• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My mind to your mind

Years
Imagine the technology exists that would let you "share" your mind with someone where your two minds become one mind, benefiting from each other's knowledge, experience, and perception. A person who doesn't know how to play the piano could know how if the other person does, and so on. (Science is getting closer to this than you may think.) You'd instantly know how to do things without having to learn them if someone else learned them first.

Would you do it if it were only temporary? Would you do it if it were permanent? What circumstances would you do it under? Do you think you'd have more empathy for the other person, or would you worry about losing your individuality?

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I wouldn't do it solely because then they would (I assume) have access to my memories, and know everything about me.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Nah, I don't think I'd do this. I like to be able to have my own thoughts.

I think the only time it'd be convenient and would consider doing it, is like in that particular scene in the movie What Women Want.. if you know what I mean.

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
I would do it. Sounds so interesting that Id definetly try it. But I doupt the other mind would survive the connection... So yeah. I might be more emphatic towards the person of course.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Naw, I wanna keep my own mind. I think it would be too weird to share a mind with someone, though I admit the idea is interesting.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I'd do it if it were temporary, but not permanent. I'd need to try it out - finding the ability to do things I've never been able to do before, having knowledge and understanding on more of the universe than my mind can personally grasp. That seems fantastic to me. But again, only temporary. I wouldn't want to fuse with another person for good, it might be a bit intrusive.

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
Years
umm,i don't think i would do it..i never choose the easy way when it comes to things cuz i like challenges however i'm lazy sometimes i like to keep myself the way i am and take the old fashioned way of learning things! ;)

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I'd do it in a heartbeat because there's nothing in my mind that's TOO weird. If I could learn to repair a washing machine in exchange for someone learning how to sew and at the cost of them knowing that I don't know what a thigh gap is, then so be it.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Nooo way. I wouldn't want them to dig up any subconscious thoughts that were either inappropriate to them or just embarrassing/private in general. Even if I could stand to benefit immensely from it, I don't think I could go through with it unless it were possible to gate off certain memories/ideas/sections of my mind from their access. Your brain is the final frontier of your identity and as such I don't think I'd want to share anything so personal with anyone else.

It's more about privacy than anything, for me. I can only consider this temporarily because I can't imagine it any other way and even then, I wouldn't worry about losing my individuality or anything, my focus is entirely on what the person I'm sharing with would have access to and what they might do with that access and information. :[

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
This is a really interesting topic. I would only use it if it were a temporary state, like I'd "copy" someone else's talent or basic understanding of something, and then the connection would be over. If this were a permament state, i wouldn't want to share my thoughts with anyone for the rest of my life, so i wouldn't even consider it.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I would do it, as long as I'm still able to become myself even though sharing minds and abilities, and I would care more to the other person if I know that other person's minds. Because I'm unsure of this, I want to try it temporarily.

Melody

Banned
Years
If I were to do this, It would have to be with someone I trust very immensely and love deeply. I don't think I could bear it to be with anyone else. I doubt leaving it as a permanent melding would be quite wise either...but if there was simply a link that allowed us to choose what we shared with one another, then that would be fine. Just so long as we would only be sharing what we wanted to share.

I don't think such a technology would ever be useful without such a feature anyway.

Back