• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] A Smell of Petroleum Pervades Throughout

Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2018
We need to speak to Lugia or kill it, I know what your thinking but this thing is in such torment it will make sea travel impossible we need to help it one way or another. Also keep the dead unknown maybe some exposure to the forest shrine later could bring them back to life, Loot (well not loot more like pack up) Elms Lab it's bound to have some useful survival gear and technology

Years
I've just made it from start to current in one sitting - it's 6:00 am. I want to say that I never liked 'choose your own ending' books but this is awesome. I think I can - without any arrogance - say that I'm a seasoned reader of fanfiction and that this is just brilliant work. I applaud you.

But enough compliments, on with the game -

How far away can the pokedex work from? Can you safely scan Lugia?
Also, does Elm have spare shoes?

Last edited:

Cutlerine

Gone. May or may not return.
Years
> Before actually leaving, search for your remaining items which you have not yet re-obtained. They'll probably come in handy later. Also, try to gather up other loot from the remaining caves. Since there's no chance of defeating or catching Eldritch Lugia (right?) don't bother with it. Try to find something not-particularly-flammable in case you need to carry Vesta around, like a large rock maybe.

You tell Elm and Vesta what you're up to, head back upstairs and search around. You do find a large rock, but it's too heavy for you to carry and nothing smaller will take Vesta in her new size. Other than that, you don't have the best of luck; it seems that the storm was mostly a convenient device for ridding you of your more useless items. All you find is a very soggy Lava Cookie.

Othodox found one Sodden Lava Cookie! Othodox put the Sodden Lava Cookie in the Pouch.

> The Narrator wouldn't have brought Lugia down here if not to have him be relevant in some way to the immediate plot. Be prepared for any eventuality. Also, on the subject of letters, and as you have perfect recall, ask about some of the names that were scrambled before the Poke Radar was fixed to see if they have any relevance.

The Narrator was not aware that he had brought Lugia anywhere. This is where Lugia is normally found, after all. If anything, he brought Othodox down here to find Elm.

You seriously doubt that Elm can help you with this particular anagram. The Radar Mode's output text was not scrambled word by word, or you would have been able to work it out yourself; the whole lot was lumped together, scrambled and then broken up into sentences. In the spirit of honesty, the Narrator feels it is incumbent on him to tell you that he did this so that you would never, ever be able to unscramble it coherently.

You're welcome.

> How far away can the pokedex work from? Can you safely scan Lugia?
Also, does Elm have spare shoes?

"Do you have any shoes?" you ask Elm. "I don't have any."

Elm shakes his head.

"No," he replies. "I don't. Not unless you can find the bodies of the ones that didn't make it and take theirs, and I have no idea where the Pokémon took them."

Neither do you; in fact, given that they will by now probably be little more than mildewed skeletons, you have no real desire to find out where they might be.

"All right," you say slowly. "Do you know what the effective range on this radar is?"

"Without the little tracking dish broken? It works in terms of whole areas – the whole of the floor you're on in a cave, the whole of a Route you're on, the whole of a town you're in. In terms of maps, if you like."

"And with the little dish broken?"

Elm shrugs.

"No clue. Why? Are you thinking of scanning Lugia?"

"Well, yes."

"Well, it said just now when you tried it that there was an Eldritch Lugia around, so I'm guessing it's in range from here," says Elm.

God damn it, the man is maddeningly logical. You should have realised that yourself.

"All right," you say. "Thanks."

What are you doing? Vesta asks as you rise.

"I'm going out for a bit," you say. "Don't..." You bite your lip; should you take Vesta or not? You don't think she would be much use against Lugia if it turns nasty. In fact, you think that perhaps you'd just be risking her life unnecessarily, and decide to leave her. "Stay here," you say, as brightly as you can. "I'll be back in a minute."

OK, she says happily. Can you bring more seaweed?

"Sure."

Thank you!

You and Elm exchange glances.

