• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Pokémon that you don't evolve into final stage

Years
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
Are there any Pokémon that you don't evolve into their final stage? Either because of their design or abilities? Which ones?

OffRoadSP

Still working on Sun & Moon...
Years
I don't evolve my shiny Pokemon. I keep them in the stage I captured them in. If by chance I caught 2nd shiny Pokemon of the same species, I'd evolve the one with the better stat spread.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2013
if i could figure out how to trade in my emerald game, i wouldn't evolve a clamperl into huntail, ever. it just looks weird.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Well, I often delay evolution of pokémon whose design I really like, unless they learn a really good move it evolved at the earliest level. And example of the former would be Quilava, I delay its evolution until before Clair's gym if using it on HeartGold. Mudkip on the other hand, has to be evolved at lv.16 otherwise it's actually harder to use than the other starters - its type advantage over Wattson being completely wasted.
Poliwhirl is another I often delay, as I like the design of all 4 members of that family. And I also like utilising its speed for a bit before evolving into a slower pokémon.
Pikachu is one I've never evolved whilst using it as a team member. Mainly as I've only used it once, on LeafGreen when doing a game using PokéSpe Red's team. I evolved it once I was ready to move it over to DPtHG though.

Years
I pretty much evolve everything I can. Most of the time in game I prefer to have power over design so I can't justify not evolving something. That said I remember having mudkip up to lv30 before and then I had to evolve it to progress.

Other than that I've evolved everything I can in my pokemon games.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I considered not evolving my Vigoroth into Slaking in Emerald because of the latter's Truant ability, but I eventually gave in and evolved it because I needed the extra power. There are times when I hold back evolution on purpose so that the Pokémon gets certain moves at an earlier level, like Bagon and Dragon Claw.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Dewott is the only Pokemon I never evolve. No issues with Samurott! It's my 8th favorite, but Dewott is my #1 favorite [Pokemon] of all time. So by level 37 or 38 I give it the everstone (I get tired of pressing the B button to cancel the evolution)....

its the design and cuteness, and the fact that its my #1 favorite that prevents me from evolving it anymore - its the excuse I can think of for not evolving Dewott.

Years
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
Ivysaur, Oddish, Poliwag, Doduo, Bayleef, Quilava and Wooper are the ones I usually don't evolve.

P.S: I only play with Pokémon that belong to the first two generations.

Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2016
Same with Banz. I never evolved Pikachu, especially when Pikachu could get the Light Ball. It's definitely a little mouse you don't want to mess with then.

Years
There might be Pokemon that I hold back from evolving in order to learn a certain move earlier or something, but other than that, I almost always evolve my Pokemon if I have the opportunity. The rare occassion where I didn't was when I used Kadabra in both Yellow and FireRed. It wasn't that I didn't have anyone to trade with, but I just couldn't be bothered to do it, and it still held its own pretty well.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
Yep, I never evolve Pikachu either. Light Ball + Volt Tackle or Thunder = Carnage.

I also used to not evolve Scyther, because its speed stat was able to be higher than Scizor's.

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
I don't get the Light Ball Pikachu people. One hit and that thing is a goner, even if it is powerful offensively.

I wish it was viable to keep certain Pokemon unevolved. I love Flaaffy way more than it's evolution, but even with Eviolite It doesn't compare. I generally use Pokemon with designs I like, but knowing that I'm using an unevolved Pokemon that would be way more powerful if evolved... It doesn't feel right. I don't do ti.

I don't get the Light Ball Pikachu people. One hit and that thing is a goner, even if it is powerful offensively.

I wish it was viable to keep certain Pokemon unevolved. I love Flaaffy way more than it's evolution, but even with Eviolite It doesn't compare. I generally use Pokemon with designs I like, but knowing that I'm using an unevolved Pokemon that would be way more powerful if evolved... It doesn't feel right. I don't do ti.

Last edited:

SetheKing

"Ignore him, for he...Yeah, he's dumb."
Years
Vigoroth. I don't like the Truant Ability, so I always just leave him as a Vigoroth, I can't think of any others I keep from evolving, though. I usually prefer the added boost that evolution gives to the Pokemon, though I do prevent some Pokemon from evolving so they can learn better moves.

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2021
I normally don't evolve my Pikachu, like others said. The Light Ball makes him better offensively, and I like how he looks compares to Raichu. And I don't always evolve Scyther either. He's still really good as his type without steel. Besides that, I'll take the fully evolved form.

Last edited:
Back