• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Graphics.

3D Graphics good or Bad?

• Good

Votes: 103 88.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Dosen't Matter

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen May 14, 2013
Loving the new games! I've been away from this forum for too long! Thank goodness there aren't any non-sensical posters like the ones in serebii here haha

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
They look so much crisper and clearer than they did before. The comparison really does showcase that very well. I'm excited that they've come that far in just the few months, so it's exciting to think about what more they could do with the five months they have until the release of the games. Honestly if they were left as they were now I'd be happy, but if they could go further that'd be awesome.

blue

gucci
Years
These two images seem better to compare due to the similarities of the surroundings. There's so many graphical improvements to the more recent screenshot, it brings life to the image with the addition of the NPCS, the car, foliage etc. Also, the colours have flourished compared to the dull looking image from January. If they keep this up these games will look even more beautiful by October.

Spoiler:

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Wow. How much the graphics have improved since the first trailer is just wow. They look beyond fantastic, clearer and cleaner now and I see even more improvements to come. It looks like we're not longer gonna be restricted by 4 directions and will be using the slide pad to move and turn the camera everywhere. I love this a lot cause it feels more natural and gives a more 3D look.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
The graphics look really good, even for 3D->2D bits. I bet they look even more amazing in 3D, since they're intended to be viewed in 3D.

It's hard to judge flats of 3D polygons and models like these. The "true" effect and the double-imaging to create said effect adds such specific and defining elements to the final product... Stuff that a simple 2D can't bring about or interpret.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
If that's the case imagine how good it's going to look with the 3D effects on. I mean I personally probably won't use them, but I'd be pleased with just how they look on the 3D plane.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
I know! It's going to be absolutely amazing. I can't wait for the release. The newest screenies look really, really good (old ones were meh); the final product is going to be mind-blowing. The 3DS' capabilities are really going to complement the series phenomenally.

Chatot Lover

happy
Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2013
I'm not impressed by the graphics. They could have been a lot better, regarding the fact that it's a 3DS game. I mean sure, for a Pokémon game, it does look decent.

I just don't understand why GameFreak always lags behind.

blue

gucci
Years
Well they still have another 5 months of development and it can only get better from here! I'm pretty happy with how the graphics are now but if they were to improve them over the coming months, I'm going to be really pleased with how these games graphically enhance.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
I'm not impressed by the graphics. They could have been a lot better, regarding the fact that it's a 3DS game. I mean sure, for a Pokémon game, it does look decent.

What kind of graphics were you expecting exactly? It should also be noted that it's their first time working with this, so it will only get better with time.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I really love how the plants and leaves are animated, as well as the wind in the battles, it makes them seem really realistic. gj graphics team! n_n

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years

On top of what was already stated, keep in mind we're still just on the 3DS. As far as graphics go they look good for the system. Plus, just between the release of just the two trailers the graphics have improved a great ton. There's still another 5 months until the games come out, so who knows what other improvements they could make in that time frame!

Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
The new battle animation

Hey guys i just saw the animation for Brave bird which was just breathtaking. i was wondering how everyone is finding new 3D attacks.

Warship

異議あり!
Years
so far im pretty impressed with the graphics especially battle graphics. overworld is awesome too though and they still have lots of time to polish both of them. cant wait to see the game footage ^^

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
When you compare images from January to the images that surfaced this month, you can really see how much the graphics have improved. Alright so it's not a staggering amount but you can see the little details that have changed which make the games look much more appealing.
2dulgjl.png
It went from an eyesore to acceptable. That's a good improvement.

Still pretty bad, though. I get what they're going for but it's just really ugly. Look at the repeated textures, the low poly count and the JAGGIES. We need anti-aliasing here, it'd be a BIG improvement. Pokemon models are ugly, humans are fine though. I dig it. What's up with the lighting and shadows though...

As far as graphics go they look good for the system.
No they don't. This is the same system that gave us Donkey Kong Country Returns and Luigi's Mansion 2.

EDIT: Just noticed the poll. WHOA there. To think graphics doesn't matter is totally fine, but calling it good? Er...
EDIT2: Can I say I really don't like the art style too? Better than B/W, but it's really...I dunno, uninspired and bland? Even New Super Mario Bros has a better art style imo...

Nakala Pri

The 3D, in my opinion, is a huge leap forward for all Pokemon games. But it doesn't mean it's good!

The 2D was awesome, fine, ignoring the stupid 3D we face today. After Pokemon Conquest (AWSM game) was made, they started to make more effortless games. Pokemon Rumble? Ugh, come ON! :c

But I suppose it's okay, after all, the battles look okay. And the towns... so I shouldn't complain.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
I don't know why people are complaining about the graphics. I also don't understand this need to compare one game's graphics to another. You have different development teams with different artists working on those games. The vision one team has is going to differ from another. We also have to keep in mind that game developers are constantly playing a game of tug of war when it comes to game content. Sacrifices have to me made from some areas to implement needed or desired features.

So for a full RGP like Pokemon, some things like detail in the graphics have to be sacrificed to give you the breadth and scope that the game provides. The developers could vastly improve the quality of graphics in the game, as some wish, but then you might have to sacrifice game elements that you might also want. We all need to learn the art of compromise.

For me, the single most important aspect of a game is the gameplay itself. I don't care if I can see the individual blades of grass moving in the wind, or if the characters are anti-aliased. In the end I want a fun game that is visually appealing, challenging and with a great storyline to it.

To the nitpickers out there I say give it a rest. If the graphics are so important to you, then play only the games whose graphics meets your approval.

Back