"Don't do anything stupid," he says in a low voice, taking you to one side.

"I'm going to do something very stupid," you reply, equally quietly.

He sighs.

"For Christ's sake, come back alive. You've got me all excited about heading to the surface now. And if you don't, I'll be left with a heartbroken bonfire – and how the hell do you expect me to deal with that?"

"All right, all right," you say, making placatory gestures. "Relax. I'll be back in a minute."

"You'd better be," Elm mutters darkly, but he says no more, and lets you past.

You head outside, and make your way down the maze of ravines towards the great cavern at the end, in whose depths you can just make out the faintest of white shapes. Lugia is very far away, you realise. It will know you are coming; it will hear your mind, and hear you splashing through the water – all the area before you is flooded to an uncertain depth, the water rippling softly to the tune of some unknown tide. A soft susurrus of sighing waves permeates everything.

You take a deep breath, raise the Pokédex, and thumb the scan button.

LUGIA
The Diving Pokémon

The subject of intense scientific speculation, Lugia (
Procellapter lugia) is a reclusive and extremely rare oceanic carnivore. Little is known for certain of it or the full extent of its abilities; what is known of it is that it figures prominently in many of the more ancient legends of the Johtonian tribes as a sea deity, representing at once the fury of an ocean storm and dominion over that fury. In some tales, Lugia whips up tremendous storms by beating its wings; in others, it stills them by the same means. According to the only scientific study of the creature extant (Mortensen, 1887), it does in fact appear to possess this ability.

Lugia is presumed by most mainstream Pokézoologists to be an offshoot of the therizinosaur family of dinosaurs, adapting itself both to a more carnivorous diet and to life under the ocean. This course of evolution must have been taken in relative isolation; Lugia occupies an entire taxonomic order on its own. Fragmentary fossil remains from the Late Cretaceous show that some form of aquatic therizinosaur may have existed then, but the remains are inconclusive.

Reports that it can fly have been as yet unsubstantiated; its 'wings' appear, from Mortensen's reports and those images of it that are consistent with eyewitness accounts, to be more adapted for swimming than flight, and even show vestiges of the hands that they once were.

If Lugia is not extinct – and no specimens have been sighted since Mortensen's study in 1887 – then it must be extremely rare; in his 2002 paper in Nature, Elm suggests it may have declined with the whale stocks around Johto, and posits a predator/prey relationship between the two.

The Pokédex also says that it's registered a new Form – the Eldritch Form of Lugia.

> We need to speak to Lugia or kill it, I know what your thinking but this thing is in such torment it will make sea travel impossible we need to help it one way or another. Also keep the dead unknown maybe some exposure to the forest shrine later could bring them back to life, Loot (well not loot more like pack up) Elms Lab it's bound to have some useful survival gear and technology

You were already planning on keeping the dead Unown; you keep pretty much everything unless the Narrator takes it away with a violent storm. And you're pretty sure Elm will pack up his stuff by the time you are back, in order to keep the plot running apace.

All that's left for you is to step into the water and go on down the tunnel to Lugia.

You put the Pokédex away, and probe the water with one foot. It doesn't seem too deep, but the ground beneath is sloping; you don't know how deep it goes.

With the air of a condemned criminal walking to the gallows, you step into the icy water and begin to wade.

The water reaches your knees fairly quickly and stays there, as if reluctant to crawl any higher. You are acutely aware of the loud sloshing noises you make with every step; Lugia must know you're here by now. Hell, everything in the cave network must know you're here – it's so loud, you think, that it could probably be heard far away in space...

You are heading deeper into the dark now, and you can barely see your hands in front of your face. The water is imperceptibly higher; you can't see it, but you know it is because you can feel the chill more than before – or is that fear? You aren't sure.

You keep walking.

Water, you think, clawing at any topic you can to take your mind away from the dark and the cold and what you can see up ahead. Water – everything is connected to the water. This began with a Water-type, and the monsters seem to be connected to a city under the water, and now you're wading through water towards...

