• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Wait... City!?

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
FINALLY!

I've grown quite tired of the trainer being from some random nowhere town. As one who's had to suffer living in the country for far too long, I cannot begin to tell you how refreshing it will be to begin a Pokemon game in, and have your character be a citizen of, an actual city.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
The thought of being able to buy Ultra Balls and deposit or withdraw Pokemon in my hometown alone excites me. I'm convinced, like all other games, your home town is just that, a hometown. It'd be awesome if the region's department store was located in your home city, though. That would just put the icing on the cake for me.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
The thought of being able to buy Ultra Balls and deposit or withdraw Pokemon in my hometown alone excites me. I'm convinced, like all other games, your home town is just that, a hometown. It'd be awesome if the region's department store was located in your home city, though. That would just put the icing on the cake for me.

Kinda doubt that, but considering that Black and White's was in the middle of a route? Yeah idk. Perhaps it's a city because it's just large though, and not that it'll have any other features. :(

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
I think it's big enough to be a city from the pictures of Hiougi City I've seen on Serebii.

They're apartments next to the protagonist's house and PokeCenter and Mart. These are both big buildings you see in cities, though the PokeCenter and Mart are also in towns.Also a Trainer School which have always been in cities. If I recall correctly.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022

Kinda doubt that, but considering that Black and White's was in the middle of a route? Yeah idk. Perhaps it's a city because it's just large though, and not that it'll have any other features. :(

Well shoot. :c
Well as long as I can buy an ultra Ball or two from the Poke Mart, I'm good. But I didn't think of the fact that they call it a city because it just reached the minimum capacity of buildings and people.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Watched the video and counted 7 buildings. It was a surprise...but sadly the "City" looks smaller than Lacunosa Town to me.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Watched the video and counted 7 buildings. It was a surprise...but sadly the "City" looks smaller than Lacunosa Town to me.
Well it is only the city you start in, and the first location in the game. I didn't expect anything too huge, and this looks pretty good to me!

I like the fact that we start in a city instead of a town! It just comes to show that GameFreak is starting to put an end to some of the boring repeated things in the game that we always have and expect. It's definitely one of the reasons people are liking what they hear so far, so much.

Man I'm so excited just to be in this city let alone play the whole game. o3o;

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
It's really made no impact on me, honestly. Though, I have thought of the starting trainers as always fitting better if they start in a small town. I see them more of an underdog, someone who wasn't thought of to be great in the world of Pokemon, and even being seen as such, they depart from their small town and go on a year-long journey, or, in our case, a couple of days long, to prove all the doubters wrong and become something more.

Starting off in a city is more like a rich kid leaving and knowing he'll attain greatness because he's rich, lives in a city, etc.

From the looks of the female girl, though, that second theory is all but right...

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022

Man I'm so excited just to be in this city let alone play the whole game. o3o;

I'm right there with you. The city tickles me pink. <333
Did they say what other buildings are going to be in the city other than the Center and school?

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
I'm right there with you. The city tickles me pink. <333
Did they say what other buildings are going to be in the city other than the Center and school?
Not that I know of, I'm pretty sure most of what was shown was just the rival and protagonist wandering around the place. The home of the protagonist in the city looks sweet though!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022

Not that I know of, I'm pretty sure most of what was shown was just the rival and protagonist wandering around the place. The home of the protagonist in the city looks sweet though!

Aw, well shoot. I love the protagonist's home. It looks so cute. And am I he only one who got more excited when I saw concrete walkways instead of dirty and grass?

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Aw, well shoot. I love the protagonist's home. It looks so cute. And am I he only one who got more excited when I saw concrete walkways instead of dirty and grass?

Nope, I'm adoring that as well. I like that they're finally straying off the stereotypical country-side that all Pokemon games seem to... well, always experience, even in the third generation when there was an attempt to add things like that to places like Slateport and Mauville. It didn't work. :I

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Nope, I'm adoring that as well. I like that they're finally straying off the stereotypical country-side that all Pokemon games seem to... well, always experience, even in the third generation when there was an attempt to add things like that to places like Slateport and Mauville. It didn't work. :I
Slateport and Mauville are amazing, don't hate! SMH RN BE ASHAMED.

I noticed that as well though! It brings out the New York in Unova, especially since it is a city. Cities need to be like that. :P

I'm quite pleased with Hiougi City really. It still screams "home", which I like.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Okay so in my timezone, it's still technically the same day, so it's not over a month, and Jake said in general earlier he doesn't care about the revival rule that strictly and the thread Suicune posted it in can't lead to any discussion because it's for new things, while this thread is for the starter city specifically. :(

...anyway, since we now know Aspertia City (as revealed in a press release) is the name of the starting city, how do you guys feel about it? It's interesting that they actually kept that it's a city in English (and do you prefer the other name, Hiougi City?) AND what does it even mean?! ...I haven't yet checked, lol. :x

Years
So Hiougi City has been localized as Aspertia City.

Interesting name but still doing the pun on clouds I presume?

At least this is the first hometown for the player that is actually a city.

Can't believe they released the English name this early.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2013
Aspertia sounds like a cool name to me, and I feel it fits the names of the others.
According to Bulbapedia, it is indeed a continuation of the cloud theme, this time using the undulatus asperatus cloud.

On starting in a city, it's hard to tell how much of an impact (if any) it'll have until you start playing the game, I suppose. Though I guess it's nice to have a little bit of a change.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Im glad the player character is from a city, such a nice change, even if just because of the look of it. It might not be a huge city, but it's a step up from the little starting towns previously.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
A a fragrant fan made of hinoki cypress tree wood.

^The definition of the city's Jap. name.

So Aspertia may be an allusion to some sort of tree?

Aspertia sounds like a cool name to me, and I feel it fits the names of the others.
According to Bulbapedia, it is indeed a continuation of the cloud theme, this time using the undulatus asperatus cloud.

On starting in a city, it's hard to tell how much of an impact (if any) it'll have until you start playing the game, I suppose. Though I guess it's nice to have a little bit of a change.

Well, chances are it could be part of a tree and part of a cloud. Possibly because the city is found in the woods with a lookout to the actual sky? So basically the name was chosen to reference both, maybe.

Years
I'm not going to lie, I've always loved the fact that the character comes from this tiny town and makes it in the big wide world, not to mention when people are like "Oh, you're from Pallet Town?" it kind of puts it on the map and makes that place more important :)

Having said that I do think being from the city is a refreshing change and I really like the idea :)

Back