• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I watched some of the Pokemon speedruns, seeing that finally feel on a weekend to me. May be watching a few of the other highlights.
I don't really like speedruns for the simple fact that it's not too entertaining to watch, in my opinion. I appreciate the dedication it takes to do a speedrun, since I know it is a very difficult and challenging thing. But it's not really for me. :P
I find them entertaining in part of the glitch exploitation. It's neat (at least, for myself) to think how they're exploiting the programming to skip a whole section or even just get to the end. Heck, the ability for them to get older Pokemon games to execute code they write up is quite a solution to beating the game, although not quite how I remember playing the originals. =p

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
I don't really like speedruns for the simple fact that it's not too entertaining to watch, in my opinion. I appreciate the dedication it takes to do a speedrun, since I know it is a very difficult and challenging thing. But it's not really for me. :P

I agree that most speedruns aren't very entertaining, but I still love them. I think Super Mario 64 is probably the most entertaining to watch, since it's non-stop action and edge-of-your-seat suspense - not many games are like that.

The ALttP runs were definitely my favorite of this SGDQ, the commentary was excellent and the couch/donation comments were hilarious.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
It's fun when the speedrun is actually legit - i.e. no glitches, hacks to diminish time such as in Ocarina of Time - but I do give mad props to the people who can find loopholes in the game to help them claim records.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I don't watch speed runs. But, I also don't watch let's plays.

I'm not big on this. I want to play. It feels like watching someone read a book to me.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I don't watch speed runs. But, I also don't watch let's plays.

I'm not big on this. I want to play. It feels like watching someone read a book to me.
I think there's a difference between Let's Plays and Speed Runs though.

For instance, with Let's Plays, all there is to it is someone playing a game. That's it. I've never been a fan of it myself, and I only watch Game Grumps (and there, it's for the commentary, mostly).

Prior to AGDQ, I'd assumed it would be boring just watching people beat games as quickly as possible, but it's surprisingly exciting (especially at GDQ). The stakes are high, the players are often daring, and it keeps you on the edge of your seat, especially when the speedrunner tries to do something particularly risky. Plus, if the speedrunner or the couch commentary is interesting or funny, it makes for an all around enjoyable experience. Not to forget that you can learn some pretty cool things by watching.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
Speedruns can be pretty boring, but sometimes I do watch them just to see how fast people can beat bosses. I do love watching Let's Plays though. Game Grumps of course and then sometimes I watch Tobuscus and Pewdiepie for Happy Wheels and some other games but I'm not too into them.

Penelope

fluffy Flaaffy
Years
I'm not into speed runs, and I only watch let's plays of older games that I never had a chance to own myself. I don't see the point if I have the game already when I could be playing it XD

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'm not into speed runs, and I only watch let's plays of older games that I never had a chance to own myself. I don't see the point if I have the game already when I could be playing it XD

Same here! Though, I have tendency to avoid let's-plays of games that I absolutely feel that I'll be playing at some point in future. If not, then I'll simply go ahead and watch.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 27, 2022
For instance, with Let's Plays, all there is to it is someone playing a game. That's it. I've never been a fan of it myself, and I only watch Game Grumps (and there, it's for the commentary, mostly).

That's quite the over-simplification, lol. Or maybe most people don't actually differentiate the good from the idiots as we do... /shrug

What I mean to say is: It sounds to me like you're confusing the standard "I'm recording myself playing a game for the Internet!!" kind of doofus with an actual LP. If it's a proper LP then there's no talking over cutscenes, there's both funny and insightful commentary about the game, the player isn't inept at the game, and -- even if you're familiar with the game -- chances are you will learn something from watching. It's meant to be more of.. an entertaining walkthrough, if you will. :3

And now I'll step down from soapbox, because we have a hurricane coming and I probably shouldn't be on my computer. xD I just really enjoy LPs when they're done right. ie, not the standard YT ones. I have a list of good LPers, and I have a Greasemonkey script blocking the bad ones from showing up on Youtube. c:

I just expect them to be entertaining, but when it's just two people shooting completely out of context injokes back and forth, it's a waste of time to me unless I know they player. Because then I know the injoke. Y'know? :P Or when it's some guy and his buddy playing really badly because "it's funny" then it's also a waste of my time. And for the love of God, what the ♥♥♥♥ is up with this "scare-cam" craze.. It is the dumbest thing.. :v

