• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: [Hack of the Year 2012] POKéMON LIGHT PLATINUM

Snakebyte

About time, I'd say...
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Someone gave me a heads up. ^_^

I don't think I have your MSN anymore. PM/VM me if you want me to add you again.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Evidence that I DO have the necessary permission and rights to edit what I've said:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=6687124#post6687124

Written in: June 10th, 2011, 03:15 PM, post #3965

Wesley has clearly stated that I can edit anything I can (Which is even more than I'm planning to do) just as long as I do not modify the graphics and story.
You have bad reading skills.

And actually I gave freedom to the translators SARCASTIC PRINCE and ASH493 [to] alter (change) the names of coaches and coordinating the bugs for the version in ENGLISH.
He gives you no permission to mess with anything in the hack other than putting in a name somewhere or to help with managing bugs. Modifications to the Pokédex and changing scripts or held Pokémon are not - let me repeat, NOT - what we call "bugs".

YOU DO NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO EDIT MY TRANSLATION.
Thank GOD. Let's end this whole unwanted disturbance, then.

Cyclone

ramibas299

GOTTA CATCH EM' ALL!!
Years
Soooo... what do you do after the Lauren league? I battled Cynthia randomly (was just flying around the region and she was sitting on a bench in that air-balloon city :P).

TCB

Tranquilo.
Years
I should play this again. I didn't realize this received new translation. I really have been away from this section of the site for a while. XD

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
And here we go again...
Why do we care about translating ROM when it's already translated...
Just because SP is perfectionist doesn't mean we need to spam this thread with useless posts...
Who in the world cares about decap of names, who in the world cares about pokedex entries, who in the world cares about grammar mistakes when they don't block you from continuing...?
Hacks aren't supposed to be Game Freak games, they are supposed to be games we present to players to play.
And no grammar mistakes does not make a great story.

Snakebyte

About time, I'd say...
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
I find it unlikely that I made grammar mistakes. I have a rather firm judo grasp on the English language. If you have specific instances to back that up and aren't just claiming things without any proof to impugn me and my translation, go ahead and list them. It might even motivate me to update a few things, as I remember there being reports of a ton of glitches in Lauren that I didn't personally run into.

EDIT: I saw you comment elsewhere about the nephew/assistant thing for Kenta. You're probably right there, I honestly don't know. I know I was inconsistent and possibly wrong in how Solana and Lunick were related to eachother as well. That was one of the first things to come up, and I got more comfortable with the language as I progressed. I would consider changing Kenta's name to Gold, but not to Ethan, just because Diamond and Pearl are Diamond and Pearl and not Lucas and whateverhernameis (Dawn?). I'm pretty sure Wesley said somewhere that he just forgot the proper name for him and made one up.

I don't want to work with you, but if you are going to call me out repeatedly in public, I would rather something constructive come out of it rather than more pointless forum drama.

Last edited:

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
Soooo... what do you do after the Lauren league? I battled Cynthia randomly (was just flying around the region and she was sitting on a bench in that air-balloon city :P).

go to yellow town and speak to ash in profs lab.he should give you a world pass ( or somekind of a ticket) then go to central city and board the train to the world championship

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Okay everybody, giradialkia and I think its great how so many of you are passionate about Light Platinum and have a multitude of thoughts about what constitutes a translation, but we're going to have to stop this discussion. The last time the issue of translating was raised in this thread it was extremely disruptive and didn't end well. Things have not gotten off to a good start this time around and it could very easily spiral into something just as vicious. Regardless of how you feel about what happened in the past/ how things are playing out right now we're going to have to ask you to refrain from posting about it here.

Let's get this thread back to normal :D

Last edited:

Snakebyte

About time, I'd say...
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
No worries, mate, I'm not sticking around long enough to cause any issues.

