• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Half of a Hail team

Xia

Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2023
so yeah I'm thinking of a double battle - hail team

I have these three in mind;

Espeon;
Bold nature @ Petaya berry
6 hp, 252 sp.atk, 126 def, 126 spd.

Detect
Psychic
Signal Beam
Role Play

Glaceon;
Timid nature @ Chople Berry
6 hp, 252 sp.atk, 252 spd.

Hail
Blizzard
Water Pulse/Hidden power ground.
Helping Hand

Walrein;
Timid nature @ Leftovers
252 spd, 134 sp.atk, 62 def, 62 sp.def

Surf
Stockpile
Ice Beam
Aqua Ring

-------

Coming along with those I was thinking about Ninetales, Abomasnow and Glalie/Froslass

So, what do you think guys?

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
Years
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sorry, but this is very very bad.

First of all, this is "Rate my Team", not "Rate my Half Team". Either post movesets for all 6 Pokemon or don't make a new topic (use the sticky thread instead).

Second, your natures are pretty bad. Bold Espeon? Timid Walrein? What???

Third, your EVs are even worse. It's like you just dumped EVs in random places without giving it any thought. Some of your numbers aren't even divisible by 4!

Fourth, and probably most important of all is the fact that you most likely have no experience in double battles whatsoever. This is apparent in the fact that you are unable to stop opponent teams who use their own strategies. Rain Dance, Trick Room, Sunny Day, and Sandstorm teams. How do you stop them?

Double battles are tricky to master, especially for someone who is new to them. You can't just build any random team and expect it to work, because it won't. Read THIS guide to get more familiar with these battles.

Xia

Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2023
It isn't really relevant x3;

Anyway, i've come up with a team, tried to fix up the ev's a bit, and the natures. the things I didn't change I'll try to explain;

Espeon;

Modest nature @ Petaya berry

Detect
Psychic
Signal Beam
Role Play

This is more or less one of those pokemon to be considered to not be home in a hail team, but ok still going for it. it's moveset is also made up to fight for it's own life really....since Signal beam counters dark types. And I'm confident Psychic would deal with most ghost types....maybe not Dusknoir, but i'm ok with that.
Detect is a egg moved protect, and Role Play has much to do with the Snow cloak and Ice Body abilities of the team mates.

Glaceon;

Timid nature @ Chople Berry

Hail
Blizzard
HP ground
Helping Hand

A stab attack, one to counter fire and steel pokemon. Hail for when it would be necessary and Helping hand for eventual support.

Walrein;

Timid nature @ Leftovers
252 spd, 252 sp.atk, 6 def

Surf
Stockpile/Super Fang
Ice Beam/Blizzard
Aqua Ring

Surf and Ice beam (or Blizzard) would be it's stab attacks. Stockpile would help it be more of a wall, on the other hand Super fang might take away the need for it's attacks to be super effective. Now Aqua ring is there for the potential 3-time-heal it would get at the end of every turn.
Aqua Ring -1
Left overs - 2
Ice Body -3

Abomasnow;

Adamant Nature @ Occa berry
252 speed, 252 atk. 6 hp

Protect
Seed Bomb
Rock Slide
Ice Punch

A psysical attacker, and main caretaker of Hail. Has Protect for eventual explosion or something.....

Ninetales;

Modest Nature @ passho berry
252 sp.atk, 252 spd, 6 hp

Role Play
Nasty Plot
Heat Wave
Energy Ball

Role play for the same reason as Espeon. Nasty plot and The two attacks for obvious reasons; Heat wave as a 2 pokemon hit stab attack, and Energy ball for disadvantage counter.

Froslass;

Calm Nature @ Light Ball
252 speed, 126 def, 126 sp.def, 6 hp

Icy Wind
Taunt
Fling
Pain Split

A speedy pokemon with a ice supported ability, Taunter, Fling pokemon for the Light ball and general supporter.

----------

Now this is just an other idea I've had;

Cloyster

Careful Nature @ Focus Sash
252 Speed, 252 Sp.def, 6 def

Explosion
Hail
Protect
Ice Shard

Hail set-up, and Explosion for a fast clean up, if used next to Abomasnow or Espeon with their protective moves. Or Froslass being a ghost type.

Is this any better. I know the Ev's are still screwed up in most cases, probably, but still.....any remarks?

