• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Orange Project

Leikaru

Back from the dead...
Years
I like the poison types. They remind me of Shroomish in the Gen 3 games. Stupid to battle against. Gives you something to work on though I. An idea; a kangaroo evolution group. So you have the Joey, which evolves into a big angry kangaroo. Just a thought for you.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
I like the poison types. They remind me of Shroomish in the Gen 3 games. Stupid to battle against. Gives you something to work on though I. An idea; a kangaroo evolution group. So you have the Joey, which evolves into a big angry kangaroo. Just a thought for you.

I believe the kangaroo you are thinking about is kangaskhan

Leikaru

Back from the dead...
Years
I believe the kangaroo you are thinking about is kangaskhan

Not really. Kangaskhan's are based off kangaroos with the pouch thing, but they aren't really kangaroos. Actual Kangaroo Pokémon, that have features of a Kangaroo (like the ears, funny snout thing, etc.)

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Given that I've already a) gotten my dex list pretty much where I want it (160+ total critters with fairly good type balance... yeah, I'm done) and b) got a kangaroo- well a kangaroo rat-kangaroo hybrid- that's kind of irrelevant. But thanks anyway, I guess!

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Live, thread, live! I have something to actually post! This picture was a pain in the arse to clean because of all the black, but here's the next line I want to feature: Lamil and Wolvile!

Spoiler:

These two are based on a mix of a "black sheep" and a "wolf in sheep's clothing". Lamil's pure normal, but Wolvile has a unique type combo of normal/dark. They have access to status moves like Cotton Guard as well as the Prankster ability and very good physical defense, making them good annoyers who can even take a extra-super-effective fighting attack if they've had a chance to set up. Conceptually, they're tricksters with a somewhat meaner bent than Kyubi, as well as a predatory side. Wolvile also has a bit of the werewolf in it- it howls at the moon, which gave birth to the myth that the light of a full moon would uncover its trickery. They're found in the rocky mountainous areas of Naval.

So, you guys likey? :3

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Baw no one loves me

So, moving right along here, have a look at another of Naval's new species: Egby, Cockellet, Cochinken and Gallantus!

Spoiler:

These fellas are based on the entire life cycle of a chicken, from egg to the sexually-dimorphic adult forms, with a gender-based split evo to go with it. (The two pictures of Egby are of it before and after using Shell Smash. Because it learns that at an absurdly high level.) They start out pure normal-typed and unable to fly, but gain a flying type in the final stage of evolution.

Cochinken is meant to have a stereotypical housewife/maid sort of look, with its front feathers resembling an apron and some feathers on the back resembling apron ties. It's specially-oriented in contrast to Gallantus's more physical stats, with access to Hurricane and the now-special (and signature) Egg Bomb. Gallantus is based on a cowboy (I don't remember why I thought this made sense, so don't ask), with the comb resembling a cowboy hat, and with access to with moves like Crush Claw and Brave Bird.

Part of what I wanted to do with these guys was give as much emphasis to their normal typing as to the flying, in contrast to all the birds in the canon games that are just normal as a matter of course. So not only do they learn normal-type moves suited to their concepts and designs, they're featured on the team of the region's normal-type gym leader, Blanche.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
And now for something completely different! I decided to take Fire Flyy's suggestion and add a few more towns to the map. Here:

Spoiler:

*Windsor Town: A brown little town between Springbud and Honeydew. Not sure what's going to go here yet, really- I'm thinking it'll be something that becomes more useful later in the game, like a shop where you can exchange berries for stuff, or a place where you can make the local Pokeblock-equivalent. Why would you need Pokeblocks? You'll see.
*Telemagen Town: The center of Naval's arts and entertainment. It has an art museum and the TV station that manages all of those programs you can watch (listen to? read?). The main attraction is the Telemagen Amphitheatre, where you can participate in Pokemon Performances.

Pokemon Performances are a new minigame (which means more coding for me, yay) that's something like a cross between Contests and movies. Like movies, you have a script you can chose lines from, as well as prompts for Pokemon moves to the effect of "use a move to boost your stats" or "use a sound-based move". Like Contests, your Pokemon's stats and choice of moves affects audience reaction and how well you do overall. Going off script might get you a "strange ending", or it might just mess up the play and get you a bad ending. And of course, there will be participation prizes.

The little red route there is Route 25 in its shiny new temporary location. I haven't quite decided where I want it yet. >>

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Welp

I bring you new things! Here we have the design for Cloveria, Cloverina and Oxalibis, the dancing flower-things!

Spoiler:

While Cloveria and Cloverina are based on clovers and, in the latter's case, Oxalibis is based on the oxalis flower, due to its leaves resembling clovers, and on capoeira. Cloveria evolves into Cloverina after a certain level if the weather is normal or sunny, but it it's raining, hailing or sandstorm...ing, it evolves into Oxalibis instead. The line has a luck theme as well, with Super Luck and Serene Grace as possible abilities (I think; I'm kinda still sorting that out :I).

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
... No, actually, I wasn't thinking of Bellosom at all. XD It started out based on clovers and oxalis, and the dancing theme came in later.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
I don't think I'm good enough at spriting to really do them any justice. I'm not even sure these are the final designs- I might decide later on to tweak them. But thanks XD

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Apparently even college can't keep me from having way too much spare time on my hands... so I knocked together a mockup of the starter town in PSP. This is largely the sort of tiles I want to work with. Tiles from here, here, and here.

TESTMAP.png

The path probably needs some work, that gap in the trees in the lower right is the result of a copy-paste error I didn't feel like fixing, and I vaguely feel it's missing something. The fence on the right is a placeholder for a gate- not a separate map route gate, but like a chain-link fence, the sort of thing you'd put up and hand a "no trespassing" sign on. Ho-oh statue is also a placeholder. I'd post this on the Map Showcase thread, but I'm not sure if you're allowed to post mockups or if it's actual maps only. So, whaddyou guys think?

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
... And another one, this time of Route 19, the second route you'll set foot on in this region!

test-rt19.png

I chose those grass tiles because I liked how they look (they're just edited from a Bulbapedia screenshot), but I'm not sure they go well with the other tiles. And I know most of the grass is avoidable, but since this is an earlier route I figured making it kinda easymode would be alright. Thoughts?

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Hi guys. Sorry to disappoint you, but I am indeed still working on this project! Ha ha. But right now I want to wait and see what sort of new Pokemon show up in Gen 6, so I can appraise my own Fakemons and take out or change any that're too similar to existing 'mons.

At the moment the only one that seems to be a problem is Pancham versus my Sanda and Pamurai, which is an underdeveloped line I probably wouldn't feel to bad about replacing. On the other hand there's apparently a mantis/pistol shrimp just revealed, which worries me, because I like my Shrimple line, but I guess as long as newshrimp doesn't have a gimmick like Shrimple's making them visually distinct will be enough. Fennekin is different enough from both Kyubi and Sparx, and Noivern from Foxat, that I don't think I need to worry about those.

I also won't be adding any fairy type 'mons to the 'dex, which won't look too out of place anyway due to the complete lack of dragon types, so.

In other news, I'm considering removing Ruin and Dimonix from the 'dex. Not from the game, mind- they'll still exist in in-game lore and such- but they won't be catchable by the player, due to them being dead for thousands of years and all. In their place I'll be adding two more legends which have connections to Tiamit, neither of whom have pages just yet. So, like, stay tuned!

Back