• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] ~>{*Shiny Hunters Club}<~

Runasutaru

Guardian Spectre
Years
Greetings, night owls and sparkle-chasers!

A topic on an entirely different website relating to "forums you used to visit long ago" got me into passing by and checking up on you guys. I hope everyone is doing well, and it does seem the hunting flame is still as radiant as it has always been!

I'm glad to see quite a few familiar faces still posting around here, even those who are around as occasionally as I am.

I'm currently messing about with a pretty typical Nuzlocke run on Platinum (daring and dangerous, since I've only played Pearl, in terms of Gen IV originals), but I'm certainly breaking any catch rules if I bump into a Shiny of any sort.

I feel a bit demotivated towards Shiny Hunting, these days. I feel I don't do much in the games other than that and maybe some fun runs through the Battle Frontier, and I seem to be losing interest in new installations of Pokémon games (excluding competitive battling).

How are you guys keeping up motivation and a good encounter/hatch rate, these days? Are you enjoying the hunt for sparkles similarly to past times? Less, more? Do you multitask it a lot or have you found ways to multitask in-game that make the grind more entertaining?

G-Money

Polychromatic Iridescence
Years
I'm back! I got some hunting done while away: 888 Dratini and 444 Clefairy in the LG Game Corner. Not much, since I've spent most of my time playing Black 2 (finally, "lol!"). Hunting Dratini is really fun, since you get two at a time, with a Clefairy thrown in as well! :D I might keep up this hunt for a while before continuing with my Ghost Quest.

There have been lots of posts in the past month, so I think I'm just going to give a general congrats to all the new shinies and welcome to all of the new members!

I feel a bit demotivated towards Shiny Hunting, these days. I feel I don't do much in the games other than that and maybe some fun runs through the Battle Frontier, and I seem to be losing interest in new installations of Pokémon games (excluding competitive battling).

How are you guys keeping up motivation and a good encounter/hatch rate, these days? Are you enjoying the hunt for sparkles similarly to past times? Less, more? Do you multitask it a lot or have you found ways to multitask in-game that make the grind more entertaining?

Hey, Runa! I find that it helps to take breaks from time to time and then hunt in batches - back in 2011, I took a 3 or 4 month break, and when I came back, my hunting spirit was fully refreshed and I did like 25,000+ encounters and got 3 shinies in less than a month! Then I didn't hunt seriously for about 5 months, but was able to keep hunting once I got back until I got my shiny Spiritomb! On the other hand, hunting itself sometimes is a good motivator - once you start looking for a particular shiny, you'll want to finish the hunt! :)

For me at least, shiny hunting only gets better and better! It's good to have a personal goal/Quest (like trying to get every Ghost-type shiny) so that you can see your progress over time - it makes you want to hunt more! I always want to see more of those awesome mini-icons in my sig, haha.

YukiKaru

Pika-Pika-PIKACHU! <3
Years
Hello! I'd love to join!

I've encountered (and captured) 3 shinies so far (on accident.) Larvitar, who I found in FireRed, Ponyta, who I found in Diamond, and Dusparance, who I found in Platinum.

Shinies I've successfully found through hunting:
Swablu (Emerald)
Vulpix (SoulSilver)
Pikachu (FireRed)
Eevee (SoulSilver) (over 15,000 SR's, whew!) (and female! so lucky!)

Shiny Starters! <3 (lots and lots of SR's ._.)
My Charmander (now Charizard) (FireRed)
And my Chikorita (now Meganium) (SoulSilver)

My name's YukiKaru, you may call me Yuki if you wish! :D I can't wait to hear cool shiny hunting stories! <3

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I'm starting on MM'ing for a shiny Skorupi. I've liked its shiny form for a while, but I'm too afraid to hunt in the safari zone. So far I only have like 15 eggs gathered in my PC box. Once it's full, I'll hatch them all, then do it again. It's helpful to just be able to walk around to hatch eggs, because I can multitask.

Runasutaru

Guardian Spectre
Years
Hey, hey, guys!