Well.

It would be better not to say.

They say we know less about the ocean depths than we do about outer space, you recall, and you wonder how we could ever stand having all that unknown mystery lurking so close to the door, all those unimagined horrors so close to hand; people pondered the possibility of aliens in the blackness of space, but they should have been worrying about the other abyss, the one closer to home – the one from which all the nightmares anyone could ever want could crawl at any moment...

The water is up to your waist now, and it's a little warmer. You preferred it when it was cold: it focused your mind more, and this warmth reminds you unpleasantly of blood.

It's quite close now, the creature at the other end of the tunnel. It's big, bigger than anything you've ever seen, and it is watching you with eyes that you can't meet – that no one could ever meet.

You don't know how you can see it so clearly, when it's so dark you can't even see yourself, but you wish with all your heart that you couldn't.

You stop. Not because you want to – although you do – but because it wants you to, and you can't ignore what it wants.

It knows what you want.

You want help, you realise, or to help it – you want something, but even you're not sure what it is.

You are saving the world, it knows – for it knows everything you know, and everything else as well – and it wants you to do so.

It wants to go back.

Or is that you?

No, it's both. You both want to go back. You think.

There is not much it can do to change things. It is too big to leave the chamber now, too strong to die, paralysed by its exploded mind.

But still.

If you can change things, if you can turn them back—

If you save the world, it will come, and do what it can.

And then, somehow, you're climbing out of the water onto the rocks, and staggering dazedly back to Elm's lab, where you flop down on one of the chairs and try to massage some sense back into your head.

Are you OK? asks Vesta, not caring that you forgot her seaweed. Othodox...

"He's fine, I think," says Elm, examining you with a critical eye. "Did... did it speak to you?"

"I think so," you answer, and your voice surprises you: you had forgotten that you could speak with words. Lugia's talking, the language that transcends words, images, even thoughts, the language that works by bringing the sparking cores of two souls together in one heart, seems to be the logical way of doing things – but now, you realise, you can't remember how it was done. "Y-yeah," you go on, feeling dizzy. "Elm... Lugia's intelligent, right?"

"It's said it could communicate telepathically," Elm says. "On the same intellectual level as a man."

You nod slowly. Lugia has gone beyond man – beyond telepathy. It's barely contained by reality, whatever it is; you have an idea that it has gone mad in a way that only those whose minds have exceeded the limitations of the universe can. It knows it's mad, it tries to contain its madness – but at the same time, it can't come to terms with whatever it is that its own mind has become.

None of that makes sense to you, but it almost does, and in Lugia's terms, that is probably enough.

Years
  • Seen Aug 21, 2014
Take a few more minutes to wrap your head around the situation, then do an inventory (both yours and Elm's, if they're separate) and ceiling check. If the inventories are separate, make sure to ask Elm before you check his, and only check if he says it's okay.

(Just wanted to say that the story's been really interesting so far, and I love how the characters introduced so far have been portrayed. Even if I haven't read any of the book-based material plot-wise...lack of the books at my library.
Oh, and I'm going to try to figure out the scrambled Radar entries. Judging by your "hint" in the last voice-listening session, I have an idea of how to solve them. Also, may I ask you a question about one of the entries via PM, and possibly get corrections to my attempts to solve the entries through PM as well?)

Years
  • Seen May 12, 2021
Be grateful that Lugia didnt brutally destroy you. After a quick prayer to Tabiti for luck, a quiet one so Elm doesnt hear you, begin your ascent.

StinkomanFan

The Thing with Questionable Taste
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 3, 2015
Also, your dress. Check to see if it's still in good condition.

Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2018
I don't think there's anything left to do in here so...Get to the Chopper!

Cutlerine

Years
> Won't Vesta shrink a bit if you give her less fuel? Could you put her in a pouch of adamantine spider silk since it's not flammable? maybe put some seaweed in too?

