• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What did you think of 'King' N?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
So I wanted to recreate this thread earlier but I figured it'd be easier if we just made it an ongoing discussion, woo! Anyway so while there's the normal thread asking about what's so good about N, this thread is rather about his title of a King and whether you felt it was appropriate for Pokemon, so there is a difference! Remember older posters likely won't reply but feel free to discuss with newer posters,

~~~gogogogo~~~

Years
At first, when I saw the cutscene thing before the main menu, I thought it seemed awesome, his whole coronation, and it seemed incredibly intriguing. I found the whole "king thing" to be a little cultish, and weird for pokemon lateer on though. I still thought the whole thing was cool, but with the sages and the blind faith, it felt a little..strong? I don't know what word I'm looking for. I like the idea, I just feel it was a little intense/unexpected maybe? But I also feel like it was good for those reasons showing that maturity in pokemon games and amping up the games. :D

Years
At first, when I saw the cutscene thing before the main menu, I thought it seemed awesome, his whole coronation, and it seemed incredibly intriguing. I found the whole "king thing" to be a little cultish, and weird for pokemon lateer on though. I still thought the whole thing was cool, but with the sages and the blind faith, it felt a little..strong? I don't know what word I'm looking for. I like the idea, I just feel it was a little intense/unexpected maybe? But I also feel like it was good for those reasons showing that maturity in pokemon games and amping up the games. :D

I mostly agree with Golurk on this one.

I have to admit that while the opening cutscene was different from other games, it was a fun one to watch. I was thinking "What the heck we have a king in the Pokemon games? This can't be right." but when I read more about N's backstory I eventually found out how interesting this was.

I did like the idea of N as king, but it did feel a little unexpected, especially for franchise newcomers. However, it also has a mature side to it, which totally accommodated the older gamers like myself and also added that dark twist to it.

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
I don't know about king I saw some other posts saying prince however his teams didn't truly suit royalty I mean

Zekrom/Reshiram, Carracosta, Archeops, Klinklang, Zoroark & Vanilluxe

its not really royal or medieval since if we go by chess standards which are
King, Queen, Knight, Bishop, Rook & Pawn
This team may have fitted better

Zekrom/Reshiram, Lilligant, Stoutland, Bisharp, Golurk, Durant

but that's just my opinion

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
I thought it was great that N was described as a King. It further connected him to the two princes who founded Unova, and it's hinted that he descends from the ancient king that could communicate to Pokemon.

No one is really sure about how the government works in the Pokemon world, but I think that all the talk of kings and princes gives a lot of insight into how things were in the past; it wasn't always this way, things change. And N, by being a king, wanted to bring things back to how they were in the past, being ruled by a monarchy and Pokemon not being controlled by trainers.

Back