• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Imagining people as their avatars

Kairu

Pokemon Trainer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 9, 2008
I have a bad habit of doing that myself. I've been going for forums for over 6 years now and I always imagine people looking somewhat like their avatar. Most of the time, it's very far off.

ShadowofTime01

Pokemon Professor
Years
Yeah, i remember back when i was with United Forums, I imagined people to be like their avatars... and eventually most of them imagined that I was not a really person, but a living embodiment of an anime character. Although at times, i'm not too far off from how my avatar looks.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Actually I go more for the signatures, unless the person has the same avatar for months, and suddenly change it...
Nica helped me a lot about not caring about avatars, since she changes hers eight times per week XD

But, really, I have known a lot of people who care about the avatar: I once had a more girl-ish one and I was called "her" (despite the fact of having never changed the "male" from my profile O_o).

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2011
Its easy to base an opinion on someone from their avatar. So when someone changes theirs it can be a bit confusing.

L is awesome and think he is really similar to me- so I feel comfortable about using it XD

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
Years
I definitely associate people with their avatars, but imagining them as their avatar is a bit difficult; especially when the avatar doesn't depict a person. If the avatar was of a person, then perhaps yes, I'll remember and associate that person to them temporarily.

Signatures define a person more... but then again, there's very little imagining to do there in my opinion.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2013
I can't imagine someone AS their avatar, but, yes, I'll associate someone with an avatar I've seen them use. People probably couldn't say that about me because I pretty much change my theme at least twice a week. ~.o

Omega Saikon

The Highest Power
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 10, 2015
This happens to me a lot, associating people with their avatars. I guess everybody relates to me too. Hah.

Years
  • Seen Aug 30, 2021
Ah, yeah. I guess I am guilty of this sometimes, especially if I've never actually seen a picture of the person who posted. XD; If, for example, their avatar is of an anime character then I obviously know they don't look exactly like that... but I tend to assume things like their hair color and the like are similar.

That, or I'll think of the person every time I see a picture of the character. (Like Phoenix Wright = 100marios. XD I can't help it!)

Michii

as in Mishy
Years
Not really. I associate people with their personalities online though or how their design is. I see some of the people that do the &&___{ INSERT GOOEY MESSAGE HERE } .; things as either preps or wanabee preps (I admit I was that person once upon a time), I imagine the people who have a really good personality who everyone loves as pretty (or hot), and I see the messy people who talk lyke ths and have awful signatures as nerds. Haha not the best thing, but I can't help it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
This is one of the problems I have while talking online with other people xD

I will start to relate them with their avatars, and when they change it, I hardly ever notice them until I notice they changed it -_-;

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
oni, I see you like a Raichuu with one of those one-eyed glasses-like things and a black tophat o_O

I usually associate them with an image in their sig or avvy...... or a mixture of both! (as shown by Oni Raichu)

The Infinite Devil Machine

Obvious, with hindsight
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 23, 2020
It''s really not a good idea. XD Especially considering that some members have themes featuring characters of the other gender. \o/

ShadowofTime01

Pokemon Professor
Years
Haha, but that's why we have the Gender stat right above our post count right? I honestly think my avatar reflects who I am, and usually people's avatars and sigs reflect a part of themselves, so it might not be a bad idea to associate them with the person because they want that part of themselves to be seen.

Goatman56

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
Uhhh, nope. I usually try to go by posts, see what they type, how it sounds to me. Then I just try and imagine what they look like.

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
I hope people imagine me as a Jynx.<3 I don't really do it myself. Even though sometimes I don't recognize people when they change their theme.

Back