She's already shrinking nicely, since you forgot her seaweed. And while you can't really make a pouch, you can sort of scrunch the silk up into a kind of... well, to be brutally honest it's a mess, but you should be able to tie one end around your shoulders and have Vesta hang down at your side. Just be careful when you put your hands in your pockets.

On second thoughts, perhaps there are some things you shouldn't joke about.

Othodox crafted one Tangle of Fireproof Webbing! Othodox arranged the Tangle of Fireproof Webbing around his shoulders.

You glance at Elm.

"You ready?" you ask. He has packed his stuff away into a Bag similar to the one you used to have, only it's made of some special rugged material that will survive long after both of you are dead.

"As ready as I'll ever be," he says.

You have created a party!

Professor Elm joined the party!

Vesta joined the party!

Othodox became the party leader!

Hm. This is not a mechanic you remember existing before the Dreaming. Perhaps there's a help module that can offer more information.

> Take a few more minutes to wrap your head around the situation, then do an inventory (both yours and Elm's, if they're separate) and ceiling check. If the inventories are separate, make sure to ask Elm before you check his, and only check if he says it's okay.

Othodox's Inventory:

Elm's Key x1
Hideously Dangerous Stabby Thing x1
Highly Persuasive Handgun x1
Large European Eel x4
Loaded Portable Spratchery (Two Shots) x1
MooMoo Milk x2
Rocks x12
Sodden Lava Cookie x1
Sturdy Scale x3

Elm's Inventory:

Cutlery Set x6
Cooking Pot x2
Empty Bottle x4
Fibreglass Rock Wall x1
Folding Chair x10
Fuel Cell (Full) x2
Fuel Cell (Half Depleted) x1
Laptop x3
LED Cluster x12
Limpet x52
Master Ball x2
Portable Generator x1
'Tea' Flask x7
Water Bottle x3
Water Purification Unit x1

Vesta's Inventory:

BURGEONING ELOQUENCE x1
Flaming Seaweed x14
RAVENING HUNGER x1
Smoke x∞
UNDYING LOYALTY x1

Vesta's property is mainly abstract, but since they're listed in her inventory, you could probably take those abstracts from her. Although I don't recommend taking away the UNDYING LOYALTY if you value the finer things in life. And by 'the finer things in life' I mean 'not being on fire'.

> Also, your dress. Check to see if it's still in good condition.

If any of the rags of it have survived, you lost them in the storm. You changed out of it a long time ago, back in Olivine.

Damn it. Perhaps Lugia messed with your head more than you thought. You at least hoped you still knew what you were wearing.

> Be grateful that Lugia didnt brutally destroy you. After a quick prayer to Tabiti for luck, a quiet one so Elm doesnt hear you, begin your ascent.

Astonishingly, you're already grateful enough without being told. On account of it actually happening to you.

Funny how these voices seem not to notice details like that, isn't it? Almost as if they don't regard you as a real person.

You mutter a brief prayer to Tabiti, and in doing so indirectly remind her that you've been keeping busy with the whole 'defending the sacred fire' thing recently. Hauling a bonfire through a sea cave isn't exactly easy; anyone who goes to such lengths must be pretty devoted.

Othodox's Devotion has increased!

Othodox is a Priest Sheathed in a Glorious Flame!

> I don't think there's anything left to do in here so...Get to the Chopper!

You nod at Elm, and the pair of you begin to retrace your steps. Soon, however, Elm takes a turn that you never noticed before, and then works his way through a series of tight twists and curves so quickly that you actually begin to feel dizzy.

"We're still on the lowest level," says Elm, moving swiftly on ahead of you with practised ease. "I travel along these tunnels all the time to get to the good tidal pools, where most of the edible weeds and molluscs are. But to get back up, we'll need to go up through here."

He points at a side passage that yawns blackly to the left.

Neither of you move towards it.

Are we going? asks Vesta, apparently unconcerned.

