• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Male or Female?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Not True. We got the all mighty and powerful Pancham Hat while you peeps get a dress or something

I'd still say the females have much better options. I haven't used the male, but I've looked up their clothing options and it just does not seem as diverse and fun as the females'. I never play as the male anyway, and I will probably always choose to play as my own gender (female) in X & Y since I'm not missing much in opting out of ever being the male.

The Pancham hat is cool, but doesn't make up for it, in my opinion. Was still rather disappointed I couldn't get it. :(

I lol'd when I first put that Slurpuff dress on, but I was kinda disappointed with both the Pancham hat and the Slurpuff dress. I was hoping for something better.

And while females have the superior selection of clothes, its missing one important thing (important to me anyway): a black/dark gray fedora.

You can get a red fedora, a brown fedora, a green fedora, a yellow fedora, a lavender fedora, and a white fedora. But no black/dark gray one. Why? Why, when there's all those other colors, and I swear that the guys get a black/dark gray fedora. The thing is, I have a black (or maybe its dark gray, I can never tell the difference) fedora I like to wear irl (when its not freezing cold outside), and it'd be cool to wear one in the game.

At least I have that green one...

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I picked the female because I preferred her character design and clothing/hairstyle options. I named her Scarlett because it is a girl name meaning red, and what other way to kick off the 3DS generation of Pokemon by being Red...?

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
On my Y playthrough, I picked a female, because I vastly preferred her design over the male's. It was also a plus that females had more variety in clothing options. Anyways, I named my character Arcaia, with the nickname of Ar. If I do plan to restart my game, I'd still pick female again. on my x file, I have a male though.

Colress Machine

The Colress Machine broke...
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 16, 2019
Male the first time around, since I tend to like the design of the male protagonists over the female's in Pokémon games.
Second time I chose the female character and customized her hair and looks more because I didn't really change anything with the male character besides his clothing.

Last edited:
Years
I pick the girl, because surprise I am a girl.

My X trainer's in-game name is Nichole (my real name duh) and I barely customize her a lot outside of clothing probably because I love her default appearance so much. It's always been a tradition for me playing as the girl trainer on my main version, and I ain't stopping it anytime soon.

soreninja

Dat Tongue Scarf tho...
Years
I picked male, but when I'm going to buy pokemon Y, I will choose female because it has a variety of clothes, and I always wanted to customize my "soul mate" XD

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Male, I always pick male for my first play through of a generation. I'm playing as myself, so that makes sense.

I'll most likely play as a female for the sequel. I tend to create a persona for sequel/third games.

Last edited:

PokeGeisha

Breeder and CompetitiveTrainer
Years
I chose female. I always choose my gender lol. I don't really like giving people mixed signals from my past experiences in the MMORPG world.But if its one of my favorite games I won't care like Sora or Cloud!

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
Years
I've gone with female since it was an option and I remember being sad I couldn't be female in gen1. This time I went with Goo because it's just easier when the name people call you is your OT name.

RiverStyxx

- Vaporeon Rules The Styxx! -
Years
I love the female characters on all the games and always played them, though I am a male in real life! The way I see it I would rather stare at a females backside for hours instead of a males :)

Styxx OUT! :)

Years
For my X playthrough, I played as the female character because majority of the time when I have the choice, I'll always choose to play as my actual gender. Nicknamed her Milly, short for her real name Milouette :3 To be honest, I probably won't ever restart my game, but I would be interested in playing as the male the second time through to experience any similarities/differences myself, if any.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Ever since I saw the male trainer for X/Y, I loved his design and knew I'd be playing as him. It also helps that he's blond and wandering around Pokemon!France, which reminds me of Takeru Takaishi from Digimon Adventure/02. But I named the character in X/Y Michael because St. Michael is one of my favorite saints, and went with the standard nickname of "Mike."

X/Y, no matter what, will always be played using Michael...wearing green. It's weird to start a new game and see him in blue.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I play as the girl because I always play as the girl when given a choice, and because they typically have better designs. I named her "Lisa" as that's my go-to name. "Queen Lisa" is the "nickname" that i gave to the "Four Stooges" (the "rivals") so they can have fun bowing at my feet and acknowledging me as their queen every time they show up :P

Although when I restart in X (Y's my main game) I might experiment with something like "JLVWNNOOOO" as the nickname.

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 22, 2015
I picked Male first, but I started my newest playthrough as Serena to see the customization options. I gotta say, she has much better taste than the Male character XD

Years
Female named Janna because that's my real name. I always go with females since I prefer playing as my gender.. and customizing the girl characters usually tends to be more fun. :-D

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
I always go with female, except I chose male once in gen V.

The male is pretty plain-looking imo, and the clothes are also kind of lacking. D:
I don't know why, but I never go with my own name in Pokemon games. :P I chose Mio, and my nickname is Li'l Mio. :D

Back