And learning RNG in Gen III so that I can RNG my legendarys as well as RNG a team I want to bring to Mt Battle.

One thing I have determined is that soft resetting Emerald is just not for me, it feels too akward, and I don't feel I am consistantly starting the clock and hitting my soft reset at the same time. I am using my two stage timer I use for Gen IV abuse, but instead of a long delay first followed by a shorter delay I'm using a five second delay first, then reset when that reaches zero, mash A until I'm in the game world, then select my sweet scenter and hit A for sweet scent once the second timer reaches zero.

I found that soft resetting and trying to determine a calibration time that I was off by one or two seconds once then off by one or two in the opposite direction the second time... Although by sheer luck I did hit one of the spreads I was hoping to catch during this calibration phase [although not the one I was aiming for at the time, which is why I say I hit it by sheer dumb luck]. Without changing my timer at all I ended up as far off as two second, and as close as ten frames. That's way too huge of a window of error to be acceptable, and I really feel it had to do with trying to hold down SEL/START/A/B and release at the right moment. The A/B aren't an issue, but the SEL & Start are just not comfortable to try to hold down and then release at the right time.

Last night, I decided to try a hard reset. Still using the two stage timer, with a five second pre-delay. Only now, I am hitting A for the GBA slot on my DS when the first timer reaches zero, instead of trying to soft reset. I started my calibration phase with the actual time I was aiming for. My first try I was off by only five frames. My second I was off by a dozen frames the other way. I tried a few dozen tries before I was too tired and had to go to sleep, but I was within +/- 20 frames on each attempt. Luckily, the spread I am aiming for at the moment is only about thirty second in [frame 2238: 0.37.30 -- Sassy -- 31/31/4/31/14/26]. I know the biggest trouble with Emerald RNG is the often long waits for a spread you want. It helps that at the moment I'm not caring about Nature or Shiny -- Only IV combinations.

Question though:
I don't see anything about determining encounter slots in Emerald. RNG reporter only tells the stats for Gen III not which slot the poke is... I would hate to be trying all this work for that frame to not even be a ditto. Anyone with experience on Gen III RNG able to advise me?

Last edited:

loucas

100% hot
Years
then i have my entry :D

172.png

Pichu
Jolly Nature
OT:Alexand ID:00227
Lv. 1
25/31/25/31/31/31​

Mice* Hibernates during the winter, but they go out sometimes to collect food.

ABOUT THE TOPIC:

uh, well, i plan to rng everything i get one time in the game, (Volcarona, Virizion, etc) but as for normal pokes, i rng what i see is the easiest :D i hate NPCs.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
OOOPS. Haven't posted here in a while. I've learned how to RNG eggs in Platinum recently, and have gotten two eggs today. I was working on another, but I'm going to my grandmother's soon, so I'll just wait till I get there. Anyway...some stuff I've RNG'd on Black recently:

Spoiler:

That's all for Black. Now today on Platinum, I have these:

Spoiler:

As far as the topic goes, I just kinda RNG out of the blue. Pokemon who have nice shinies that I've always desired, Pokemon I'm randomly interested in, etc. So not really planned most of the time. I do plan on going for Modest Hydro Pump Bagon and a Modest Dark Pulse Deino. Both shiny, obv. lol[/SIZE]

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Nice abuses everyone! Glad to see people getting in the spirit of the challenge. I just did a RNG for our lovely TwilightBlade tonight!

004.png
341.png
004.png

Corphish ♂ Lv. 1
OT: Ginny | ID: 51120
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Adaptability
IVs: 31, 31, 31, 0, 31, 31 Electric 59
Moves: Bubble, Superpower, Dragon Dance, ***
Non-Redis

Woot ^^

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
I did the challenge I didn't want to do. Here is Oddish.

043.png

Oddish
friend-ball.png

Modest | Chlorophyll | Lv.5
Absorb | Sweet Scent
31 | 26 | 31 | 30 | 31 | 30 [HP
fire.gif
70]

Oddish is a plant and plants "sleep" during the winter. Improvised. >.>​

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Thank you everyone for participating in the challenge with great abuses! Now, time for the next challenge!

March 23rd was International Puppy Day... so RNG a Pokemon that you'd keep as a pet!

Make sure you explain why this Pokemon would be a good pet.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
Thank you everyone for participating in the challenge with great abuses! Now, time for the next challenge!

March 23rd was International Puppy Day... so RNG a Pokemon that you'd keep as a pet!

But Mac... I think I'ld keep ANY of them as a pet... Do you mind me suggesting that we have to explain why it would make a good pet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back