"I'm going first, aren't I?" you say. It isn't a question.

"Of course," replies Elm. "You're the one with the weapons. I'll direct you from behind."

"Great," you mutter, and step into the passage before you can convince yourself not to.

The walls glisten with beads of water and crystals of salt in the soft glow of Vesta's flames; you draw your Highly Persuasive Handgun and keep it ready, taking comfort in the solid weight of the implausible machine in your hand.

You walk through the dark, and everything is so quiet that you jump and nearly shoot your foot off when Elm whispers:

"Take a right here."

You take it, and now you really feel the ground sloping upwards beneath you; you're higher up already, you can feel it. Soon, you emerge into a large cavern, featureless save for the black water in its centre, and Elm motions frantically for you to stay still.

"Don't make a sound," he mouths desperately. "This is where the others were taken."

You glance around uneasily, but see nothing out of the ordinary; Elm shakes his head and points up. You follow his finger, and see—

—a ceiling of gently rustling skin and bone, of gently flexing fingers and tufts of fur.

You look back down again. That doesn't help: it just means that you notice that the rocks here are not in fact white, but merely covered in a thick crust of guano. A snippet of information comes to mind – mining for guano is highly damaging to bat populations, due to the fact that they die of stress easily when their roost is repeatedly invaded – but that doesn't seem to hold true for the Zubat and Golbat up above. Even before they turned Eldritch, you strongly suspect they would sooner eat a guano miner than be scared off by them.

Given that Golbat has the largest gape of any animal of its size, you're actually certain they would sooner eat a miner than be scared by them.

"OK," you mouth back to Elm. "Where do we need to get to?"

He points across the cave, and you see a dim and distant tunnel mouth through the gloom.

You nod, and give your lions a sound mental girding.

Then you begin to creep.

You've done your share of sneaking over the past few days. You've crept through houses as you looted, ever-aware of what could be lurking behind corners; you've slid near-silently across Mr. Pokémon's ruined floor. You've hid and dodged and run.

But never have you been up against so many opponents, or ones with such good hearing, and you're almost convinced that they can hear the very beads of sweat as they pop into existence on your forehead, or the thudding of your heart in your chest...

They let you get halfway across the cave before they confirm your suspicions and show you that they can.

You are standing near the edge of the great pool of seawater when the first bat peels away from the roof. You barely have time to blink before the air is full of them, all awake, all screeching, all diving

Othodox used Flash Cannon!

The searing light cuts a giant swathe through the swarm, and hundreds of foul bodies burst into petrol-stinking shreds of dried flesh and leather; the remaining bats bunch up closer, retreating for a moment, waiting to see if you'll strike again and you and Elm are running, all thoughts of subtlety gone from your heads, and the great bluish cloud is coming down at you again, shedding teeth, claws, fur, excrement like the shambling undead in a horror movie, and you don't have time to turn and shoot or to get your sting out but the passage is so far away still and you can feel claws digging into your shirt and teeth in your arms—

Boom.

The great bats pull away, shrieking like broken train-whistles, and flap over to the lake; you turn to see what happened, moving despite yourself, and you trip and fall, Elm tumbling over you onto the floor. The guano breaks beneath you, cracking like dried mud, but you don't notice: your eyes are locked on the mighty head protruding from the lake, the huge sleek white-furred cone of flesh whose ponderous jaws snapped shut a few moments ago and created that colossal noise. The Golbat are slashing at it with their claws, the Zubat are screaming out odd ripples in the air – but the Eldritch Dewgong, its mouth full of their comrades, doesn't seem to feel it; it sinks, slowly and gracefully, back down under the water, en route to its resting place to chew at its leisure.

The bats strike angrily at the water for a moment, so many gathered together that the lake actually disappears under the purple leather of their wings, and then, their numbers thinned but still enormous, rise up again and look towards you—

Elm grabs your shoulder, and you get up and sprint.

