• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Eye of the Dragons (Dragon Club)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
How do you feel about Gyrados' lack of a Dragon typing, despite it being a Dragon based Pokemon?

I Feel alittle weird since it should moslty have dragon type attackes and what makes it weirder is its first based pokemon which is magikarp a fish which evolves into a dragon kinda creepy but cool :)

Its been a while since I last visited the group :)
Well, as a lot of other Pokemon evolutions and concepts, this comes from Japanese culture, more specifically the tale of a carp leaping over "the dragon gate" and turning into a dragon. Of course this is a weird evolution unless you know of its origins, just like Feebas evolving into Milotic might seem weird, whereas I think it may be related to the tale of the Ugly Duckling, but yeah. Japanese culture has found its way into lots of stuff in the Pokemon world, as would be expected, which is also probably why we see so many dragons, since that seem to be a kind of creature that's used for a lot down in Japan/China and the places around there.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Huh...so you added the new topic. So, I may as well...

For me, I might've thought that it was truly a Water-Dragon type. But that was before, now it's a Water-Flying type, cursed by a 4x Electric weakness. Strange as to why it'd be given such a type, because...seriously, why Flying? "This doesn't make any sense!"

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Name: ♪Twiggy♪
Your Trainer Sprite:
Spr_BW_Iris.png

2 Partner Pokemon(First a Dragon type, second from Dragon Family): Haxoruuuuuuuuuuus and Scraggy.
Why have you chosen to become a Dragon Tamer?: Actually, more like, I don't really care about why - I don't know, really, but I do like having fun with them Pokemon and I know that they're pretty versatile, eh?

Huh...so you added the new topic. So, I may as well...

For me, I might've thought that it was truly a Water-Dragon type. But that was before, now it's a Water-Flying type, cursed by a 4x Electric weakness. Strange as to why it'd be given such a type, because...seriously, why Flying? "This doesn't make any sense!"

What's the type chart for a Water-Flying-Dragon? This could get problematic for battling in general.

PokemonGiratinaX

2015 Edition.
Years
Name: PokeGiratinaX
Your Trainer Sprite: Lance
2 Partner Pokemon: White Kyurem and Aerodactyl
Why have you chosen to become a Dragon Tamer?: Because I like Dragon-type Pokemon very much. Dragon Pokemon is important in my team.

How do you feel about Gyrados' lack of a Dragon typing, despite it being a Dragon based Pokemon?:
Because you know, Gyarados look's like a Drag0n but Gyarados isn't.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Name: ♪Twiggy♪
Your Trainer Sprite:
Spr_BW_Iris.png

2 Partner Pokemon(First a Dragon type, second from Dragon Family): Haxoruuuuuuuuuuus and Scraggy.
Why have you chosen to become a Dragon Tamer?: Actually, more like, I don't really care about why - I don't know, really, but I do like having fun with them Pokemon and I know that they're pretty versatile, eh?

What's the type chart for a Water-Flying-Dragon? This could get problematic for battling in general.
True, but I didn't even state that! Anyways...to alleviate this issue that came only because of the difference between Gen 1 and Gen 5, maybe they should give it an item that allows it to change typing, and maybe add in some stats, hm?

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
True, but I didn't even state that! Anyways...to alleviate this issue that came only because of the difference between Gen 1 and Gen 5, maybe they should give it an item that allows it to change typing, and maybe add in some stats, hm?

Oh man, this is probably going to be such a doozy, huh?

That said, it's a Gen I Pokemon, and back then, that type is almost useless.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Well, true, that's why. Due to the small (when comparing with the current number of Pokemon) number of Pokemon in Gen 1, Dragon-types were just a small piece in the chart of Pokemon types and how many Pokemon possess the typing. And with the small run of Ice-type Pokemon to counter it + Dragons (which would need it to face another Dragonite/Dragonair/Dratini), the Dragons of Gen 1 would only be one family -- the Dragonite family. And anyways, Water-Dragon can only be beat by Dragon-types, since Ice-types only do neutral damage, so they must've made it a Water-Flying due to that horrible imbalance. But with the increase in Dragon-types, now that imbalance is already CRYSTAL clear, no more. And in that exact game and its predecessors, they truly made a Water-Dragon for the first time. They should've done that before with Gyarados...

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
How do you feel about Gyarados' lack of a Dragon typing, despite it being a Dragon based Pokemon?

I think they just changed it's type so that it could be more balanced. Or thy didn't want too many dragon Pokemon in 1st gen. The Water/Flying type for Gyarados is very unfitting, but it's there for balancing issues.

mewmasterify

Actual Mew
Years
How do you feel about Gyarados' lack of a Dragon typing, despite it being a Dragon based Pokemon?

Gyarados was cool in Gen 1 because just look at it looks like a Water Dragon then when you see its Type then you will say "Really!?" and you will Likely Throw your Pokemon Games at The Wall but Gyarados is still Hanging in there in OU and OU Metagame. I would say Gyarados is well Okay.

Years

I don't mind about Gyarados being Water/Flying, but I guess the reason it lacked a Dragon-type was due to balance issues. They only wanted one family of Dragons to start with and the only Dragon-type move that existed back in Gen I was Dragon Rage which was a fixed-damage move.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
I'd Like to Join!

Name: CourageHound
Your Trainer Sprite:
100.gif

2 Partner Pokemon: Salamence and Gyarados
Why have you chosen to become a Dragon Tamer?: I chose to become a dragon trainer to embrace my fondness I have of my chosen dragons

Answering Current Topic: How do you feel about Gyarados' lack of a Dragon typing, despite it being a Dragon based Pokemon?

Well...I feel Gyarados should deserve dragon typing due to it directly stemming from a sea dragon. And it would most certainty benefit gyarados too giving him only one weakness. Aesthetically I would also prefer gyarados to be dragon just because of what its based on and how he would be much cooler, seeing as the part flying type seems kinda random. However I think his shiny form seems more dragonic than his regular form, idk.

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
Name: Ninjagon
Your Trainer Sprite:
100.gif

2 Partner Pokemon: Dragonite, Hydreigon

Why have you chosen to become a Dragon Tamer?: Because Dragon is the best type, imo. My fave poke is a dragon, so yeah.

Answering Current Topic: How do you feel about Gyarados' lack of a Dragon typing, despite it being a Dragon based Pokemon?

I feel as that, that is a big no no. It should be part Dragon, it looks more Dragony (lol not a word) than most of Game Freaks' creations, despite it being in the 151, the originals. So you'd think they got better at it. They did in some circumstances.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back