I'm continuing my hatching of a storm of awesome IV Nincada in my search for a non-Masuda Shiny!
I really do love my delicious IVs, even at the cost of my Shiny chance - I've got to have both, if I can do it - silly OCD!

@Yuki: Greetings! Nice bunch of Shinies, particularly that Eevee - I've bred many Eevee (without Masuda) and have yet to find a Shiny, but maybe someday.

@Slender: That's a nice idea! Are you going to do any IV manipulation of any sort or just hatching purely for the safety?

Good luck with your hunts!

Years
Sorry I've been so out of it lately guys. All personal non internet things have a huger effect than hunting I'm sure you know :3

Anyways, I myself am at 5900 something for Vulpix/Nidorans/something.
Congratulations hugely to any shinies I've missed and hopefully life will ease up so I can post a little more!

Paulthagerous

Master of the Dragonites
Years
Well I am at 4100 encounters for my next one, and my Dratini is now all grown up:

Spoiler:

Congrats to everyone on their new ones, and welcome to the new members!

YukiKaru

Pika-Pika-PIKACHU! <3
Years
Hey guys, having problems deciding what to evolve that Shiny Eevee into. Suggestions?

Oh, and decided I'm going to start SR'ing for a shiny Cyndaquil. Fingers crossed! <3

Runasutaru

Guardian Spectre
Years
What's its nature and/or IVs?
If those are bad all around/unimportant, then...

Umbreon. Always Umbreon... unless you want the striking pink Vaporeon!
None of the others need apply!

Runasutaru

Guardian Spectre
Years
Well, Shiny Glaceon's a very subtle Shiny. If you like it, go ahead, but the Adamant nature is going to be a bit annoying even while using it just for fun and giggles.

Shiny Umbreon is more noticeable. The Adamant nature fits it better than Glaceon, even though it's still not ideal. It's a Shiny, though - can't expect too much!

In the end, I guess it's up to you.

As for myself... I'm here, going back and forth, hatching many eggs! Look at the glorious IVs on this Shedinja-bound Nincada of mine!

Last edited:

Lady Demoonica Darkmoon

Shiny Hunters Club Co-Owner
Years
G-Money said:
Feel free to do whatever you feel like! As a retired co-owner, you get to do important-ish things... or if you don't want to, you get to masquerade as a regular member! It's like being a co-owner when you want to and not being a co-owner when you don't want to!

Glad to have you back!

Glad to still be back.

Runasutaru said:
Greetings, night owls and sparkle-chasers!

Runa! *glomps* I haven't seen you in forever!

Years
Blerp. 5% shinies and over-reactions galore!

Shiny Stantler video clicky clicky

Or watch here

Found after an almight 6332 REs in Route 36; I named it Donder after one of Father Christmas' reindeer. Extremely lucky to have found this beaut, I do say!

Runasutaru

Guardian Spectre
Years
@TheShinyEevee: Hey, hey, nice one with the Stantler! Quite the amusing freakout jump-scare with closing the DS, haha!

@LDD: *Is glomped* --Haaa-haaaai! How've you been? Nice seeing you, as well!

I'm still hitting the eggs and Pokécheck, just chillin' out while talking on Skype. Finally got my second Nincada with four max IVs! Not super useful, since these Nincada are meant to become Shedinja in specific, but it's bound to be useful to spread IVs to other breeding matters, later on!

----

EDIT: Hahaha, do I have a story for you guys!

Some of you may know of the time I once surfed through the GTS and found a legit Shiny Graveler. It was quite unexpected, checking the Legality Analysis and seeing it's true and, as far as I recall, I didn't have to trade an arm and a leg for it. Well...

Yesterday, I was getting sleepy and decided to browse the GTS for a bit, hunting for any scattered Shinies that aren't asking for "Lvl 9 and under Shaymin" and the like.

I hit a few guys and didn't find anything. Then, I checked the Rattata.

A Shiny Rattata asking for a Dialga... not bad, but too steep for me...

Alright, I'm thinking to myself... What about Raticate?