Again the bats are coming, and they are so much faster than you and you know there are too many to shoot – but the tunnel mouth is right here, and you've flung yourself in, smashing your shoulder painfully into the wall but you don't care—

—and the bats are spewing into the little space with you, and there really is only one thing you can do and that is to throw Vesta.

Nothing survives.

The Golbat, the Zubat, any little organisms that might have been feeding on the guano – nothing on land or in the air in the cave from which you've come had a snowflake's chance in hell.

You realise, with a certain sense of incredulity, that you knew that bat guano was pretty flammable. They used to use it in gunpowder.

And equally, you know what sort of a fire Vesta is. She has a RAVENING HUNGER, after all.

You and Elm are completely blinded for a while, so bright is the green glow from the bat cave; then you are deafened, too, by shrieks and screams so piercing that your ears bleed and something in your nose hurts; you both scrabble on all fours away down the passage, bits of bat stinking and burning and falling all around you, petrol and ash and musk fighting in your nose and incredible heat at your back.

Then there is nothing but darkness and silence.

A while later – who knows how long? You have no way to measure it – your vision returns, and your hearing. You get unsteadily to your feet, and squint down at Elm, a supine shape dimly visible in the dark. He seems OK, as far as you can see.

The other direction, then. The way you came from.

There's light coming from that way – green and red. The stone of the cave floor is glowing orange on its surface, superheated by supernatural fire; what bits of bat remain are crisping and burning to nothing on the stone floor. The lake has boiled away, revealing a deep, salt-crusted tunnel where it once was; overall, the cave looks cleaner than it probably ever has done. There is nothing left in it at all save hot rock and, near the entrance, a small pocket of green flames wrapped up in a bundle of white silk.

You poke the Tangle of Fireproof Webbing tentatively. It doesn't appear to have taken up any heat at all. The inside of it is probably hot enough to boil granite, but that's all right, since only Vesta has to touch that.

Did I do OK? she asks.

You stare. Try to answer. Cough.

"Yeah," you say after a while, spitting dust. "Yeah, that was... that was good. Really good."

Good good, she says happily. Shall we keep going?

"Yeah," croaks Elm hoarsely from behind you. "Let's do that."

You put the Tangle of Fireproof Webbing back on and plunge back into the tunnels. It's a while before you can think clearly again, but when you can, you realise that you're actually quite near the surface now, and nothing else has attacked you. Presumably, you think, the total destruction of a couple of thousand mutant bats taught any other Pokémon hanging around that you and your fire are a pair of real mean motor scooters.

You resolve never to call yourself a real mean motor scooter ever again. It worked for Seth Gecko, but it most definitely does not work for you.

While you're in the middle of this sobering realisation, you round the corner and are instantly blinded all over again: the sun is shining ferociously out here, and it's reflecting off the sea with almost as much power. You feel like an ant that's wandered too close to a Charmander's tail.

Elm lets out a wild, incoherent yell of delight and jumps for joy; strong winds and a lack of practice mean that he doesn't land on his feet, but he doesn't mind, and scrambles back upright with a grin on his face.

"God!" he cries. "I'd forgotten how good it feels!"

You smile back and look around. You seem to be on the most westerly of the Whirl Islands, which is also the tallest; you are standing near its peak, atop a crag that overlooks the others. You can see Cianwood to the south, and if the top of the hill weren't in the way, you could probably see Olivine to the north.

And right beside you, as unaffected by the passage of time as any building you've seen so far, is a large helicopter.

To the south is the path to the beach.

There is a cave here.

There is a helicopter here.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Wow, we haven't had any action that intense for a while! :3

Anyway, check your surroundings for any signs of danger. Use the scanner if you need to.

Then, if the coast is clear, check and see if you and Elm are hungry. Vesta already ate, if it could consider what it did back then as eating anyway.
If either of the two of you are, then cook some eels. Try not to let Vesta overcook it...wait, Elm has a cooking pot. Use it to cook.