I won't post further here unless I do decide to make an update, in which case it'd be more on-topic than anything short of Wesley coming back. :P

If anyone has any errors in the game that they would like to see corrected--REAL errors, not wanting it decapitalized, wanting cries added in, wanting different names, anything like that--PM/VM/IM me about it. Gameplay issues (short of the contest thing, I've no clue how to fix the hungriest Scraggy ever) and any actual translation/grammatical/whatever errors I've made in the text are both welcome. If I get enough to justify releasing an update, I'll do just that. :)

EDIT: Thanks to Banjora, I've worked out how to fix the XP issue. Keep it coming, guys!

Last edited:

ramibas299

GOTTA CATCH EM' ALL!!
Years
go to yellow town and speak to ash in profs lab.he should give you a world pass ( or somekind of a ticket) then go to central city and board the train to the world championship

Cool, thanks ^^
WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, HERE I COME!

Snakebyte

About time, I'd say...
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
An update is coming.

Thanks to Banjora Marxvile, I have fixed the thing where many Pokemon give far too little or far too much experience. It was a much, much easier solution than I originally thought, back when I was translating this--someone told me what was wrong and either got it slightly wrong or I misunderstood it, so my apologies, I should have done this ages ago.

I also may have fixed the wilds not appearing in Mt. Draken. We'll see.

The update will also contain a couple of script tweaks I made that I noticed right after release. The problem with the Serenity gym guy showing up was a real problem, and it's fixed. Maybe one or two other small things, I honestly don't remember anything else other than that Growlithe is now able to learn Lava Surf. I haven't gone through the move lists, but some of them are the way they are because Wesley ran out of room to make move tables, so made some evolutions go off the same table. If there are any other move list issues, let me know, but I might say it can't be fixed because of that.

I believe I'll be leaving Lauren's scripts/events alone. I just honestly don't remember this stuff well enough to be confident that I can fix things without breaking other things in the process. Sorry about that, I never claimed to be a hacker. :P

All of what I said is done is done. Pokedex entries... I'll think about it. Cries will not be changed, decapitalization will not occur, names will not be changed unless I get really, really bored and find every instance of 'Kenta' in the game. I may change the 'nephew'/'neighbour' thing, too--It'd help if someone pointed out every instance that it occurred. I don't care enough to go looking, and it'd bug me if I only fixed some of them.

I do not know how to add a healing script to Yellow Town. If anyone wants to volunteer to do that, and can do so without breaking anything else, it will be added in the update. I'll accept adding a bunch of potions to the PC (Is there even a PC?) as a cheap workaround, but I don't know how to do that either. :P

It's been a year since I've looked at this, and aside from what I've mentioned, I don't know what errors exist. Maybe you guys have found things I didn't catch, maybe I just forgot things I intended to fix... What I'm going to do is hold off on posting the update for at least a week, to give you guys time to let me know what else needs to go in it. I'll be away for a bit, but PM/VM me any real errors, or anything I didn't address here or in the above post, and I'll get back to you. It just might take me a couple of days.

You can thank Banjora (and, indirectly, Sarcastic Prince) for this, since I had pretty much forgotten this place existed.

EDIT: Kenta is now Gold!

EDIT: Added a 10% chance of finding Gible in Mt. Winter if the fix for Mt. Draken didn't work! If Mt. Winter's encounters were broken too... well... someone let me know if they were! They were. Bah!

EDIT: I genuinely have no idea why the wilds in Mt. Winter and Mt. Draken don't work, but for a consolation prize I've placed wild Gible in the first area where you have to use Lava Surf, and Bagon in the last part of that same cave. Dratini and Larvitar are available as gifts, and Trapinch is wild elsewhere, I believe that covers everything in there.

Last edited:
Years
For the X version I might put the Mt. Draken Pokemon in Mt. Shuem, but I'm not sure as of now. Wild Pokemon will be higher leveled and some will be harder to find since this game is supposed to be harder. I've only worked up to Inhore Gym though. I decided to take a break until August, I'll do it badge by badge until Lauren which will take two days. I'll give an update on what gym I'm at. By the way Jessica has a level 23 Vespiquen now and has x4 Super Potions for items. Oh and the Bug Catcher in Route 401 now has a Level 5 Caterpie and no Venipede so you don't have to worry about being Poisoned. Route 401 will be the only easy part ingame since it's the first route. Oh and when the X version is done I'll beta test it to see how hard it is.

ramibas299

GOTTA CATCH EM' ALL!!
Years
Heh....don't think its that easy ! (honestly)=P.....Good luck on it ;) but if you don't bother do some legendary hunting first...