I check the Lvl 21 to 30 Raticates and... I find one asking for a Wartortle! The following were the events leading to acquiring the worst named Raticate in the history of Raticates! (You'll see what the name is, soon)

First, I checked the GTS for a Wartortle. There was only one trade up - it was asking for a Haunter.

Well, alright... Let's check for Haunters, then...

One of them was asking for a Lvl 100 Gengar and, hey! I did have one from crazy GTS trading of eons ago! I traded my Gengar for the Haunter and, in my nighttime silliness, just went...

Evolving? Yeah, that's fine, I don't see the problem... ...Oh, snap. After realising my mistake, I sought another Haunter out. No dice. I moved onto high-level Gastly because I was in a hurry. I found one. It was asking for a Lvl 70+ Umbreon which, surprisingly enough, I had spare, two of them even!

So I swapped the Umbreon for the Gastly, I fed it a Rare Candy because I was in a hurry, I traded the newly-evolved Haunter for the Wartortle, then went for the Raticate and...!

...He wanted a male Wartortle! The one I had was female!

I went out of the GTS, took my Nincada parents out, stuffed the Wartortle in with my Japanese Ditto and drove my character into a cycling frenzy. Not too long after, I got a few Squirtle eggs, hatched one up... male! I decide to name it QT3.14 for irony points (you'll see why, soon!)

I took Varheonas and a Fly-able Pokémon out of my box, attached an Exp.Share to my pimpin' Squirtle and did a few quick battles in Mt. Silver. Ran back to the GTS and the Raticate was still there!

This was the story of the acquisition of the worst-named (Shiny) Raticate in the history of Raticates. Its name?

Spoiler:

DundundunDUUUUUUUUUUUUUN. Here's the Pokécheck link for it.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Apologies for the bad camera quality, but my actual camera is unusable; had to use my webcam.

--alas, the story does not end here! Still on a bit of a silly drive, I decided to check the GTS for Lvl 31 to 40 Raticates!

Two very simple trades later...

...I acquired ゴールド, also known as Gōrudo when romanised! (if my makeshift Google search and machine translation efforts are to be trusted). The name makes sense, being a Shiny and having that almost golden pale green on its body. Compared to YLOSWG, I can actually feel an attachment to this one... the name YLOSWG irks me to no end!

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

There you have it, folks! An amusing story of how I seem to find legit Shinies on the GTS and actually manage to find the things they ask for.

As much work as it took to get YLOSWG (a big part of why this was all so amusing), I don't think I'll keep both him and Gold. Is anyone interested in having YLOSWG, despite or perhaps considering his absolutely silly name?

Keep the Shine blinging!

Last edited:

Spritingyoshi22

That guy over there
Years
@TheShinyEevee: Congratz on the Stantler, it's an epic shiny. Also I would be a bit more careful when shutting the DS screen, I've had some bad experiences with closing the screen too fast (Not with shinys though)

@Cheesecake(GlassTheDragon): Congratz on the Spearow and Growlithe (AKA: The gold/yellow duo) and 7 shinys in 1 month!!! My God, where do you get your luck from?

@Runasutaru: That's on hell of a story. LOL. YLOSWG. Maybe gangstas have started playing pokemon (I hope not) XD.

Again what is with Heart Gold/Soul Silver this month. Unless I miscounted so at the time of posting this month 11 of the shinys were from HG/SS compared to only 3 from other games. I believe that is 84.6% from HG/SS!!!

Runasutaru

Guardian Spectre
Years
Oh no, the night time terrors, the night time terrors!

The awkward part is I've dreamt of catching a Shiny Caterpie in the past...

Latios Master

11 Year PC Member
Years
Congrats on the shiny Spearow, Cheesecake(GlassTheDragon)! I'm sorry to hear about the Caterpie.

Welcome back, Chr. Draco! Congrats on the shinies!

Welcome back, Runasutaru! I always multitask when I hunt. I like to watch TV or listen to podcasts at the same time. That's a very interesting story.

Welcome back, G-Money!

Welcome to the club, YukiKaru! Congrats on the shinies!

Congrats on the shiny Stantler, TSE!

This week's random hunt is... Phanpy!

I hate it when spell checker changes shinies to shines.

Back