• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Happiness Revamp

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I was just thinking about this and I figured it fit here best!

As we know, these games are mentioned to have tighter bonds with their Pokemon more than ever before. What comes to mind here is traded Pokemon, and using Pokemon at high levels before defeating a certain gym leader. Anything relating to your Pokemon not obeying you, basically. Then one item comes to mind, the Soothe Bell, the thing used to soothe restless Pokemon and increase your friendship with them. From that comes two ideas:

1. That traded, and high level Pokemon will obey you no matter what, as long as you have the Soothe Bell in your possession (making it a higher value item). And what if it was stolen (as part of the storyline), and everything higher-levelled than the opponent that stole your Soothe Bell no longer obeyed you, and you'd need to regain your friendship/happiness with them, leading to what was referred to in the first post, as to how to overcome that.

2. Jealousy. With happiness working out a certain way, could they introduce jealousy into these games? For example, if a Pokemon is being used less by another Pokemon in your party then it would become jealous and obey you less in battle, adding an extra (annoying) twist to the games until you used it more (meaning you had to pay attention to how jealous it was becoming, by the happiness checker).

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I think if they made it so Pokémon could become jealous and not obey you, it might confuse little kids who try and foolishly solo with their starter, when they find nothing is obeying them. I would like to see unhappiness used more, like an Eeveelution based on how much it doesn't like you.

Victini

I adore this idea so much oh my gosh. <33

Yes please!! We definitely need a happiness revamp!! >w<
With the whole battle revamp that has been hinted to occur regarding bonds, I am definitely hoping they will give us more of a reason to work on happiness (besides evolution or raising Return's attack power, etc). Having the opportunity to create an actual bond of sorts with your Pokemon would be awesome! Ever since I was just a tiny little Pokemon lover I've wished for our in-game Pokemon to be able to respond in more complex ways to happiness levels. I've always wished our Pokemon could be more like the ones in the anime.

Seeing them grow attached to their trainers in the anime, and be able to fight harder and longer because of their bond, is just pure awesome. Wouldn't it be something if our Pokemon actually initiated evolution earlier due to a strong bond? Similar to how they've been shown to evolve for their trainers in mid-battle when all seems lost...? That's another new thing!! Evolution -during- battle, rather than right after it! Kfkjslfjdol.. I'm getting all excited thinking about it. <333

It really just comes down to a greater realism in the Pokemon games in general. If they go through with all of the previous ideas stated above, as well as this hinted battle system I mean.

Disobedience, greater willpower, jealousy, anger, love.. they just... make sense.
Why would a little sentient being not have these kinds of feelings, afterall?

Back