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
Years

Well at least the presentation is better.

One thing that you don't have enough of on your team is Protect. Protect is probably the most important move ever in double battles and almost every Pokemon on your team should have it. Protect can do so many things. It allows you to scout for super-effective attacks that a opponent may have, it prevents you from getting KOed by Explosion, it buys you an extra turn so that your partner can attack, it lets you stall out the effects of weather/Trick Room, etc. Basically, it's an extremely valuable move.

Also a move you don't have enough of is Blizzard. If you're using a Hail team, Blizzard should be on every single Pokemon that can learn it. A 120 power Ice attack that's 100% accurate and hits both opponents with a chance of freezing is too good to pass up.

With that in mind, let's take a look at your Pokemon:

ESPEON

I don't get why it's even on your team. Espeon doesn't benefit from the Hail in any way and it's not a good doubles Pokemon either. Role Playing Snow Cloak/Ice Body is retarded. Espeon is too frail to make good use of Ice Body and Snow Cloak isn't a very good ability since it doesn't work all the time. This Pokemon is just plain useless.

A better choice would be Starmie. Starmie resists Steel, Fire, and Fighting and happens to learn Blizzard.

Starmie @Wacan Berry
Timid Nature
Natural Cure
6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

-Hydro Pump/Surf
-Blizzard
-Protect
-Thunderbolt/Psychic

GLACEON

If you have Abomasnow on your team, then what's the point of using Hail? Besides, Normal Hail only lasts 5 turns. Using it is just a waste of time.

Put Protect on there at least.

WALREIN

You say you want Walrein to be defensive, so why are you giving it an offensive EV spread? A Pokemon can't be a bulky wall and a speedy sweeper at the same time. Go with a Bold Nature, 252 HP EVs and 252 Defense EVs.

Again, Protect will help you out especially with all the healing you'll get.

ABOMASNOW

Okay, you don't want Abomasnow to be fast. You want it to be SLOW. Why? Because the slower Pokemon gets the weather advantage. If you lead with a fast Abomasnow and the opponent leads with a slower Tyranitar, Sandstream will override Snow Warning. But if you happen to be slower than the Tyranitar, your Snow Warning will override Sandstream.

So make its moveset look something like this:

Abomasnow @Occa Berry
Quiet Nature
252 HP / 252 SAtk / 6 Def

-Blizzard
-Protect
-Ice Shard
-Energy Ball/Grass Knot

NINETALES

Using a Fire type is a good idea because Steel types will rape you otherwise. However, Ninetales is a crappy Pokemon. There are much better Fire types out there:

Infernape @Life Orb
Naive Nature

-Heat Wave
-Fake Out
-Protect
-Close Combat

Heatran @Life Orb
Naive Nature

-Heat Wave
-Protect
-Earth Power
-Explosion

Infernape is fast but frail, while Heatran is slower but more defensive. Infernape has the ever useful Fake Out while Heatran gets the super strong Explosion. Either way, both are way better than NineFAILS.

FROSLASS

If it's Speed you want, why are you using a Calm Nature? Froslass needs all the Speed she can get so go with Timid. Fling+Light Ball is a gimmick and won't help you in the long run. Plus, after you Fling, you'll have no item so what good is that? Use a Focus Sash instead. Give it 252 Special Attack EVs. Froslass isn't going to survive anything, so defensive EVs are useless.

Blizzard over Icy Wind, Protect over Fling, and Destiny Bond or Shadow Ball over Pain Split.

Xia

Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2023
Okay, just one question before I'll apply some changes to this team.

Is this part of the forum based on purely competitive batteling. and not on trying things out because you can in the pokemon games. I mean, I've had some fun idea's with Espeon and Ninetales, and you want me to replace them with something like Starmie and Infernape, which are used more because their just plain better. making them slightly or completely more overused.

I'll say this, I'm just one of those guys who wants to make teams using his imagination, and doesn't care if he loses more than he wins, if my teams win some times is good enough for me, you know. on the other hand, I do agree with the blizzard theory about it having the same effect as Thunder in rain, but still.

There are a lot of pokemon out there that didn't have a review from this board, from which the owners didn't look at existing pokemon movesets at all. I agree that I'm inexperienced and have to look through the guides of smogon. But I'm not striving for perfection.

Back