• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

FireRed hack: Pokemon: Crimson Version

How long should the first beta be?

• 1 Gym

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • 2 Gym

Votes: 26 89.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years

zO1QoF.png

A hack of: FireRed Version

INTRODUCTION

I assume most of you are familiar with me. My name is Teejermiester, I lurk around the progressing hacks a lot and this is my hack, Pokemon Crimson. The hack is in a relatively early stage, and therefore the thread is in an early stage. I will update this thread continually, so you'll have a good idea of what is going on in the hack. While that is happening, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

I have uploaded a couple of hacks in the past, but none got anywhere due to my mediocre hacking skills. However, as you can see, I have improved by a very large margin and this hack will be of the highest quality I can put out. I have tried to create a unique, almost cartoony graphical style.

UPDATE: I finally got around to writing some CSS. Leave your thoughts, I know its a bit... er, colorful, but I like it.

STORY

Thousands of years ago, a young boy named Brendan went up against Team Magma and Team Aqua in the Hoenn region... and lost. Groudon and Kyogre were awakened, and they went rampant, unable to be controlled by their intended masters. For a hundred years Kyogre would wash away the continents with the sea, and Groudon would rise mountains out of the ocean. Eventually, the fighting between Groudon and Kyogre ended, leaving the world terraformed and humanity desolated while the Guardians slept.

Three beasts took pity on humanity, however, and led them back to the old ways of civilization. They made sure they remembered their past and retained the knowledge of their ancestors.

These beasts were Moltres, Zapdos, and Articuno.

Now, decades later, these legends have faded away into stories and lore. Humanity has regained its foothold on Earth, but Earth has millenia before it recovers. The endless sea is prominent on the new world, with people living on small islands that stick out of the land haphazardly. Pokemon and people live in peace here, with the flora and fauna of the islands becoming constantly more unique and differing from other islands and areas.

Now, your adventure starts. Following in the footsteps of the ancestors, you will have many challenges and adventures.

Not far into your adventure, you find some mysterious people who call themselves The Lyst. Their purpose is to restore the legendary beasts to the Xephos Islands in order to bring humanity back to its original state of innocence and honor. No one knows who is controlling them, or how they plan to achieve this goal.

You must use the many people around you, the remains of the ancestors, and your own wits to unravel the twisted story of Crimson. Good luck on your adventure.

FEATURES

- A pokedex consisting of ~200 Pokemon, consisting of gen I - V Pokemon
- An all new adventure in a new region (see below)
- New, unique and in-depth characters
- Tie-ins to online resources, such as journals and information on a separate website
- Mild to Difficult puzzles involving an ancient language that you decipher (the difficult ones aren't required for the story in any way)
- A unique, fun, interesting story with its own style that has many possibilities to change and many different outcomes

POKEDEX

Spoiler:

SCREENSHOTS

8AdhvJ.png

BMN52d.png

cgeA8S.png

0Tpyc4.png

j3PKqy.png

FP8mML.png

VpQ2yH.png

7rI6ST.png

OX2wLw.png

lo52we.png

ygC11b.png

bA9UvL.png

qGo7lp.png

n3INil.png

REGION

FRsrg8.png

Xephos: The Ancient Archipelago

(Isun Town is located in the Southwest corner of the island chain.)

FAQS

Spoiler:

BUGS

None at the moment.

RELEASES/PROGRESS

Beta 1: (Two Gym)

Mapping: ||||||||||
Scripting: ||||||||||
Tiles: ||||||||||
Storywriting: ||||||||||
Sprites: ||||||||||
Music: ||||||||||
(There actually aren't any musical changes in Beta 1... but there will be later.)

Total: ||||||||||

Beta Testers:
Beet Tester
----------
----------
----------
----------

BANNER

Spoiler:

CREDITS

Zunex/Cope/Zelix/Tarev/Patrick and all the other wonderful spriters at Whack a Hack: Tiles
Chaosrush: Pokemon Sprites
Oshawott: Sprite Inserting + PokeDex in this thread.
mavy42: banner

Last edited:

DaEpicTrainer

One Pokemon to Rule Them All
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
Since the region is only islands, will the trainers be on land or afloat?It will be annoying if there is alot of trainers afloat ; you will need alot of repel to not be annoyed.

Last edited:

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
Sınce the region is only islands, will the trainers be on land or afloat?It will be annoying if there is alot of trainers afloat ; you will need alot of repel to not be annoyed.

The water's encounter rate will be turned down so no one gets too annoyed, but yes, there will be a decent amount of trainers afloat as well as on land and in cities. There are also land routes, so the game won't become super monotonous.

Plus, Tentacool won't be popping up in EVERY SINGLE route like in real Pokemon :P

EDIT: I would say only 30-40% of the region maps are actually water routes, so...

how early will surf be introduced as most of the region is water?

Surf will be available after the first gym, but its base power is reduced to balance it out early in the game.

