• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do do when continuing?

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2014
So, i'm going through Kanto in my first story. I'm about half way through, with Charmander (Now Charmeleon) and Growlithe as my main two Pokemon.

I was wondering, because I'm really set on continuing these characters through to Hoenn, HOW exactly do I do this?! Obviously my Pokemon are going to be too strong for the starters in the next story, so how would you guys recommend doing this? Starting again? Using a 'machine' to refer them back to their original forms before I start my journey? Making everyone in Hoenn stronger?

I really need some help :(

Years
The easiest way to do it would be to start again with entirely new Pokémon, but realistically if you were a Pokémon trainer would you leave all your Pokémon behind when you went to a new region? The answer's most likely no - so why would your character? You could always have your character continue with his Kanto Pokémon in Hoenn and catch new Pokémon along the way. Just because the trainers are weak in the games doesn't mean they have to be weak in your story.

That's just an idea though, if you like the whole starting over thing, then beginning again with entirely new Pokémon is probably the best option.

Dagzar

The Dreamer
Years
Well, if you really want to bring the original Pokemon along, you could always just have them along as companions and capture newer, weaker Pokemon to go against the trainers over in Hoenn (and have your old Pokemon as backups in case something happens). As Eliminator Jr. said, it doesn't sound realistic that you'd just leave your old Pokemon behind. Especially since you're going to an entirely different region and it can be pretty scary to be in an unfamiliar land all alone.

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2016
Personally, I would suggest not continuing with the same character. As you said, he's too strong by now to start a whole new journey, and having him revert to some other thing is a little too unrealistic.

Maybe have him as a support character for somebody else going on their journey, which is what I'm going to do.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I actually ran into this problem because I do continue with the same character. (Sometimes, the story idea you have needs a particular character, and if you can use one you've used before, why not?) She has two Pokemon with her through all three of her adventures. As the story progresses, though, she uses the first two less because she catches newer Pokemon.

So your character can keep his Charmeleon (maybe Charizard?) and Growlithe with him on all his journeys because those two Pokemon mean a lot to him. But he doesn't use them all the time in battle because they're too strong, so he keeps them in reserve for when he really needs them.

That's my preference for the situation, and what I did.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
Years
Personally, I always thought since Pokemon Silver/Gold that gym leaders had a slew of pokemon. Think about it. After you defeated the Elite Four in Johto and progressed to Kanto afterwards, you go against the gym leaders there. Brock had level 55s and he is the first gym leader in that area normally. So what I'm saying is that they probably have different sets for different trainers.

I always found it to be illogical for the gym leaders to use the same pokemon for different people. They will want to make it a challenge for each person. If they know you are from a different region (which I would suggest that you make some kind of emblem stating that you are), they would know that they would have to go all out. That's what I would do.

Of course, you could start over with new pokemon. Though that could be messy since your character probably have an emotional attachment to your main. This is just a suggestion.

Back