• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sword Art Online

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I really don't see an active thread to post this in, so might as well create one. xD

Sword Art Online. Just found out that the anime is being dubbed in English. As someone who has seen the anime in Japanese, I really want to see how this unfolds in the English language, though I won't be going through the same glory as last time. Here's the trailer for those of you interested in seeing it. I also heard that it's going to aired on Adult Swim but I have yet to see a confirmation on that.

I like how the voice actors are close to matching, but I think it's worth it. xD

For those of you who haven't seen the anime, this is probably your chance to give it a shot in English. Details about the plot are below~

In the year 2022, the Virtual Reality Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (VRMMORPG), Sword Art Online (SAO), is released. With the Nerve Gear, a virtual reality helmet that stimulates the user's five senses via their brain, players can experience and control their in-game characters with their minds.
On November 6, 2022, all the players log in for the first time, and subsequently discover that they are unable to log out. They are then informed by Kayaba Akihiko, the creator of SAO, that if they wish to be free, they must reach the 100th floor of the game's tower and defeat the final boss. However, if their avatars die in-game, their bodies will also die in the real world. The story follows Kirito, a skilled player who is determined to beat the game. As the game progresses for two years, Kirito eventually befriends a female player named Asuna with whom he ultimately falls in love. After the duo discover the identity of Kayaba's avatar in SAO, they confront and defeat him, freeing themselves and the other players from the game.

discuss~

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
Saw this, thought "meh, got time to kill, let's watch this then" and wow, I love it in episode one! I like the concept and everything about it really. Being into games helps I guess.

Can't wait to watch more.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 12, 2014
I watched the first episode in between Mayo Chiki and... man, it was really boring.

I do like the concept though... maybe I'll give it a go.

Last edited:

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Unfh this show.

It's kinda weird how it has the 2 completely different arcs considering how short it is. I preferred Sword Art Online much more than Alfheim because I hated Sugu and I adored Asuna, but I liked the whole fairy thing.

Plus the second arc got much much much more fan service-y instead of 'fight for the death' and that killed the show a little for me so... yeah that's just what I think.

FayAurora

Dark-Type Trainer/Breeder
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2013
Just seeing the name of this post makes me want to cry! T-T SAO is a great anime, in my opinion, and I totally cried at the end, then wouldn't talk to one of my friends for awhile, until I gained my composure, since he was the one who suggested watching it XD
I can't wait to watch the second season!

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
Just watched till episode 11. I... did not expect this much romance. I mean, I knew Asuna was damn important but man, I did not expect this much. Then again, I don't know what I was expecting when I first started watching aha.

It seems like every girl Kirito helps falls for him, it's getting a little too cheesy for me... but ah well, when I start watching I got to get to the end as quick as possible. And on that note, back to watching yaay

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Just watched till episode 11. I... did not expect this much romance. I mean, I knew Asuna was damn important but man, I did not expect this much. Then again, I don't know what I was expecting when I first started watching aha.

It seems like every girl Kirito helps falls for him, it's getting a little too cheesy for me... but ah well, when I start watching I got to get to the end as quick as possible. And on that note, back to watching yaay
Kirito's player... in every meaning :D

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
tthe female ahcaracters and romance arcs feel really immature, you frequently have girls needing kirito to save them liek damsels in distress i mean what is this the middle ages ?

the first few episodes showed so much promise. there was so many fun things that anyone whos ever played an mmorpg could appreciate. how everyone dealt with their situation and social structures began to develop were my favorite parts... but after about episode 6 or 7 it turned into a completely different anime.

also ,i was kinda disappointed when i found out that the protagonist was only 16. i thought he was 22ish at the start , living at home , his life sort of going nowhere... but satisfied with himself, comfortable in his own skin. he knows what he likes (computer games) and he's alright with having lower social status because of it

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
also ,i was kinda disappointed when i found out that the protagonist was only 16. i thought he was 22ish at the start , living at home , his life sort of going nowhere... but satisfied with himself, comfortable in his own skin. he knows what he likes (computer games) and he's alright with having lower social status because of it
That's exactly BTOOOM! protagonist, though =D

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years
Meh... this anime is just meh to me xD THEY FREAKING RUINED ASUNA!!!! T.T

She had such good potential to become a badass character but they just made her a generic tsundere... so sad T.T I love me some character development and there was none in this anime so yeah... but it looked really pretty! and the character designs looked good

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I loved SAO, it's one of my favorite animes. I prefer Sugu to Asuna :p And I definitely liked the Aincrad arc much better than the Alfheim arc, even though it was interesting to have events both in the real world and the digital world.

This dub seems pretty well made, so I might watch the English version whenever I decide to rewatch SAO in the future.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I loved the first half of the series, but I wasn't quite enchanted by the second half. I didn't like Asuna being locked up. I didn't like Sugu much. :( If I watch this again in English, I would only watch the first half. Since SAO was quite popular, I'm sure they would use some really awesome voice actors. Cherami Leigh voicing Asuna! She voices Gaige in Borderlands 2. 8D

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I really, really, really, really, really don't like Kirito's voice. Really.
Asuna's is lovely.

That's all I have to say. I'll probably be watching this just to refresh myself on the series as it goes on. I really liked the sub and it's one of my all time favorite anime.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Okay I agree there. I was a bit disappointed in Kirito's English voice. It should be more boyish imo.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I'll definitely be watching the first half of the series again (Gaiiiigggggeeeee <3), but the second half just wasn't my thing haha. I felt like they were going on a great track with the first half and it was definitely my favourite series of the time, but then it as cut short and it just became... disappointing, haha. It killed all drive I had in watching the rest which was a huge shame, it had a lot of potential.

Years
A lot of people were pushing me to try this so I caved in and did, and loved it a lot at first. But the more episodes I watched the tougher it got to love it as much since it became too focused on romance. I didn't understand the second half of the show (will abstain from saying what it was because spoilers) because the show was named Sword Art Online for a reason. ;_; Did love the characters, though!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
A friend of mine told me that this anime isn't as good as everyone is clamouring out to be, because the protagonists are total mary sues from beginning to end, despite the consequences of the game, and won battles without breaking a sweat. I am planning to watch it on Toonami though.

Back