Like most others said, it's usually only for games I don't think I'll ever have the chance to play, like the Super Mario Galaxy 2 LP that Diabetus just wrapped up recently. But sometimes it's fun to watch the better ones play old favorites. They usually show off easter eggs and stuff that I probably would have never found, lol.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
That's quite the over-simplification, lol. Or maybe most people don't actually differentiate the good from the idiots as we do... /shrug

What I mean to say is: It sounds to me like you're confusing the standard "I'm recording myself playing a game for the Internet!!" kind of doofus with an actual LP. If it's a proper LP then there's no talking over cutscenes, there's both funny and insightful commentary about the game, the player isn't inept at the game, and -- even if you're familiar with the game -- chances are you will learn something from watching. It's meant to be more of.. an entertaining walkthrough, if you will. :3

And now I'll step down from soapbox, because we have a hurricane coming and I probably shouldn't be on my computer. xD I just really enjoy LPs when they're done right. ie, not the standard YT ones. I have a list of good LPers, and I have a Greasemonkey script blocking the bad ones from showing up on Youtube. c:

I just expect them to be entertaining, but when it's just two people shooting completely out of context injokes back and forth, it's a waste of time to me unless I know they player. Because then I know the injoke. Y'know? :P Or when it's some guy and his buddy playing really badly because "it's funny" then it's also a waste of my time. And for the love of God, what the ♥♥♥♥ is up with this "scare-cam" craze.. It is the dumbest thing.. :v

Like most others said, it's usually only for games I don't think I'll ever have the chance to play, like the Super Mario Galaxy 2 LP that Diabetus just wrapped up recently. But sometimes it's fun to watch the better ones play old favorites. They usually show off easter eggs and stuff that I probably would have never found, lol.
Well I was generalizing, because that's what a Let's Play is. Sure, there are different types, but for a Let's Play to be a Let's Play, it just has to be someone playing a game and then posting it on the internet. It doesn't have to be good to be a Let's Play, it just can't be...say, a clip or highlights. It has to follow the player.

For instance, someone can start a game and play it to the finish with absolutely nothing to say, it'll still be an LP. But if...say, Game Grumps do a one off, it's still an LP. Similarly, if someone does a challenge or has some type of quirk to the LP, it's still an LP. But it's because of the broad nature of the genre that it really doesn't interest me as a whole. And saying that there are certain prerequisites for what constitutes as a "proper Let's Play" is more a matter of personal preference/qualifications than an objective identification of what counts and what doesn't.

The whole reason that I got into Game Grumps wasn't because they were LP, I rarely even have a chance to refer to them as that. In fact, the appeal there is mostly the commentary and not the gameplay (though they do go hand in hand a good number of times). I got into it because I saw that an animator I knew of growing up (or...in my early teen years forward, I guess) made a channel and it ended up being pretty funny. That was assured quality, basically. At the same time, and I'll 180 this back to my original point, they're not the majority. They can't be. LPs are too broad to be and, as a concept, too simple for them not too be done by the masses. It's basically the same reason why I don't watch something on youtube made by some random Joe and expect it to be good, especially when taking views into consideration.

And in the case of games I won't ever play...I probably won't watch at all. With GG, it works because I watch for the commentary first (but of course, gameplay and other facets aren't counted out of the equation completely, especially since I watch the show and don't treat it as if it were a podcast). There are other reasons as well, but that's the sort of idea to the show, for the most part. That's why the appeal is so varied, especially because they never ignore the game altogether and don't really bind themselves to specific genres. And I know not all LP should be about the commentary first and foremost, but it works to view GG that way because that's their hook. It's in their name. But if you're watching an LP that puts the gameplay first, unless the LPer is doing something explicitly entertaining (scare-cams for horror games, commentary/challenges/etc for narration non-heavy games, etc.) then I can't see any reason to watch. Because if I don't want to play the game and the LPer doesn't really provide to make up for the "why", then I'm just watching the game. The game that I don't want to play. And in the case that it's a game that I can't play for whatever reason, I still wouldn't, because it would be riddled with spoilers for when the chance comes for me to actually play it. That's just me, though.

But I think the biggest difference is you go into them expecting them to be good, but I can't do that for anything that's so easy to produce. Anything at all; because when that's the case there's such a large margin for quality.

Last edited:

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 27, 2022
Well I was generalizing, because that's what a Let's Play is. Sure, there are different types, but for a Let's Play to be a Let's Play, it just has to be someone playing a game and then posting it on the internet. It doesn't have to be good to be a Let's Play, it just can't be...say, a clip or highlights. It has to follow the player.

