• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Starter that's not a Starter?

heyo

HEYO!
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
When I play Pokemon, I always think of using the starters that are handed to you as being cliche, and I instead catch a different Pokemon or alter the starter to make that Pokemon my "partner."

So, my question is, what Pokemon do you think would be the best starter besides the actual starters themselves?

For example, I've found Mareep or Shinx to be some of my favorite Pokemon to start with.

Last edited:
Years
Well, I do have the experience of making non-starter Pokemon my essential starters:
Kanto: Butterfree (as is the plight of almost everyone who starts with Charmander and has to beat Brock somehow)
Johto: Scizor
Hoenn: Gardevoir
Sinnoh: Mismagius; Weavile (kinda)
Unova: Scrafty

Years
I have used so many alternative "starters" at this point it is hard to keep track but here are the ones I remember by final evolution

Nidoking
Gible
Mismagius
Lucario
Golem
Gengar
Electivire
Magmortar
Staraptor
Skamory
Golduck
Crobat
Steelix
Luxray
Agron

Some I'd like to try as "starters" are

Walrein
Seismitoad
Kabutops
Vanilluxe
Reuniclus
Manectric
Alakazam
Rampardos
Hitmonlee/Chan/Top
Umbreon/Espeon/Flareon/Vaporeon/Jolteon/Leafeon/glaceon
Rhyperior

I prefer to use pokemon with strong 3-stage evolutionary lines so they still feel like starters but I am okay with some of the 2-stage lines. Really anything that isn't in the "no TM's or good moves/stats till later" group (Feebas, Magikarp, Tynamo, Kricketot etc)

Years
The main two Pokemon that I've used as "starters" on my team were Pidgey in FireRed, and Caterpie in HeartGold. Both of them are common Pokemon that you can catching in either the first or second route of the game, but they really took the leading role in my party. Granted, I'd be disappointed if I received them as an actual starter, but they worked out a lot better than the actual Pokemon I was given.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I've tryed many Pokemon myself but that one I liked most was Celebi. It's not the best Pokemon and his movepool is really limited (confusion was the only attack it could use for damage), but it was fun to use till the and.

Floodblade1234

Spirit of Azelf
Years
hehe! I did this once! I got a Shinx! good times,good times..oh,the game I was playing was Diamond (using an emulator..shh,I won't tell if you don't! ;)) and that was fun. try playing it with a combee starter..freakin' impossible!

infersaime

Come and get me
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I did this twice one time in Ruby were my Breloom was my partner and ne time is soulsilver were Jolteon wwas my partner.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I'd consider any Pokemon you can find early in the game a good starter, but one that comes to mind, is Shinx. It has two stages and Luxray has good enough stats to be a good starter.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I did this with Porygon for Black 2 and it performed very well. It does seem like one of the more logical starters for a researcher to give out; one would think there'd be many copies available for distribution, since it's artificial and can be stored, but I suppose it's also expensive. It's probably not the best starter due to trading being necessary for its evolution, but if that's not an issue then it could well be one of the best outside of things like Larvitar.

Last edited:

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Except for Unova, I never used the starter (after catching my 7th Pokemon or more, starter goes to PC).... if I could have it my way....

Kanto: Meowth, perferct starting Pokemon for me, top partner in Kanto
Johto: since I don't like Johto Pokemon that much, I'd say Meowth again
Hoenn: Really love to have Zigzagoon or Zangoose instead of the starters
Sinnoh: Buizel, Shinx, or Glameow would make excellent starters, at least in my opinion
Unova: Nothing wrong with the Unova starters, but If I could: two can be caught early in the game, I would love Patrat and Purrloin, and another choice is a low level Mienfoo.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
In my FireRed I traded my starter over to LeafGreen immediately (Bulbasaur) and I wanted an elemental pokemon to help me through the gyms and such so I caught a Poliwag. Poliwrath is one of the strongest members of my team :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
I caught a pikachu as the first pokemon I caught... and he is still on my team, he gets great moves complimented by his great tms and optional evolution... he would be a great starter that is not a starter...

even though he is a starter in yellow... (i was playing fire red)

but I like the idea... what if in the beginning of the game you are released into a field with many pokemon (like safari zone) and you get to catch one to start your quest... that would be neat.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I love Shinx because it's so cute and useful early on in the game, plus it's been the only 'starter' who I can honestly say I like and get excited to catch early on.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Ever since Wally did it, I've wanted to start with a Ralts. Yes - the level up moveset would have to be changed a bit for it to really work, but all it would take would be learning Confusion at level 5 instead of 6, and that'd be that.

I did a solo run of White, which sort of counts. I kept my "starter" (Snivy) exactly long enough to catch a Lillipup, then used that through the rest of the game. It worked out quite well.

I could happily start any of the games with a Zubat. Or a Shinx. Or a Swinub. Or a Sewaddle. Or, absolutely, an Eevee.

Back