• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

XY Rain Team

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 22, 2013
Okay, after researching more and receiving feedback from various forums, I have decided to go with this Rain Team. Please give me constructive criticism to help me improve. This is for Pokemon XY.
I'm still searching for a Politoed with Drizzle....I hope Dream World comes out soon.
No Keldeo in XY :'(

Politoed- Leftovers (Hard to find many of in XY ^^") ,Drizzle, Bold
Scald
Protect
Toxic
Ice Beam

Toxicroak- Life Orb, Dry Skin, Adamant/Jolly
Swords Dance
Drain Punch
Sucker Punch
Ice Punch

Gliscor- Toxic Orb, Toxic Heal, Impish
Substitute
Toxic
Roost/Protect
Earthquake

Ferrothorn- Leftovers, Iron Barbs, Relaxed
Stealth Rock
Leech Seed
Power Whip
Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave

Scizor- Choice Band, Technician, Adamant
U-turn
Bullet Punch
Super Power
Pursuit

Dragonite- Life Orb, Multiscale, Mild
Hurricane
Thunder
Earthquake
Roost

Please tell me any good changes I should make :-) Thank you very much!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 26, 2013
I run a rain team too, I love it! Two things that popped up right away to me was that you don't have any rain dancers besides politoed , and you also don't have a damp rock on the politoed (rain turns increase from 5 turns to 8 turns)
Here is my team:

Politoed-Sassy-Drizzle-Damp Rock
Ice beam
Surf
Protect
Earthquake
To me politoed takes hits pretty well, I purposely made mine slow so I can get up my rain after Tyrantitar. Earthquake helps hit electric types, and with protect try not to stall out your rain turns.

Kabutops(Insanely good sweeper)-Adamant-Swift Swim (doubles speed in rain)-Life Orb
Waterfall
Stone Edge
Swords Dance
Aqua Jet (If you set up a +2SD barely anything stays alive [Even w/o rain])
Kabutops is a monster, If you let him set up it is going to hurt... Badly. With one SD + rain You could OHKO mostly anything. Aqua Jet is nice if the rain fades and you had time to set up. When ever talon flame is sent out, send out kabutops... He walls it like none other (just set up SD when talon flame is out... The other trainer will eventually get the point and switch).

Kingdra(Sweeper #2)-Modest-Swift Swim-Left Overs
Waterfall
Hydro Pump
Draco Meteor
Rain Dance
Kingdra is a very reliable sweeper, it takes hits pretty well and can be really annoying with swift swim.

Milotic(Wall)-Bold-Marvel Scale- Flame Orb
Hypnosis/Ice Beam
Scald
Recover
Mirror Coat
With marvel scale when Milotic gets a status condition it raises its def by 1.5x (Def: 118.5 SDef: 125) With recover this thing is an amazing wall. Also you can may want ice beam over hypnosis just for the variety.

Garchomp(Sweeper+Electricity Counter)-Adamant-Rough Skin- Dragon Fang
Poison Jab
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Rain Dance
I would recommend Poison jab for anti-fairy types and anti-grass. Garchomp is an all around reliable pokemon, he can take hits and deal some damage.

Mega Gardevoir(Insanely awesome coverage + Decent Sweeper)-Modest-Trace-Gardevoirite
Focus Blast
Psychic
Moonblast
Thunderbolt
Mega Gardevoir is insanely good, when you get that speed boost from the mega it becomes a serious threat. This set provides amazing type coverage, but be careful about switching it in, it has pretty bad def.

Hope this helped!

I also considered:

Zebstrika (Sap sipper/HA)
He can't get paralyzed and grass moves will increase his attack (no damage will be taken)

Tentacruel (Clear Body)
Have him with rapid spin, the clear body helps by not lowering speed with sticky web

Electivire (motor Drive)
This is just nice because it resists electric, but he has crap def

Goodra (Sap Sipper)
He has amazing Sdef and wont take damage from grass moves.

Swana
Just incase you couldn't get rain up, you can use tail wind. Also You wont get hit by ground types

Omistar (swift Swim)
SAtk sweeper

Swasbuck (Sap Sipper)
No damage from grass, resistance to electricity, and it has aromatherapy. Also You can switch this into ghost attacks

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
EVs are an important part of competitive battling, btw. So please post your Pokemon's EVs as well. Or did you not EV train them?

But from what you have posted, I have a few things to say:

1) Politoed should hold a Damp Rock. Since weather got cut from infinite turns to 5 turns, Damp Rock increases the number of turns it rains from 5 to 8. And since this is a rain team, the longer its raining, the better.
2) Black Sludge is a little better for Toxicroak than Life Orb. It'll have enough power after a Swords Dance, and since its a bit frail, the extra healing is nice. Dry Skin+Black Sludge heals 3/16, or 18% of its HP per turn.
3) The PokeBank is out (in Japan anyway), so you may be able to get a Keldeo. Check the GTS or something.
4) Scald is fine on Politoed, but you could also consider Hydro Pump on it. STAB Hydro Pump in the rain can be pretty powerful.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Personally, I wouldn't have Gliscor on a rain team because, well, if the opponent manages to send out a water-type (or any other Pokémon that knows water moves), then Gliscor could be taken down in an instant. I know that you're using a defensive set, but still. Instead, I would have it replaced with Breloom. One of its main weaknesses is fire, but thanks to rain, damage taken by these type of attacks would be halved. For moveset, you should probably choose Spore, Substitute, Seed Bomb, and Focus Punch. For EVs, try 12 HP, 252 Atk, and 244 Spe. As for nature, go with Adamant. Also, make sure that it's got Poison Heal ability and is holding onto a Toxic Orb. If you're not a fan of Breloom, for whatever reason, then you should use an electric Pokémon such as either Zapdos, Jolteon, or Thundurus-T. In my opinion, these are three of the best electric-types in OU metagame. [:

Back