• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

✜ CHECKMATE : redux (OOC)

Geras

Roleplayer
Years
I noticed the advertisement in the discussion thread for this RP and came to ask a couple things:
-How soon is "pretty soon"? I'm sure you've heard complaints from RPers concerning finals week, so having said that I'm sure the issue with "pretty soon" (depending on how soon that is) is evident.
-Have any of the two spots already been taken up?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Hi there! Nope, they are open. And I've noticed the finals being a thing, yeah.

With "pretty soon", I probably mean before the end of next week. Because it seems like I can't make people to post before that :/ But yeah, if you don't have time to post, you should not enter a RP at all. That is common sense :) So if you feel like you wouldn't have time now, maybe wait and see if a spot is still open in the future when you do have time?

I would be happy to have you, though.

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
I'm sorry i have two exams today :'(

im a bad person and i didnt post last night when I should have:'(

and also i have to prepare for my trip to utah soon, so maybe today is not so good for me to post. itll probably be late tonight or tomorrow afternoon

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Geras, yes you may! Looking forward to seeing your SU.

Meanwhile, I'll probably start the story advancement for the rest of the RPers. You'll just jump in when you are done with the first two posts :3

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
I could post a short reaction to Liam right now, but I think I'll wait until the plot movement. Its really short, and it doesnt really end on a specific note, and its more of a transition than anything, I think. So I'll just include it in my next post

Geras

Roleplayer
Years
Name: Odetta Freeman
Color: Magenta
Class: Knight

Home: Topeka, Kansas, U.S.A. They used to live in Hagåtña, Guam, but moved out of there after Odetta was almost killed by a stonefish when she was 5. None of them even really liked it there anyway. They moved to her father's hometown of Topeka where they bought a typical two-story three bedroom two bathroom house. They fortunately could still afford it after her father left because her older sister was old enough to have job and help pay by then while her mom worked two jobs. In the house, all but one of the aforementioned rooms are on the top floor, with the bottom floor consisting of a living room, a kitchen, a dining area, garage access, and the other bathroom. There isn't really much in the backyard besides a pecan tree Odetta climbs and some shrubs. The front lawn isn't really much either, although the lawn itself is pretty nice.

Family: Odetta lives with her older sister Laila, pet rhinoceros beetle Burke (named after the Arleigh Burke class of destroyers), Mother Alula Taga'na. That list formerly included her father Oliver Freeman before her mother decided he was an idiot with antiquated views and a superiority complex and kicked him out.

Theme song: Nikopol

Good personality traits:
-Relatively unfazeable: There's not much that will scare her, make her panic or worry, and just plain move her from her usual state of general apathy. Some people have mistaken this trait for bravery or courage, but that's definitely not it.
-Hard worker: Odetta is willing to put in a lot of effort to get or accomplish things she wants. Say, for example, Odetta suddenly decides she like breaking furniture around the house and her mom gets mad at her for it. She'll go and get a job and be the best damn employee there for the sole purpose of making money to buy replacement furniture so that there's no real issue with her breaking it in the first place and can continue doing so at her leisure. Note: She doesn't really break stuff for fun. Not always at least.
-Forgiving: Odetta doesn't hold grudges because what's the point? If a person wronged her and is going to wrong her again, they'll do it regardless of whether or not she hates them for it.
-Team player: She knows that she isn't the sharpest tool in the shed so she's willing to cooperate with just about anyone to get done what she needs done. Also, she doesn't really have any issues with helping others either, and usually doesn't argue.
Bad personality traits:
-No creativity: If you were to ask her a question with an open-ended answer, Odetta would give you the most obvious one. If there isn't an obvious one, she probably wouldn't be able to figure an answer out at all. She's not inventive or clever in the slightest.
-Tends to default to violence: If Odetta is unable to figure out how to deal with something, her final and default response would be to hit it, whatever it is. This isn't really an angry "ARGH, I CAN'T FIGURE THIS OUT I AM SO ANGRY" type thing, but more like a "Nothing I try works, so maybe hitting it will change something".
-Unobservant: If a hypothetical bug lands on her head or shoulder or something, chances are she won't notice it unless it starts crawling right on her face. If a friend changes their hairstyle, gets new clothing, or starts (or stops) wearing glasses or braces, she probably won't notice it either unless that friend tells her. If the world was ending with falling meteors and explosions and all that good stuff right outside her window, she probably wouldn't notice that either. Okay, maybe not that last one.
-Apathetic: Odetta just has a hard time caring very much about things. This isn't a very good trait when it comes to making friends or allies.
-Easily bored: Outside her interests, there isn't much that can entertain her. When she's bored, she has a hard time figuring out something to do if her usual activities are unavailable.
Interests and hobbies:
-The Navy: She's held an interest in the navy thanks to her father who formerly served there.
-Outdoor activities: Things like hiking, fishing, and hunting.
-Boxing
-Insects

Appearance: Odetta has a good bit more muscle than the other girls at school (but she isn't anywhere near bodybuilder size) thanks to all the boxing, hiking, and general physical activity she does. Her skin has been tanned by all her hours under the sun, but she still isn't quite as dark as her mother, having inherited her original color more from her pale father's side. She stands at a short 5'4" and weighs around 147 lbs, the weight coming mostly from muscle mass. Odetta prefers to keep her dark brown hair short, but not too short so that she still has the ability to put it into her favored hairstyle, a ponytail (although without the ponytail, her hair looks awfully messy). Her eyes are the same dark brown color as her hair. Most people would probably guess that she is Filipina or Hispanic, and back when her skin was light they thought she was Chinese. Narrow eyes, small height, and now tanned skin, coupled with the fact that not many people even know Guam exists, of course they'd be guessing that. It's clear that nobody's going to be able to figure out where she's from just by looking.

