• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen Names of Pokemon?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Were you not paying attention to what I said.
Yes, I was. They're already localized.

Pokabu is the Japanese name for Tepig.
Tepig is the romanization for Pokabu for English.

In the trailer, it announced their localizations which were already decided by them, and was the point of my post. So they won't change it now, especially since it was already announced.

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Jul 13, 2013
I suspect GameFreak used Nintendo's contacts around the world to get the script and names localized. I mean, Pokémon is fairly well known franchise, some Nintendo translators probably had some classified project "yellowfire" scripts on their desks.

As for the names, I like them all. Though I wish the German name for Fennekin, Fynx, was the one the English version gets. It just fits the look better to me, fox plus lynx. It's the excessive ear fluff. =^.^= It will be my Pokémon either way.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
I suspect GameFreak used Nintendo's contacts around the world to get the script and names localized. I mean, Pokémon is fairly well known franchise, some Nintendo translators probably had some classified project "yellowfire" scripts on their desks.

As for the names, I like them all. Though I wish the German name for Fennekin, Fynx, was the one the English version gets. It just fits the look better to me, fox plus lynx. It's the excessive ear fluff. =^.^= It will be my Pokémon either way.

See, yeah. Fynx.

I'd prefer that name, That's what I shall nickname it.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
I like the name, also the legendaries match the names of the game which indicates to me that they will play a large part of the game. I like the names, I like froakie's name the best!

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
Chespins name is actually really creative. I don't mind the other too as well. Xerneas and Yvetal are a mouthful to say, but are fine too.

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
Years
They're already English names. Mind you, they were first revealed on the English Pokemon Site. No point of changing.

Dragonika

Isshu Region Champion
Years
The return of originality?

Hey guys not posted in a while,

So I was wondering the names of the starters and both the legendarys for the 6th GEN we know so far I really think they sound awesome and original does anybody else feel like this gen is going to be the return of awesome and original names which we missed since GEN 3 :D

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Hey guys not posted in a while,

So I was wondering the names of the starters and both the legendarys for the 6th GEN we know so far I really think they sound awesome and original does anybody else feel like this gen is going to be the return of awesome and original names which we missed since GEN 3 :D

I don't quite understand by what you mean by "Original" names. All Pokemon in every Generation have had Original names. There wasn't much that isn't very original outside of a few generic clones such as the Regional Birds, Regional Rats, and Pikachu clones.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I like the starter's names, they are pleasant to say and hear.

All of them except Fennekin imo. Fennekin just seems so... long? Fenkin would be muuuch shorter and suit Froakie/Chespin better in terms of how it's said imo. Plus it'd sound closer to Tepig then :(

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
All of them except Fennekin imo. Fennekin just seems so... long? Fenkin would be muuuch shorter and suit Froakie/Chespin better in terms of how it's said imo. Plus it'd sound closer to Tepig then :(

Hm... Fenkin... instead of Fennekin would've been shorter, but I think the name "Fennekin" sounds better in my opinion. 'Cause you get to say "Fennec" as in "Fennec Fox" and then "Kindle". Where as if it was shortened to "Fenkin"... you wouldn't be able to say "Fennec" due to it being shorter. Either way, if it wasn't named "Fennekin", then it would've ended up being something like "Fenkindle". xD

And besides, I like the name "Fennekin". x3

Hm... let's see, Tepig... was a combination of Tepid and Pig, which explains why the name is short. ;)

blue

gucci
Years
I think Fennekin is a nice name, it has the same amount of Syllables as Oshawott, Cyndaquil and Charmander.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Oct 4, 2013
I like the name Chespin a lot. I think it really matches Chespin's figure. Fennekin also sounds good. I think Froakie is my least favorite name. I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just think it could be better. By the way, how do you pronounce Xerneas and Yvetal?

Guy

just a guy
Years
I like the name Chespin a lot. I think it really matches Chespin's figure. Fennekin also sounds good. I think Froakie is my least favorite name. I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just think it could be better. By the way, how do you pronounce Xerneas and Yvetal?
Xerneas would be pronounced as "ZURR-nee-us" and Yveltal would be "ee-VELL-tall." It took me a little time to catch on to them, but I got adjusted to their names in good time.

I think each of the starters have names that roll off the tongue quite easily. It just feels natural saying them aloud. I hope the same will apply for a majority of the Gen VI Pokémon. It makes them easier to remember. Some of the Gen V Pokémon have such odd names, I still haven't memorized them all.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Hm... Fenkin... instead of Fennekin would've been shorter, but I think the name "Fennekin" sounds better in my opinion. 'Cause you get to say "Fennec" as in "Fennec Fox" and then "Kindle". Where as if it was shortened to "Fenkin"... you wouldn't be able to say "Fennec" due to it being shorter. Either way, if it wasn't named "Fennekin", then it would've ended up being something like "Fenkindle". xD

And besides, I like the name "Fennekin". x3

Hm... let's see, Tepig... was a combination of Tepid and Pig, which explains why the name is short. ;)

I get why it's Fennekin buuut still it's long. :( It could've been something like "Kinfen" and that would've fit entirely!

Guy

just a guy
Years
I get why it's Fennekin buuut still it's long. :( It could've been something like "Kinfen" and that would've fit entirely!
When there are Pokémon around with names like Hippopotas and Alomomola, it's really hard to agree when someone says Fennekin is too long of a name. Haha. And it may be longer than "Kinfen" or "Fenkin" but it rolls off the tongue easier than those alternatives in my opinion.

Besides you can't complain that Fennekin's name is too long when Charmander and Chikorita's names are longer; the latter of which has more syllables.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I guess, but they just seem to fit better. :x It's just something about the double n, and starting with F that throws me off really. Yet on the other hand I'm completely okay with Yveltal and Xerneas. I'm weird.

Back