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
Small Update:

Route 1 is now mapped. Here's some screenshots:
picture.php
picture.php

The ledges are too bright... I'll redo their tiles soon.
picture.php
picture.php

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
Another Small Update:

I've mapped most of Mynel Town:
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Yes, I see the tile errors in the mountain. I have to edit the tileset for those, so I haven't done it yet. There's a beach to the north and two more houses, but I didn't feel like showing you those since there are tons of tile errors in the beach...​

DaEpicTrainer

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
Ooh, mapping really looks good so far, but isn't the pokemon center really big?Or is it normal and the house is small? :P

DaEpicTrainer

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
Will the spriters make new trainers/gym leaders/elite four or will they be like in fire red?For example i like these trainers in ; Pokemon Brass/Bronze/Copper
Spoiler:
and also in ; Pokemon Light Platinum
Spoiler:

They're really original & good.If possible make something with hat like Red/Ethan(Jimmy in Anime)/Ash

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
Will the spriters make new trainers/gym leaders/elite four or will they be like in fire red?
They're really original & good.If possible make something with hat like Red/Ethan(Jimmy in Anime)/Ash

I'm doing everything at the moment, I am said "spriters", haha. But yeah, there will be a completely new tier of Gym Leaders, Elite Four, regular characters, etc. Here, check out this concept sprite for DimitriDemitri:
picture.php

I'm not much of a spriter, but I do my own work when I can. The Ow's, on the other hand are one of my specialties. Those will be pretty good quality, and completely unique. (But I do like the hat too ;))

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
Years
You should add Gen 4 and 5 Pokemon, since they are some of my favorites, and remove some of the Pokemon that not many people like.
I have suggestions, like Lucario, Meinshao, Darmanitan, Haxorus, Hydreigon, Volcarona, Lilligant, Stoutland, Garchomp, Floatzel, and possibly the evolutions of the Old Pokemon, like Electivire, Rhypherior and Roserade, etc.

Also, really looking forward to this hack, it looks interesting, yet fun at the same time!
I also hope the Gym Leaders and other bosses are challenging ;]

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
Route 2 has been mapped, on to Laikos City. This one will be one of my favorites. No screenies though, I'm all done until I get scripts inserted, or at least for a while.

You should add Gen 4 and 5 Pokemon, since they are some of my favorites, and remove some of the Pokemon that not many people like.
I have suggestions, like Lucario, Meinshao, Darmanitan, Haxorus, Hydreigon, Volcarona, Lilligant, Stoutland, Garchomp, Floatzel, and possibly the evolutions of the Old Pokemon, like Electivire, Rhypherior and Roserade, etc.

Also, really looking forward to this hack, it looks interesting, yet fun at the same time!
I also hope the Gym Leaders and other bosses are challenging ;]

I've made the decision to insert some gen IV and V Pokemon, but not the "favorites", if you might say. Just the ones that a) I like and want, b) ones that fit in the region and areas c) ones that Gym Leaders/E4 should definitely have.

The Gym Leader's levels will be based off of where my Pokemon's levels are at that point, as well as the E4, bosses, etc. and wild Pokemon. And I'll warn you, I play a mean game of Pokemon.

DaleH771

Pokémon: Giovanni Origins developer
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
The graphics look amazing and the mapping looks very, very well done, I cannot wait for a Beta :)

Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2012
Love the idea of the story. It's unique without straying too far away from the norm.
I wish I could comment on mapping and tiles, But for some reason I don;t seem to be loading any pictures that you're posting.

I wish you luck.

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
Make sure to add Stunfisk & Dunsparce! lol you have too because of your signature.

Well, duh. Plus, Dunsparce actually aren't that bad of pokemon if they learn the right moves. Stunfisk, on the other hand...

Love the idea of the story. It's unique without straying too far away from the norm.
I wish I could comment on mapping and tiles, But for some reason I don;t seem to be loading any pictures that you're posting.

I wish you luck.

Yeah, I needed to do something original, but I hate it when hacks go all unique and do something weird and crazy that makes it seem like it isn't even a Pokemon game. I love the concept of Pokemon, I just wanted to make a game that challenges your sense of right/wrong and makes you think a little bit as well as mindless battling.

The graphics look amazing and the mapping looks very, very well done, I cannot wait for a Beta :)

Thanks, although none of the tiles are really mine, as I can't sprite from scratch worth crap. I edit them, change them a little, fix them up, but the bases really don't belong to me. I mixed and matched to create a unique style.

The mapping is something I take pride in, so thanks. that actually means a lot.

EDIT: I mean, not to sound conceited in any of this...

Last edited:

kebbles

Rom Hacker.
Years
Ive always been a fan of those trees, and i like how you edited the grass to match.
The mapping is nice i cant see any errors.
Good luck man, keep up the good work :)

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
Just commenting to say I am still working on this, Laikos City is ALMOST mapped. There's some really funky tile errors in there that I can't seem to get rid of, but when I do I'll post some screenies. The beta is progressing nicely.

Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2012
Just commenting to say I am still working on this, Laikos City is ALMOST mapped. There's some really funky tile errors in there that I can't seem to get rid of, but when I do I'll post some screenies. The beta is progressing nicely.

If you need any help fixing those errors, feel free to throw me a message, also I can see the pictures now, hack looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back