I just beat it xD Is there anything else left?
By the way, my highest level is 68 (Charizard) :D
I just kept using revives and full restores.

Snakebyte

About time, I'd say...
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Screw it, I'm bored. Here's an update to my English translation of Light Platinum!

This will only work if patched to a Ruby 1.0 ROM.

The patch is too large to upload as an attachment, so I've Sendspaced it again.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5j2elc

If you get a white screen, you are using the wrong rom, or your emulator is not correctly set. Turn VBA off, delete the Light Platinum.sa1 or .sav file, turn VBA back on, go to Options -> Emulator -> Save Type -> Flash 128k, turn VBA off again, then turn it back on and load the rom once more. If that doesn't work, you are not using a Ruby 1.0 Rom. When looking for it, googling '0907 Ruby 1.0 (U)' might help. I found one on 4shared.

I will not answer any questions about how to make this work on a phone, PSP, or anything that isn't Visual Boy Advance!

Updates:
- All Pokemon except Venipede's line now have the correct base experience and catch rates. Venipede giving tons of experience was something fun and memorable to me, so though it's not as much as before, they still give way more experience than they should.
- Kenta has been renamed to Gold, and is correctly referred to as Oak's assistant, not his nephew.
- Pokemon that were unavailable in Mt. Draken due to the wild encounters not working there will now show up in Mt. Shuem (the first area where you use Lava Surf), with Gible in the first area, and Bagon in the final one.
- Rayner (I think that's the correct name? The Serenity gym leader) will now always show up in the Power Plant. One or two text errors were fixed as well, and Growlithe can now learn HM05 Lava Surf. I did this for Tyranee's Let's Play months ago and never posted it.

Bugs:
- Don't enter the Normal Rank Contest. --Will not be fixed.
- You may need to enter and exit the Pokémon Center after Red's Gyarados uses Rain Dance in Esmerald City. --Will not be fixed.
- Some items may respawn. --Will not be fixed.
- Pokedex entries and cries have not been changed. --Pokedex may be fixed if I figure out how, cries will not.
- Yellow Town needs a healing script. --Will be fixed if I figure out how.
- Wild Pokemon do not appear in Mt. Winter or Mt. Draken --Workaround added, probably will not be fixed as I don't know what's wrong.
- Buggy events in Lauren. --Probably will not be fixed, as I'd have to tweak the scripts on just about every event in the region.

Thanks to (in no particular order)...
- Wesley FG, who made this hack and deserves far, far more credit than I do.
- Banjora Marxvile, for poking me and for making me take a look at the XP issue.
- giradialkia, for making awesome music.
- Sarcastic Prince, for the Kenta thing.
- Darthatron, HackMew, Lu-Ho, and anyone else who made tools I used.
- Me!

This does not mean I am not still open to suggestions. I got impatient and didn't leave time for feedback, I just have other things to do for the next little while and don't want to be thinking about this. Please, if there are any errors that I haven't listed, or if you know how to fix the errors that I have listed, let me know! I'll get back to you guys in a week or two, and if there's enough, I'll just update again!

Come to think of it, I could probably just do the pokedex entries with A-Text... Hmmm...

*writes down notes for 1.2* :P

Oh, and by the way, I haven't tested this at all. I don't think anything I did would break anything else, and I definitely don't care enough to play through the game again to see. Let me know if it did, though!

EDIT: If anyone grabbed this in the first five minutes it was up, please redownload, the link was wrong. Thanks!

Last edited:

Snakebyte

About time, I'd say...
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
I genuinely have no idea how to do that, I've never looked into it. Could you VM/PM me an explanation? Just the scripting part... Ideally, I'd just add a script to the mother.

Back