For instance, someone can start a game and play it to the finish with absolutely nothing to say, it'll still be an LP. But if...say, Game Grumps do a one off, it's still an LP. Similarly, if someone does a challenge or has some type of quirk to the LP, it's still an LP. But it's because of the broad nature of the genre that it really doesn't interest me as a whole. And saying that there are certain prerequisites for what constitutes as a "proper Let's Play" is more a matter of personal preference/qualifications than an objective identification of what counts and what doesn't.

The whole reason that I got into Game Grumps wasn't because they were LP, I rarely even have a chance to refer to them as that. In fact, the appeal there is mostly the commentary and not the gameplay (though they do go hand in hand a good number of times). I got into it because I saw that an animator I knew of growing up (or...in my early teen years forward, I guess) made a channel and it ended up being pretty funny. That was assured quality, basically. At the same time, and I'll 180 this back to my original point, they're not the majority. They can't be. LPs are too broad to be and, as a concept, too simple for them not too be done by the masses. It's basically the same reason why I don't watch something on youtube made by some random Joe and expect it to be good, especially when taking views into consideration.

And in the case of games I won't ever play...I probably won't watch at all. With GG, it works because I watch for the commentary first (but of course, gameplay and other facets aren't counted out of the equation completely, especially since I watch the show and don't treat it as if it were a podcast). There are other reasons as well, but that's the sort of idea to the show, for the most part. That's why the appeal is so varied, especially because they never ignore the game altogether and don't really bind themselves to specific genres. And I know not all LP should be about the commentary first and foremost, but it works to view GG that way because that's their hook. It's in their name. But if you're watching an LP that puts the gameplay first, unless the LPer is doing something explicitly entertaining (scare-cams for horror games, commentary/challenges/etc for narration non-heavy games, etc.) then I can't see any reason to watch. Because if I don't want to play the game and the LPer doesn't really provide to make up for the "why", then I'm just watching the game. The game that I don't want to play. And in the case that it's a game that I can't play for whatever reason, I still wouldn't, because it would be riddled with spoilers for when the chance comes for me to actually play it. That's just me, though.

But I think the biggest difference is you go into them expecting them to be good, but I can't do that for anything that's so easy to produce. Anything at all; because when that's the case there's such a large margin for quality.

I feel really terrible shortening this up to such a small reply but... while I do agree that you could call pretty much anything an LP, I think a lot of it -- for me -- is that I've spent an awful lot of time on SomethingAwful. They have a pretty decent standard for quality on there, so I've got a high-quality expectation before I'll call it an LP. Pretty much the only LPers I will watch at all are from there, and from there it's mostly been narrowed down to people I know and people I'd like to know, lol.
Not to sound all elitist or anything, haha, but to me LPs have been defined purely by, well, Retsupurae, seeing as they basically started it in the first place. And they do a great job of making fun of bad LPers. But most of those people have gotten better with criticism! :)

So because I feel bad that I don't have much else to contribute other than a "let's politely agree to disagree." I have a question of the utmost importance.

"unless the LPer is doing something explicitly entertaining then I can't see any reason to watch."

You mentioned the scare-cams I dread, so I'm curious to know if/where you'd draw the line on these sorts of gimmick-LPs. Like, say, would that include someone playing Super Mario 64 with just their feet? Or is that too 'gimmicky?'

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I feel really terrible shortening this up to such a small reply but... while I do agree that you could call pretty much anything an LP, I think a lot of it -- for me -- is that I've spent an awful lot of time on SomethingAwful. They have a pretty decent standard for quality on there, so I've got a high-quality expectation before I'll call it an LP. Pretty much the only LPers I will watch at all are from there, and from there it's mostly been narrowed down to people I know and people I'd like to know, lol.
Not to sound all elitist or anything, haha, but to me LPs have been defined purely by, well, Retsupurae, seeing as they basically started it in the first place. And they do a great job of making fun of bad LPers. But most of those people have gotten better with criticism! :)

So because I feel bad that I don't have much else to contribute other than a "let's politely agree to disagree." I have a question of the utmost importance.

"unless the LPer is doing something explicitly entertaining then I can't see any reason to watch."

You mentioned the scare-cams I dread, so I'm curious to know if/where you'd draw the line on these sorts of gimmick-LPs. Like, say, would that include someone playing Super Mario 64 with just their feet? Or is that too 'gimmicky?'
I don't think it's elitest at all. In fact, I agree with you for the most part. It simply comes down to wanting to see what you like to see, and having a standard works as a filter for finding what you like (and finding what's good and what isn't). I think that's a good way to go about it. Of course, nothing's wrong with being a little curious sometimes and straying from your norm.

