• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Speech bubble message system v0.6

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
Years
If you've not ignored this thread post thinking, can't be that's a hoax, then you've over come your senses to check this out. Yes, this is basically a public release, which, hoping Maruno will add it into essentials as a default feature once everything is running smoothly. This is aimed to make your game feel that closer to the originals game freak loves teasing us with. Even though it's not styled like the original games ones, this gives a more direct look into showing events talking. As by default, the messages will only appear on the bottom, not got intention right now to add in arrows for that as it's too generalized for all the scripts. Anyway, enough of my rambling, time for the actual thread.

Conditions of use:
You can modify the script, I don't mind that.
You must give credits to me, otherwise I will hunt and bug you. (Note, link will be removed if I see people breaking conditions)
Cannot claim as your own, or redistribute anywhere else without my permission.

How to use:
To use the script, before each show text command, you will need to do a script call, depending on the type of message you would like to display you need to do pbCallBub(type, eventid) An example of how to use this script, would be pbCallBub(1,13) The first value is set to either 1 or 2. When it is 1, it shows up the floating bubble message, when it is 2, it will show up the arrow message. The second value, is the event ID that you want to show as talking. My eventID is 013, so we put 13. If you don't put this script call before the show text method, it will simply assume you want a normal message window, and will not show the arrow.

Examples:
1_zps954213f5.png
2_zpsd444d2a1.png
3_zpsd09eb853.png

Downloads:
http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Tutorial:Speech_bubbles V0.6

Last edited:

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Wow, never imagined you'd make this public.. I was thinking about asking you if you could let me use this for my game. XD Thanks a lot man! I'll give you some feedback once I fiddled with it for a bit. Maybe you can get Maruno to implement this in the next version of essentials. Oops, should've read the rest of the post before saying things like this. ^^;

Last edited:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Well, it's good thing I'm still using v11 then.
mainly because your other scripts are on there too

ppooookkkkkkk

Banned
Years
If you've not ignored this thread post thinking, can't be that's a hoax, then you've over come your senses to check this out. Yes, this is basically a public release, which, hoping Maruno will add it into essentials as a default feature once everything is running smoothly. This is aimed to make your game feel that closer to the originals game freak loves teasing us with. Even though it's not styled like the original games ones, this gives a more direct look into showing events talking. As by default, the messages will only appear on the bottom, not got intention right now to add in arrows for that as it's too generalized for all the scripts. Anyway, enough of my rambling, time for the actual thread.

Conditions of use:
You can modify the script, I don't mind that.
You must give credits to me, otherwise I will hunt and bug you. (Note, link will be removed if I see people breaking conditions)
Cannot claim as your own, or redistribute anywhere else without my permission.

How to use:
Simply do a script call before each message you would like to appear as a bubble like this; pbCallBub(true, eventid)
The eventid is the value listed at the top of the event page, example would be, the event ID is 001, so you would do pbCallBub(true, 1) this will direct the bubble to the screen position of event 1. The bubble will correct itself if it is going off screen. If you do not do the call, the script will assume you want the normal message window, and will display the message at the bottom of the screen.

Examples:
If video doesn't work use this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zC6n3QkWlM

BubbleMessage_zpscc1f5fb5.png

It given an error at the start: ---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
---------------------------
Exception: NoMethodError
Interpreter:542:in `get_character'
PokemonMessages*:1211:in `pbRepositionMessageWindow'
PokemonMessages*:1499:in `pbMessageDisplay'
PokemonMessages*:1019:in `pbMessage'
PokemonLoad:156:in `install'
PokemonLoad:289:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
DebugIntro:6:in `main'
Main:37:in `mainFunctionDebug'
Main:15:in `mainFunction'
Main:15:in `pbCriticalCode'

This exception was logged in
C:\Users\M.ahmad\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.
Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
It given an error at the start: ---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: NoMethodError
Interpreter:542:in `get_character'
PokemonMessages*:1211:in `pbRepositionMessageWindow'
PokemonMessages*:1499:in `pbMessageDisplay'
PokemonMessages*:1019:in `pbMessage'
PokemonLoad:156:in `install'
PokemonLoad:289:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
DebugIntro:6:in `main'
Main:37:in `mainFunctionDebug'
Main:15:in `mainFunction'
Main:15:in `pbCriticalCode'

This exception was logged in
C:\Users\M.ahmad\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.
Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

Huh, I don't get this message.

---------------------
It would be nice if there was a install tutorial

carmaniac

Years
Huh, I don't get this message.

---------------------
It would be nice if there was a install tutorial

I will provide an install tutorial tomorrow, it was mostly released like this as it's not that user friendly to get correct. Also anyone getting an error to the 'events' method, remove your game save.

carmaniac

Years
For those getting an error on the 'events' update the PokemonMessages script with this version:
Not available.

Also will be updating the download link for the entire kit:
Not available.

Thank you Cilerba.

Last edited:

carmaniac

Years
Just created an install guide for those who want to use the script outside of the compiled kit.
Not available.

Last edited:

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
Well well now Ryan, It seems to look good. I haven't used or seen the script though; So what did you do? Make a method to define which event it should look for? Then depending on the position of the screen it will either be above, or under the event?

carmaniac

Years
No. It gets the event and player map positions, and calculates the distance between them. Then it converts them to pixels instead of coordinates and repositions the value from the center of the screen. Having free roaming bubbles anywhere on the screen, no matter where the event is. (courtesy of moi)

It doesn't use that code anymore XD, pretty sure I notified you of this a while back. It just gets the screen position of the event instead of the map position, meaning no more dodgy bubble positions on screen when the map has been scrolled via an event.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
It doesn't use that code anymore XD, pretty sure I notified you of this a while back. It just gets the screen position of the event instead of the map position, meaning no more dodgy bubble positions on screen when the map has been scrolled via an event.

Lol, I looked through our chat history. You did mention something like that. Hahaha, I feel stupid.

Back