• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon C# Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Last thread update: 2013, July 3rd

PokeSharp (for lack of a better name)

PokeSharp is a Pokemon engine written in C# using the XNA framework for rendering. The engine has been in development for quite some time however no in-game related things have been programmed yet, only the Map Editor has been worked on so far. However, Alot of the stuff written for the Map Editor will be reused for the Engine itself.

Purpose

The engine is being made to replace Pokemon Essentials. It will allow for a much better experience. Whenever I play a RPG maker based pokemon game, it alway feels weird and not like the original games and this is what I am trying to change in my Engine. The Map Editor is built for fast development and has only a small learning curve.

Cost

The engine will be absolutely free. I am 15 years old and doing this alone and completely out of free will, donations are greatly appreciated. Those who donate 5$ and up will have some sort of honorable mentions, I don't know yet. Perhaps a special rank on the forum when we have one or access to new builds of the engine and upcoming features.

Features

Engine Features:
- Day Night cycles with customizable colors
- C# Game component scripting
- Dynamically generated shadows for entities
- User-friendly easy to make events with all flow control statements
- Striving to make the engine feels EXACTLY like you were playing the real games, unlike with RPG Maker XP

Game Editor Features:
- All-in-one game editor, edit everything in it from maps to items to moves
- Import your own tilesets and entities
- Logic tile C# scripts
- Definable default project to load when the editor is opened
- 16 Layers of tiles
- Built-In script editor with syntax highlighting

FAQ

Q: What language is it written in? Does it use any framework?
A: C#, XNA framework

Q: What will it cost?
A: Free, will take donations

Q: How long have you been programming for?
A: Almost 2 years now. Started with Java and moved to C# about 2 months ago. C# is much more powerful. Screw Java. Java sucks. (for games at least...)

Q: What are your plans with regards to functions the future game developers will have once this engine is released? Rudimentary functions such as adding NPC's, giving Pokemon, giving items, etc. are expected but to which detail are you looking to giving default functions and actions for the developer to use?
A: Everything that has been done in Pokemon games from Pokemon Red to Pokemon Black and White 2 should be hopefully doable, whether it be an actual integrated feature of the engine or something you will have to code yourself with a LUA script.

Q: Will it be ported to the Xbox 360 seeing as it uses the XNA framework?
A: I don't think so. If yes, you will not be able to create projects on it, you will have to make them on the computer then submit them to a marketplace or something like that then it will be downloadable on the Xbox.

Medias

Engine
Spoiler:

Map Editor
Spoiler:

Credits
Pokemon Dawn / Krissel095 - same programming design patterns hierarchy reused + map editor design inspiration + some code from Dawn

Last edited:

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
Looks pretty good so far. Don't think there have ever been any successful Pokémon Engines yet so if this makes the cut that would be great, keep up the good work and good luck.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Almost done coding map connections

26D39

Years
  • Seen Mar 1, 2013
I really like your map editor, I might edit mine by removing the grid and just making the last tile pos purple as you did.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
I started working on the map rendering in the map viewer
2baWH

I also added a fill type of brush, as it can be nice sometime
2baZu

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
Years
This looks incredibly promising, and from somebody who has witnessed a friend try to re-create a map editor from scratch in XNA I bet there's a lot of work that has been put into this already. I really like the fact that this works through C#. I've only just recently learnt C# language and even more recently familiarised myself with XNA - therefore I know how powerful it can be!

I do have a question, however: what are your plans with regards to functions the future game developers will have once this engine is released? Rudimentary functions such as adding NPC's, giving Pokemon, giving items, etc. are expected but to which detail are you looking to giving default functions and actions for the developer to use? A planned list will be nice, and some people who are prominent at XNA could even help you to write them up, allowing for a quicker build overall. I do believe that the more functions you add, the merrier!

P.S. That map editor looks beautiful!

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
After almost 3 weeks of not giving any update, here is what I have been doing!

2muyf

2muyG

In response to Serene Grace above, I will give enough options to make a full game that mimics for example Fire Red or Emerald but i'm not sure about custom scripts that are ran on runtime and add full new functionalities and I have no idea how I would implement them.

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
This thing gets better with every screenshot. I really can't wait to see this dominating the whole of Game Dev.

Years
  • Seen Mar 30, 2013
Your editor looks great! I usually use Tiled, the opensource tilemap editor but you cant beat one you've made for really fitting your needs. C# is hard to beat for making tools fast!

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Damn.
How have I been missing this, it's looking good.
How to see more, if it turns out good, as seen, I'll be using. <3

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
I uploaded a video yesterday and I forgot to post it here, so here it is !

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Seeing your preview of a map editor is making me rather excited haha.

Will this be compatible with the Xbox XNA as well, or just the PC version? Seeing as I have an indie license, I wouldn't mind trying it on the Xbox once you have an initial release.

I doubt it will but who knows. You could download games from a marketplace i would make or something I assume. I doubt I would port the map editor to xbox though.

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
Will this be compatible with the Xbox XNA as well, or just the PC version? Seeing as I have an indie license, I wouldn't mind trying it on the Xbox once you have an initial release.
I think the question should be whether it would be allowed. I don't think it would be allowed.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
I think the question should be whether it would be allowed. I don't think it would be allowed.

That's what I was thinking too since the sprites don't belong to me (not even the name)

When I finish this project though, I plan on making it free and taking donations.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
You necessarily don't have to make a Pokémon game out of a Pokémon engine. Since it's all open-source (I think), you can always adapt it in various ways. But I think it's feasible, because from what I'm seeing, the map editor is part of windows and not part of the actual game executable, am I correct?

You are correct, it is a windows form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back