As for the gimmicks...it depends. You see me harking back to GG alot because they're the only LP channel I watch, but one of the things is that I'm not really a big fan of scare cams, either. I'm not really against them, per se but...sorry to do this...there were two games GG did that really cemented why I don't think face cams are necessary (Dreadout and Silent Hill Shattered Memories). Legitimate fear will be effective and/or funny on its own. I get the idea of scare cams, but you can effectively get that fear across if the game truly scares the player.

In general, though...I feel that if someone is clearly reaching to get views by doing something unorthodox because they know that they can't provide entertainment on their own, that's too far. As you said, people get better from criticism, but if someone clings to a gimmick because that's all they have to pull in views, I can't good and well support it. Because that will get old. And while I don't think LPers need to change completely as they progress, they do need to strive to better their LPs as well as themselves, and clinging to a gimmick may sort of stunt that process. After all, even the most unique LP can be boring without personal effort. I know that's not the most direct answer, but that's what sort of came to me when I read that.

Speaking of reading, sorry for all this text <_<' It's not intentional, it just...happens. But if you really have more to say on the matter then by all means. I'm not the type to get personal with debates, and the wordiness might give off an air of aggressiveness, but that's unintentional. Honestly, I'm interested in hearing what people look for in LPs and why they like them. Because of their broad nature, it's interesting to learn what type of people like what, even if I'm not immersed in LP culture, myself.

TY

I'm not into speedruns that much myself, it is just not appealing to watch. Sure it is cool that you can finish a game so fast, but I like it when people take their time to explore the map. But the type of games I watch and like are barely speedrunable :P

Even when I try it it still takes me 15+ minutes for one mission, yay for RTS games, the genre that is barely speedrunable :D

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I'm not into speedruns that much myself, it is just not appealing to watch. Sure it is cool that you can finish a game so fast, but I like it when people take their time to explore the map. But the type of games I watch and like are barely speedrunable :P

Even when I try it it still takes me 15+ minutes for one mission, yay for RTS games, the genre that is barely speedrunable :D
Yeah, there was a speedrun of Warcraft 3 during SGDQ this year.

...Not exactly the most thrilling run you can find.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
I'm with the crowd that just doesn't like watching speedruns. Yeah, I guess it's interesting to see how speedrunners break the game for maximum efficiency, but if I'm watching an LP of a game I want to see how it's supposed to be played.

I don't have the patience to try speedrunning myself, either. With my backlog, it's hard enough to get through a game once, much less constantly practice, do multiple runs to get better times, etc.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I'm with the crowd that just doesn't like watching speedruns. Yeah, I guess it's interesting to see how speedrunners break the game for maximum efficiency, but if I'm watching an LP of a game I want to see how it's supposed to be played.

I don't have the patience to try speedrunning myself, either. With my backlog, it's hard enough to get through a game once, much less constantly practice, do multiple runs to get better times, etc.
I wouldn't really compare the two, though. I wouldn't recommend a speedrun to an LP viewer for much the same reason I wouldn't recommend an LP to a speedrun viewer; they're probably watching for different reasons.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I can play speedruns but I can't watch them. They're more boring than watching the game played proper and I don't know why. Something about the narrator not even being able to keep up with what they're narrating and doing the bare minimum in a game is a turn off to me.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Geez, I'm half surprised to see all this apathy towards speedruns, it's a little disconcerting.

Either way, we've been on this topic for...what, two? three weeks? Let's move on to something else. Specifically, What game would you like see get a port, remake, or an HD remake?

Because lately I've been playing older games that not only feel left in the dust as a series, but also could do with some improvement if they were to be given new life. Dot Hack GU is a good example of this. Things have been quiet around the Dot Hack Scene, and this is unfortunate because the game could do with some improvements that could greatly increase it's longevity and gameplay complexity to the extent where the crowd for the game opens up. Not to mention that the game isn't available as a Playstation Classic, so the only way to buy it nowadays is to find one in the range of $60 to $200, opened or otherwise. And it's sad to see a series I grew up with go without the West even getting the game that's supposed to be the bookend.

So what about you guys?

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
I'd love to see HD/remakes of Donkey Kong 64, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, and Diddy Kong Racing. Three of my all time favorite games very deserving of remakes. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back