Concerning her clothing, Odetta prefers to dress 'sporty'. She typically wears things like T-shirts or tank tops and shorts with running shoes, liking the mobility of the outfits. In colder weather she'll switch to a tracksuit. She doesn't really care what colors her clothes are, her only concern being that they fit and are easy to move around in. Her concern about her overall appearance is minimal, from her unvaried and simple wardrobe to her uncared for hair. Makeup is also a no-go for her (a time waster) as is jewelry (which gets lost or caught on things).

First post:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Sorry for thing several days to reply!

This is an amazing SU, Geras. I'm happy to welcome you into Checkmate! You may paste your "first post" into the IC thread and then whenever you feel like it, you may make the second post (the one with all the black boxes where they basically start up the game and place things out on the screen).

After you have made your second post, you can make your house appear next to the other houses in the Land of Grass and Growth and join whatever they are doing at the moment. Your sprite will, at that point, merge with the others. Read the IC posts so far and I hope things will become clearer :] and remember to ask me if there is anything you're wondering!

EDIT: hm, I have realized that with the way I have decided that the sprites work, we need you to enter the medium before we can continue with the story properly. So, Geras, post as soon as you can to get to where the others are (2 posts away!) and for the rest of you - interact for crying out loud!

EDIT2: I posted! Get fighting, ye guys!

EDIT3: Geras, that was an amazing post. I really enjoyed reading it.

If you want, you can edit your last post with part 3 (appearing with your house next to the others in LOGAG and your sprite merging with the existing sprite) whenever you feel like you want to write that, but I of course hope that someone will take on an IMP first ;) It will perhaps be a bit shocking for Odetta to jump into a world where people are fighting monsters immediately, but also interesting!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Yes, she can still hit stuff like anyone can. Slap, tickle, anything. But she won't really be able to hurt her enemies to a point that matters with other kinds of weapon than the one she has chosen. You get loads of bonus strength when you use your special kind of weapon, and loads of minus if you try to fight with something else. Fists, for example.

Plus... you'll very soon be able to put two things at once into the PROTOTRUDER, generating totematerials that will make a new thing appear when used on the ALCHEMITER. And this new thing will be a mix of the two things you put into the PROTOTRUDER.

So if you have fishingpolekind, you can use a fishing rod and for example some barbed wire on the prototruder. That will likely yield a totematerial that produces a fishing pole with barbed wire instead of fishing line when used on the alchemiter. Deadly whip, if you ask me! Or maybe a TV-controller? Might yield a fishing pole with lots of buttons that can steer the line (and hook!) more precisely in the air or something. Or maybe a knife, turning the fishing pole into a lance of sorts, or long polearm... Creativity is the limit.

But that'll be explained soon IC by a certain NPC that has yet to fully show himself...

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
If Odetta's weapon is a FISHINGRODKIND, why did she use a hunting rifle? Going through five magazines as well. I thought we were only allowed to use our actual weapon and nothing else...

I get that in the end she did utilized her appropriate weapon, but y'know.

Geras

Roleplayer
Years
Yes, she can still hit stuff like anyone can. Slap, tickle, anything. But she won't really be able to hurt her enemies to a point that matters with other kinds of weapon than the one she has chosen. You get loads of bonus strength when you use your special kind of weapon, and loads of minus if you try to fight with something else. Fists, for example.

This is mostly what I was working off of. I saw it as saying that they could hit stuff with other stuff but can't actually hurt anything without their strife weapon. Odetta didn't know this at the time. Also it was 5 bullets, not magazines. Sorry if I said she spent 5 magazines in the post.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
This is mostly what I was working off of. I saw it as saying that they could hit stuff with other stuff but can't actually hurt anything without their strife weapon. Odetta didn't know this at the time. Also it was 5 bullets, not magazines. Sorry if I said she spent 5 magazines in the post.
Yeah, like this. Not while they are this low leveled at least. Later on, you might acquire an additional strifekind.

In Homestuck, the characters never even try to use other weapons (except for fists and kicks once in a while) but I figured we can't have it be impossible for us to hold other weapons or items in this RP, so this will probably work well.

I like how ballkind was used! Hah. Maybe Penelope should train on angling the ball so that it bounces back to her ;D ohwait, or alchemizing it together with a boomerang!

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
deahkjfsakndsakjevroureavjbkb

sorry im so late guys ive been at work/camping/bluh migranes

and i wrote a post but now i have to rewrite it because of other things that happened IC while i was gone

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I'm in a state of confusion as of now :D I mostly waited for people to post but I had a post planned if no one eventually did. Like now :p But I'll at least wait for Evan, then.

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
Maybe I've developed Alzheimer's....but I could have sworn that LOGAG stood for Land of Gleam and Growth, not grass and growth?

EDIT: tooootally alchemizing a chakram with a yu gi oh card shooter. And also I should make some form of thick gloves to wear so Vinnie doesnt cut himself on the chakram's edges.

Last edited:
Back