While eating, try and think if checking the beach would be a good idea. There might be items there, or not. Ask your party about it. You are the team leader, after all.

And oh, do you or Elm know how to operate a helicopter? o.0

Years
  • Seen Aug 21, 2014
Check around and in the helicopter for any items of interest. And one more rock, while you're at it.

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
Check out the cave , in order to find something that could be useful. And eat if you are hungry ( cook those eels ) .Then check the helicopter

Years
Ask Tabiti for access to the help module. Or ask the Narrator.
Ask Elm how effective he thinks the masterballs are against Eldritch Pokemon. Will they tame one? Will they not decay like the lesser balls do? If you could throw one of his master balls at the eldritch quilava the next time you see it (and not throw it into the flames of his back) that would solve a LOT of problems (assuming you succeed in getting back to the mainland). What if you catch it in a masterball and keep that masterball in a pokeball? Would that slow down the decay?

Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2018
See if the new team function creates new features like team skills or something like that, like maybe Elm has a skill like Analysis tells you weaknesses of Eldritch Creatures, and maybe you have something like Attarct Danger/Plot point that continues the story by scaring the wiz out of you or getting your but kicked, but if not just go to the chopper and get out of here.

Years
  • Seen May 12, 2021
The beach wouldnt be there if not for some event to happen, so I suggest searching the beach thoroughly before you leave. You dont know when you might be back and you dont know what could be down there. But be wary. Youre under constant threat of attack from both the ocean and the beach, so have Vesta be ready.

Cutlerine

Years
> Wow, we haven't had any action that intense for a while! :3
Anyway, check your surroundings for any signs of danger. Use the scanner if you need to.
Then, if the coast is clear, check and see if you and Elm are hungry. Vesta already ate, if it could consider what it did back then as eating anyway.
If either of the two of you are, then cook some eels. Try not to let Vesta overcook it...wait, Elm has a cooking pot. Use it to cook.
While eating, try and think if checking the beach would be a good idea. There might be items there, or not. Ask your party about it. You are the team leader, after all.
And oh, do you or Elm know how to operate a helicopter? o.0

Nom nom nom. Eels.

You hope Elm knows how to operate a helicopter, or you came a long way for nothing.

> Check out the cave , in order to find something that could be useful. And eat if you are hungry ( cook those eels ) .Then check the helicopter

You enter the cave and investigate. It looks somewhat familiar; a moment later, you realise that it is, in fact, the cave that you just came out of, and retreat, feeling more than a little foolish.

> Check around and in the helicopter for any items of interest. And one more rock, while you're at it.

Othodox found one Rock! Othodox put the Rock in the Pouch.

The helicopter itself contains several dozen tins of imperishable foodstuffs, packed in crates; some tools that are presumably only useful if the helicopter stops working and needs to be fixed; a big tank of kerosene for the return flight; and, fortuitously and a little bizarrely, a shaving kit that Elm forgot when he came here several years ago.

He takes this and immediately avails himself of it. Feeling that you might as well gain by it, you avail yourself of some goods, too.

Othodox found some Beard Hairs! Othodox put the Beard Hairs in the Pouch.

> The beach wouldnt be there if not for some event to happen, so I suggest searching the beach thoroughly before you leave. You dont know when you might be back and you dont know what could be down there. But be wary. Youre under constant threat of attack from both the ocean and the beach, so have Vesta be ready.

You wander down to the beach, and find a large quantity of sand, punctuated by the occasional strand of seaweed. There doesn't appear to be anything here at all, and you come to the slow realisation that Johto was not created solely for your adventure. You might be the player character, but the world doesn't revolve round you.

> Ask Tabiti for access to the help module. Or ask the Narrator.
Ask Elm how effective he thinks the masterballs are against Eldritch Pokemon. Will they tame one? Will they not decay like the lesser balls do? If you could throw one of his master balls at the eldritch quilava the next time you see it (and not throw it into the flames of his back) that would solve a LOT of problems (assuming you succeed in getting back to the mainland). What if you catch it in a masterball and keep that masterball in a pokeball? Would that slow down the decay?

