• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Former PokéPOTW] Favorite and Least-Favorite Starters

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
My favourite first stage starters are Piplup and Tepig because they're both so ridiculously cute and they're both Pokémon which you can tell will evolve to reach their full potential, and my least favourite first stage starters are Totodile and Oshawott because I find them both to be really ugly haha. My favourite fully evolved starter is Infernape because it's a badass and a lot of fun to use (plus I'm not hugely fond of any of the others) and my least favourite is Feraligatr - that family is my least favourite in the whole of the Pokémon world and I deeply wish they'd never been made.

As for including X&Y, Chespin's my new favourite base form! It's way too cute omg.

Lycanroc

under the sun
Years
In order from favorite to least favorite:

Empoleon, Blaziken, Swampert, Samurott, Charizard, Feraligatr, Sceptile, Infernape, Torterra, Typhlosion, Blastoise, Serperior, Meganium, Venusaur, Emboar

As you can see, I'm not a fan of Grass-types.

Oh, and out of the X/Y starters,

Fennekin, Froakie, Chespin

No hard feelings, Chespin.

Years
GenI

Squirtal, Wartortle, and Blastiose
Charmander, Charmeleon, and Charizard
Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, and Venusaur

GenII

Totodile, Croconaw, and Feraligatr
Cyndaquil, Quilava, and Typholsion
Chikorita, Bayleef, and Meganium

GenIII

Treecko, Grovyle, and Sceptile
Mudkip, Marshtomp, and Swampert
Torchic, Combuskeen, and Blaziken

GenIV

Chimchar, Monferno, and Infernape
Piplup, Priplup, and Empoleon
Turtwig, Grotle, and Torterra

GenV

Snivy, Servine, and Serperior
Tepig, Pignite, and Emboar
Oshawott, Dewatt, and Samurott

favorite to least favorite:
Infernape, Blastoise, Charizard, Feraligatr, Typhlosion, Empoleon,
Sceptile, Serperior, Venusaur, Meganium, Swampert, Emboar,
Samurott, Torterra, and Blaziken

Imho Infernape is the best of the fire/fighting starter combo with good stats and movepool. And I hate Blaziken because its stats and movepool. The reason for Venusaur for where he/she positioned is because it's to slow for my tastes and it's evolutions don't change enough. I've never liked the design of Chikorita, nor Bayleef.
Torterra is to slow for my tastes and even with ev training I could never get him fast enough to keep him.

As far as genVI Braixen and Fennekin, then Chespin and Quilladin, and finally Froakie and Frogadier. I just like the way Braixen and Fennekin look. Froakie would have been in second place if not for the way Frogadier looked. My biggest complaint with Frogadier is its hands. But I think these are the best three looking starters since genI. In every other gen with the exception of this gen and genI have had one or two of the starter that look a little wankie or just down right terrible.

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2014
Favourite: Sceptile, I love it's design, and it's signature moved (which other Pokemon copied), Leaf Blade. Samurott, Blastoise, Feraligatr and Serperior are pretty cool too.
Least Favourite: Emboar, obviously. While not as bad as Dratini to Dragonite, he looks nothing like his 1st form in any way except in colour scheme. Then there's the fact he's the third Fire/Fighting type in a row! Masuda said that they put most of their effort into the starters but Emboar (and Infernape, and Quilladin...) is evidence of their laziness. I always thought Venusaur and Meganium were a bit plain as well.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
My favorite starter is Mudkip because it's the first Pokemon I ever started with. Swampert is also pretty good, even though it took a hit in usefulness in Gen V. Chikorita is my least favorite because of how hard it is to use in its respective games.

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
My least favorite starter would probably have to be Chikorita. It's cute, but it's really more of a defensive grass type and that bothers me. My favorite would be a tie between Trecko/Froakie/Fennekin.

Back