• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Protagonists

Prefer the guy, or the girl?

• Total voters

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I do like the boy's concept. I feel like he looks more mature in a sense compared to any other characters, but that might be the fact he isn't wearing the stereotypical clothes the majority of the protagonists have worn.

The girl...the hair is killing me =3

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
How is the girl older if she looks younger? .-.

I don't really like either of them. RS had the best protagonists. Hiking boots + shorts aren't that killer of a combo either [/fashion critic].

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 9, 2013
The designs are better then the previous ones, because of the fact that they are older. The only thing i find off is the girls hair, how in god's name fit a hat over that? And the fact that it does not fit in with the rest of her outfit, would have been better off if it was a simple ponytail.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
Years
I find the guy to be a fresh breath of air. The past male protagonists were... bland, to me. This one has hair that's typical for a teenager. :P His clothes aren't bad either, I like it.

I love the girl, far too much. Probably my favorite female protagonist yet. Everything about her just rocks.

Would you rather have her walking around a region in flip flops, gamer?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I prefer the guy to the girl, but in my opinion the girl's character design is a lot more impressive when compared to the guy and a lot more unique. The guy to me reminds me of Lucas's Platinum design as well as Red's just mixed together. Whereas the girl's character design is completely different (as far as I'm concerned) when compared to the female protagonists from the previous generations. It also looks as though maturity for the games are evolving since the female character to me has a little bit of risque features, such as the shorts.

But I absolutely love the fact that the male is taller than the female.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
The guy= A way better choice than the other guy from Gen. 4, ewww...
The girl= How does her hair poke out of the top of her head it she has a hat?!

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
The girl's hair is terrible. So awful. The guy is great though, and I can't wait to kick her *** for having such horrid hair.

Danikamakaze

★ D a n d a n
Years
The girl actually looks more interesting this time around heh.
I like the boy too so, hopefully B&W won't turn out to be mass fail,
though I'm still going to buy it when it surfaces.

Guy

just a guy
Years
When it comes to the protagonist's art, I prefer the male over the female. However, if it's in the game itself, the female seems to have a more well designed appearance. As far as the art goes though, I feel as though the male carries the strongest look since Red and is definitely a stand out thus far. He isn't simply done and actually looks older than ten (which apparently he is).

The female as well looks nicer than the others, but yeah, the guy wins me over. But I'm not disappointed in either.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Both designs are awesome, I like how they made them seem older than the others have been. I like the male's design a bit more than the female one. He looks pretty strong.

~Platina's Jason~

Platina Fan to the 9th Degree~
Years
The guy to me reminds me of Lucas's Platinum design as well as Red's just mixed together. Whereas the girl's character design is completely different (as far as I'm concerned) when compared to the female protagonists from the previous generations.

Wait, what? The female's shirt and t-shirt combination looks similar to Dawns one shirt and her hat looks like Leafs. As for the hair issues, has nobody considered that it's a ponytail poking out through the back of the cap?

Anyways, I like both designs. They're unique, but not too far off from what you'd expect from Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Wait, what? The female's shirt and t-shirt combination looks similar to Dawns one shirt and her hat looks like Leafs. As for the hair issues, has nobody considered that it's a ponytail poking out through the back of the cap?

Anyways, I like both designs. They're unique, but not too far off from what you'd expect from Pokemon.
Hmmm... you make a very good point. I didn't really use Dawn in the previous generation (everytime I played, I chose Lucas) so I didn't have her character design in my head as I was typing that, but you're right. It does look as though her shirt is simply unbottoned and her t-shirt is showing from behind. But as far as her hat goes, although I see where you're coming from and it does look vaguely similar, I don't find that it was based off that at all. I prefer Leaf's simply because it isn't a typical baseball cap, though. And when it comes to the ponytail, I'm rather confused as well because that was the only logical assumption that could be made since hair doesn't just magically come out like that. Kind of scary that some people find it so crazy.

hackritus

Challenger
Years
Honestly, I like em both. The guy looks like he's in for the all-out adventure and the female looks like she's got a freaking parasite on the back of her head. WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE???

But seriously guys, you couldn't conclude that her ponytail-ish thing originates from the hole in the back of the hat and just curves up?

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 9, 2016
well i love them both because it feels like where i come from- everyone goes by these sorts of fashions-
actually the boy pretty much has the exact same clothing as me except the sweat-jacket has no zipper and the pants are jeans- the shoes are the same, different colors- same with the back pack- mines red :)
the only thing that's not really the same with us is the hat
oh, he also has my brown eyes
and the girl looks A LOT like my best friend :)

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2015
umm it only let me make 1choice, but just so everyone knows... i like PIE!!!!!! XD

the girl is gorgeous, but thats my opinion cuz shes like my fiancee but with a ponytail lol

and the guy is awesome, much better than Red :P

Back