/help=party_mechanics

You would do well not to question that which you cannot understand, mortal.

Jesus. Is it you, or is the help system threatening you?

You turn to Elm.

"Do you think the Master Ball will work against Eldritch Pokémon, or will it decay once it's caught them?"

He gives you a look.

"Why would it decay?"

"Well, I caught an Eldritch Totodile in New Bark," you say, "but it sort of corroded the Poké Ball from the inside..." You trail off, aware that Elm is looking at you as if you are a lunatic.

"You tried to catch one of those things?"

"Well... yes. I am a Trainer. It's sort of what we do."

"Christ." Elm shakes his head. "Look, I've never tried to catch one; I have no clue what the mechanics of catching them is, and frankly it's not something I particularly want to experiment with unless I have a very large gun at my disposal."

You wave the Highly Persuasive Handgun.

"All right," he concedes. "Fine. We'll try to catch one if you want. But I suggest we get out of here first: I don't want it getting loose on board the helicopter where we can't get away from it."

He has a point, and a good one at that.

> See if the new team function creates new features like team skills or something like that, like maybe Elm has a skill like Analysis tells you weaknesses of Eldritch Creatures, and maybe you have something like Attarct Danger/Plot point that continues the story by scaring the wiz out of you or getting your but kicked, but if not just go to the chopper and get out of here.

Well, skills or perks have never been a big part of this world, but you think that probably Elm could do that. Not because he has a skill or a perk or anything, of course, but because he's a scientist who specialises in studying Pokémon.

Likewise, you do attract danger, but more because you are easy prey for most of the large, carnivorous animals that rule the world right now.

Anyway, that aside, you and Elm get your stuff in the chopper and get in.

"Right," says Elm, dropping into the pilot's seat. "I know how to fly this thing in principle, at least. Where are we going?"

This is something you hadn't yet considered. Are you heading back to the mainland? Or going on to Cianwood?

Years
Is there enough fuel for both?
If you make it to Cianwood safely and there's nothing there or it's too dangerous, can you fly back to Olivine or if possible further?
If we're gonna be stuck with one, I'd rather we face the dangers we know rather than whatever lurks in Cianwood. If a big Tank of Kerosene is more than enough to get us around, begin flying to Cianwood with the intention of inspecting/looting it (didn't the lighthouse person imply that there were answers in Cianwood, ones we need?) - if there is danger fly away full throttle.
Lastly, have your highly pursuavise hand gun at the ready when you take off. Eldritch fearows could tear that chopper to shreds.

Years
  • Seen May 12, 2021
Jasmine definitely said we should head to Cianwood and, as this was our entire reason for setting out to sea in the first place, I say we continue on to Cianwood.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Check the weather if it's safe for flying. Check the sky if it's clear of any signs of flying eldritch pkmn. If both are clear, then fly to Cianwood.
Also, check the remaining ammo of your Highly Persuasive Handgun.
And before taking flight, ask Vesta if she's afraid of flying... Oh wait, that'll be her first time flying that is outside her jar and outside your bag... Never mind. >,>

Cosmic Fury

[color=red][I][css-div="font-size: 12px; font-vari
Years
I would head towards the mainland before going over to Cianwood. If that masterball can work on that Eldritch Quilava (assuming it's not evolved AGAIN), then it'll solve most of your problems. Also, you may want to take some time to train Vesta. Perhaps she'll evolve or at least grow stronger. Even if it is telling her to torch a little more than usual, it'll only do some good.

(VERY nice thing you've got going, by the way!)

Also, check your bag to toss out any COMPELTELY useless stuff. Sure, there's stuff that appears to be useless and works later on, but there have to be things to get rid of that are just beyond bad. After all, the bag might get full in the future, and you'll have to have room for more critical supplies down the road. However, let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

Back