• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sword Art Online

Years
^Just remember that Sword Art Online is probably the most popular anime out right now, for every hater out there, there are at least 300 lovers, it's just the negative reviews that stand out (for that reason).

Also, I'd say that comparisons to Dot Hack (Sign, especially, but R:1 and R:2 games and anime as well) are rather accurate. They both have similar themes (such as the character archetypes that make up both Kirito and Tsukasa) and the progress in similar fashions, though Sign puts less emphasis on fighting. There are other similarities, but they'd be spoilers to both series. This isn't a bad thing; in fact, I'd say that the similarities between the two make for great anime. Granted, I think that a younger person could watch SAO than one that could watch Sign, seeing the difference in pacing and the amount of talking that varies between the two.

That's quite true. The Online polling on Episode Discussions are quite consistent on this.

But anyways you're quite correct on the whole .Hack comparison. It's just that the two series came out at the same time, so it kinda grates LN readers when people say that it was just copied off.

Episode 11 thoughts:

Spoiler:

Jalsy

RESET
Years
-Episode 11-
Spoiler:

The mountain dew girl.. I love the trailer. Haven't seen the episode yet but It seems interesting.. seeing them like a family is really a sweet thing.XD

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
Glad that they're finally moving on with the storyline. Everything seems to progressing smoothly and it's great to watch :D Episode 9 would still have to be the best, that boss fight was insane.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
Gotta say I wasnt a fan of this weeks episode, I wanted either more lovey dovey or more action! I like how its moving though it does seem really interesting! Looking forward to next weeks episode like always.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
Years
Yui arc
Spoiler:

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
Before it started airing I heard lots of good stuff about the novel and looked really forward to the show. But then everybody started bashing the series and calling it bad. Well, I ignored them, as haters sometimes tend to nitpick about every little thing (yet ignore those little things for their favorite show).

I watched the first two episodes. I must say that I was hooked. They were really great and showed lots of potential, and since it reminded me a lot of .hack//, I looked forward to the rest of it. Sadly, as of episode 3, the show turned into a harem and episodes focused on showing how badass Kirito/Jesus is. Okay, episode three played a huge role in Kirito's character, but episode 4-7 were just fillers. The episode with that loli served only as loli fanservice and once again they showed off how badass Kirito/Jesus is. I mean, come on "You can only do 400 damage per 11 seconds, but I can regenerate 600 health per 11 seconds" (don't remember exact numbers) was just ridiculous. Also those mystery episode were really boring. They did serve as Kirito and Asuna's development, but they dragged it too much. Same goes with Kirito's quest for his new sword. Once again they showed off how badass he is and Blacksmith girl started spouting nonsense. I was happy when I heard that they are going back to the story, and it improved a bit in episode 8th, but the show just kept showing off how badass Kirito is and making him do the impossible. Episodes 11 and 12 were the lowest bottom for me, especially the second episode. Thankfully
Spoiler:

I don't know if the show is bad or maybe I'm just too old for this.

Genesystem

Beef Alternative
Years
Before it started airing I heard lots of good stuff about the novel and looked really forward to the show. But then everybody started bashing the series and calling it bad. Well, I ignored them, as haters sometimes tend to nitpick about every little thing (yet ignore those little things for their favorite show).

I watched the first two episodes. I must say that I was hooked. They were really great and showed lots of potential, and since it reminded me a lot of .hack//, I looked forward to the rest of it. Sadly, as of episode 3, the show turned into a harem and episodes focused on showing how badass Kirito/Jesus is. Okay, episode three played a huge role in Kirito's character, but episode 4-7 were just fillers. The episode with that loli served only as loli fanservice and once again they showed off how badass Kirito/Jesus is. I mean, come on "You can only do 400 damage per 11 seconds, but I can regenerate 600 health per 11 seconds" (don't remember exact numbers) was just ridiculous. Also those mystery episode were really boring. They did serve as Kirito and Asuna's development, but they dragged it too much. Same goes with Kirito's quest for his new sword. Once again they showed off how badass he is and Blacksmith girl started spouting nonsense. I was happy when I heard that they are going back to the story, and it improved a bit in episode 8th, but the show just kept showing off how badass Kirito is and making him do the impossible. Episodes 11 and 12 were the lowest bottom for me, especially the second episode. Thankfully
Spoiler:

I don't know if the show is bad or maybe I'm just too old for this.
The whole "Demigod Kirito" thing was on purpose, one could even consider it an anime archetype. Other anime that did this were .Hack//Sign (Tsukasa), .Hack//Roots (The Terror of Death), and Trigun (Vash, and there's a reason for it. Rather than focusing on the difficulty of average combat, it focuses on the lengths that raw power can take you to, that no matter how strong you are, you still can't defeat everyone on that strength alone. One must make difficult decisions, and they are going to have their emotions toyed with and scarred. What's more, they can't do everything on their own, and they will undoubtedly make mistakes, and go to lengths that they never wanted to. Their power is immense, but on its own its not enough, there are other catalysts needed to be able to truly utilize that power to it's true potential, and even then it isn't always enough. It also deals with the main character being forced to become an outcast (in the case of Tsukasa, it is due to his disdain for adults and trust issues, in Vash's case, it's to protect them). Kirito really embodies all of these, and has gone through immense emotional and social trauma because of it. I'm not saying that I want you to like it more, you're free to do whatever, but in the case of the Demigod genre (and SAO), I'd say the handling of the character who is the Demigod is more mature than not.

Regarding SAO specifically, I'm expecting a new opening to appear either this or next episode, since the old opening seems to be "finished", so to speak.

Last edited:

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
Years
Some fun facts:

Episode titles for 15-17:
Spoiler:

OP2 - "INNOCENCE" by Aoi Eir
ED2 - "Overfly" by Luna Haruna

So we're definitely getting some good music there. Also, the single listings for those two songs on CDJapan list release dates for the end of November. Judging by the episode titles, I assume the OP/ED will change around 15/16 unless they don't care about spoilers for Fairy Dance.

Years
Anyone here read past the SAO arc? I'm always looking for thoughts on things.

Still some people are hating on Fairy Dance for some reason. I liked it actually lolz.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
EP 13 spoilers
Spoiler:

Claire*

Here's to the crazy ones.
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 29, 2013
Just saw episode 13 myself.

Spoiler:

Greenbeans

Guardian of Le Foret
Years
I just caught up and I am loving the show even more every episode :3

Spoiler:

Years
Ah this was a finely made episode. Can't wait for the next episode. The way they ended this episode is very touching.

Spoiler:

I liked the end card. Very inclusive. :3

Anyways can't wait to see the subs from Crunchyroll. Even though I kinda knew the gist of what was happening it's nice to know what they're saying. xD

*Grabs some popcorn* This should be a fun day everywhere Tehehehehe.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Just watched :D

I may be being stupid, but what on earth is going to happen in the next episode?

Spoiler:

Years
Just watched :D

I may be being stupid, but what on earth is going to happen in the next episode?

Spoiler:

It's going to be...

Spoiler:

Pppgggr

Cheese, for everyone!
Years
....I watched all 14 episodes of that, and enjoyed it, but DANG did they break the limits they set for their own world. Here're a few issues I had with that series:

If you haven't watched it, PLEASE dont open this spoiler. It's called a spoiler for a reason.
Spoiler:

Whoever is writing this series really needs to get everything straight.....When it ended so abruptly in episode 14, I actually thought they were getting horrible ratings and simply had to drop it.

As of now, I'm unsure as to whether or not I'll watch into the next season.....

edit: Replaced 13 with 14. My mind wasnt working.

Last edited:

Greenbeans

Guardian of Le Foret
Years
Wow episode 14 was great but...........

Spoiler:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
@Pppgggr

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

You're right, the writing in this series is bad buuuuut it's a light novel with the purpose of escapism and mindless entertainment.

@jerichob10

Netto answered that just 2 posts before you posted that.

Last edited:

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 12, 2018
1)
Spoiler:

2)
Spoiler:

3)
Spoiler:

4)
Spoiler:

5)
Spoiler:

Reki's well aware that there are issues with the SAO story, especially regarding inconsistencies between main story and side stories, since they were written after the fact. I believe I've heard that he plans to go back and rewrite the entire SAO section, but I forget where i heard it and don't have any immediate source at the moment.

Back