• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

4th Gen PokeAthlon or Pokemon Contests?

The PokeAthlon or Pokemon Contests?

• The PokeAthlon!

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Pokemon Contests!

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I didn't enjoy any of them.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I loved to participate in both!

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
4FxEm.png

In Diamond, Pearl and Platinum contests were reunited with Pokemon Contests from the previous generation RSE. But what were your thoughts on Pokemon Contests? In Heart Gold and Soul Silver, a new addition was introduced known as the PokeAthlon. What were your thoughts on this brand, spanking new addition? Comparing the two, which did you squeeze the most enjoyment out of? Why? Did one attract you more than the other? How so?

Personally, I loved both additions, but I definitely fell in love with the concept of the PokeAthlon almost immediately. Contest were new to me as well, as I hadn't really played much of RSE; however, I didn't seem to warm up them as well and as quickly in comparison. With that being said, it's only natural that I enjoyed playing the PokeAthlon more. There was a variety of mini-games as well a variety of useful and rare items that could be bought with the points that you racked up after each time you participated. I think it was a great incentive to play. Whereas with Pokemon Contests, there were only three mini-games, and hardly any of them were fun. They were repetitive and lack-luster, and didn't require much skill to be used to win in them, than in The PokeAthlon.

What's your stance? Discuss!

MzsYw.png

Years
I was never much of a fan of the Contests to begin with in RSE, so I wasn't all that excited for Super Contests (I only ended up playing them two or three times at most).

I did, however, really enjoy the Pokeathlon in HG/SS, and it's still one of the main reasons I continue playing my HeartGold. The mini-games were quite different from what you usually see in the games, and it added a certain level of skill that made it both competitive and fun. I didn't quite understand how the Aprijuice was supposed to work though, so I never really ended up using it (but I still managed to beat my opponents anyway).

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

To be honest, the Pokemon contests were really boring. They had absolutely nothing going for me, I really disliked it. On the other hand, I absolutely loved the Pokeathaon. I played that thing to death. It was a good balance between luck, skill and having a balanced team. Most of the events were great. I would pay $50 dollars more to have this back in the next gen.

Years
I didn't enjoy R/S/E's Pokemon Contests, however the D/P/Pt Super Contests were slightly more fun and I liked showing off my Pokemon's moves not to mention you get to wear a tuxedo/dress like the coordinators in the anime.

The Pokeathlon, not so much cos I found most events difficult and my only good course was the Stamina course. Also, I didn't care much about Aprijuice.

So, Super Contests for me.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
The Super Contests in DPPt for myself were less entertaining than the RSE contests. The dress-up part felt contrived and beyond the mild amusement of putting silly clothing on Pokemon that didn't fit was pretty boring. The dance section was alright but nothing special or memorable, and the main part was worse than RSE's as you couldn't take off points from other Pokemon, and that imo was half the fun! =( Still enjoyed them, but I did prefer the original form of contests.

Certainly enjoyed the Pokeathlon though; lots of variety in the minigames and it provided a fair bit of entertainment as well.

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
Pretty much what everyone else is saying about the contests applies for me too. I found RSE 200% more entertaining than the Super Contests. I liked how you had you're pokemon drawn/others' pokemon drawn, it added an artistic feel that lacks in Super Contests...
I found PokeAthlon to be very amusing, I was pretty good at it too. So overall, PokeAthlon IS better than the 'Super Contests'.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Even though I liked doing D/P/Pt's Pokemon Contests, I enjoyed doing the Pokeathlon more, because I found the minigames there more fun and challenging. The Contests needed a lot of luck and good timing, IMO.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I think it would be nice if they were both in HG/SS but contests weren't introduced til gen 3 so I see why they didn't do that. But I like the Pokeathlon alot more. I like doing the Speed and Power one except for the stupid soccer course. I could never win that.

WillPowerPedro

https://soundcloud.com/cammdavidson
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 9, 2022
I didn't like either one. I liked battling pokemon instead of doing contest. I only did them when I needed a prize. And stuff.

Mentalii

Back
Years
At RSE time, I really enjoyed the contests. It was a good adding, and awesome at that time. Now, I realize they weren't that exceptional, and I'm quickly bored when doing them :)
On the contrary, I love the Pokéathlon. It's very funny, I could spend hours just doing that, just to beat records.
Maybe that I had more fun in my life with the contests, because I was young and it seemed so awesome at that time, but currently I prefer the Pokéathlon by far.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 11, 2012
I like them both. I do Contests when I'm in the mood to show off my cutest or most badass pokemon and I prefer the Hoenn Contests(the dress ups didn't turn out as fun as I thought they'd be and I hated the dancing section since I'm not good with those type of "on your toes" controls). I do the Pokeathlon when I'm the mood to do friendly competitive sports(ironic, since I'm terrible at sports in real life outside of Wii Sports).

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
The PokéAthlon was better by far in my opinion, it was so much fun playing those minigames with your Pokémon and earning the various trophies was always a good time waster xD I also love how each Pokémon had it's own stats for the various games, trying to win some of them with Diglett was just hilarious haha. As for contests, I did enjoy them a lot but I was really disappointed that there was only one contest hall. I much preferred how contests were in RSE and based on how prominent they were in the anime I'm very surprised they weren't a bigger feature of DPPt D:

Years
Pokéthlon, Pokéthlon, a thousand times, Pokéthlon! :D

I found them SO MUCH MORE fun than the Super Contests in DPPt. I think they tried to accentuate the fact that contests were a different thing to battling, adding more focus to the appearance of the Pokémon by dressing them up and dancing and whatnot. I actually preferred the contests in RSE, even if there didn't seem as much to them.

And overall I definitely preferred the Pokéthlon. It was just more fun to actually play games rather than "Oh, so I'm gonna take these berries I'd never use otherwise and make Poffins, feed them to a Pokémon, enter a contest and then probably come third if not last, anyway". I just find the Pokéthlons much more enjoyable and rewarding, since you can exchange your points for prizes that are actually useful in-game, such as evolutionary stones and whatnot. So Pokéthlons win, for me!

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
The Pokeathlon appealed so much more to me. My love of contests back then was crazy but when the Pokeathlon came in HG/SS, I was completely hooked. It was like a Pokemon Olympics basically, with courses not testing a Pokemon's battling skills but how it acheived in sports.

I use to spend hours, participating as it was a fun challenge.I love Gamefreak for adding this, it's just the most amazing addition ever X3!

Back