• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your preferred web browser?

What web browser do you use?

• Firefox

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • Chrome

Votes: 103 50.5%
  • Opera

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Internet Explorer

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Safari

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters

Zet

Years
I use Internet Explorer 9 since it's the safest browser to use(it blocks 99% of malware while other browsers only block about 10%!).

Last edited:

Archenoth

(cozy)
Years
Actually the safest browser is Google Chrome due to it's sandboxed nature. There was a report about IE being the safest, but that was funded by Microsoft.

I was really disappointed that Microsoft did that. I had my hopes up about IE after reading the report until I found out.

And for being safe against hijacking, you should check out the results of the most recent Pwn2Own competition results. (A hacking contest)
Though I will admit that they used IE 8 in that competition, apparently most of the improvements in IE 9 were in it's GUI.

Archenoth

(cozy)
Years
Well, look at this vulnerability database...
This is a list of exploits and shellcode for things that people find using things like metasploit, or Hydra, or security audits like injection and fuzzing... If you search up Chrome, the latest exploit you can find that people found was for Chrome 8, they are on Chrome 17 right now. That isn't true for any other browsers, even my beloved Opera falls way behind Chrome. IE 9 has exploits.

I've found some internal ones myself, things like hijackable frames. (Though that isn't downright shellcode like this site lists)

Chrome literally has no exploits. Every other browser does. I'm not saying it's flawless, but no one has found anything yet.

Do NOT ask me how to use those, I will not tell you because I doubt it would be for anything ethical, and because it is directly in violation of the forum rules.

Edit: I should note that this is not in any way showing people how to hack or crack, nor is it illegal, these are source files that are there for analysis to judge the security of programs and require a set of skills of that of a hacker to actually use. (And if they had those skills, they would be able to find this code easily themselves)

I figured I should post this before people get the wrong idea.

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Hmm...

Both are referring to two different types of threats.

One is social-engineered attacks, while other is exploit code. For protection, IE9 does the former well, and Chrome does the latter well.

Note that there is no such thing as a perfectly safe browser, and I have seen improvements in CSS3 and HTML5 support in every single browser. :)

The very last NSS Labs test is not sponsored for some reason, by the way.

Archenoth

(cozy)
Years
Ah, well I'll admit that I am unfamiliar with social engineered tests since I don't usually keep up with that. So you may very well be correct.

But I know IE9 definitely doesn't protect from malware as well as previously mentioned in the thread. :P

Years
I'm currently running Google Chrome. One of the reasons I use it is because of it's incredibly simple GUI. This may just be my designer side but I've always adored simple clean interfaces over having a very toolbar/button/everything else heavy interface. I also like it because at the moment I'm using a netbook while my desktop is out of order and so far Chrome has the most efficient screen size without being in fullscreen mode thanks to its floating info bar (The thing in the bottom that shows URLs, not entirely sure what its called). Oh and because I use multiple operating systems on the same computer it's easy to download Chrome, or Chromium, and sync my dials using the speed dial 2 plugin. Again which I adore because of its simple design.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Ah, well I'll admit that I am unfamiliar with social engineered tests since I don't usually keep up with that. So you may very well be correct.

But I know IE9 definitely doesn't protect from malware as well as previously mentioned in the thread. :P

Uh huh. In the end, it boils down to the smarts of the users themselves.

Personally, I don't like IE8 these days - I only use it for Intranet. If I'm stuck on a Windows XP computer for some reason, I just run Firefox. It might be sloooooooow to start, but once it's loaded, well, everything should run smoothly.

EthyG

Idk what to write here x3~~~
Years
I''m ending up with Firefox. It's pretty stable, and it's got a Private Browsing function which really helps ^^. Even though the other browsers have Private Browsing functions too, I find Firefox the best because I'm biased towards it.

(tbh, i cant see anything firefox has that chrome doesn't, but i grew up with firefox, so there :P)

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
Years
My prefered browser is Firefox. I switched from Internet Explorer when I noticed how Firefox has the tabs and I heard Firefox was a lot safer than Explorer as well. Even when the alternatives came along, I kept using Firefox.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Yeah, I'm a Firefox guy through and through. I've tried all of the others (except Opera; I've never met someone who uses it, though I've heard good things) and Firefox suits me down to a tee. I don't like IE's interface, and when I'm forced to use it on someone else's computer, it sends me into a rage; Safari I really don't like, but I can't really explain it: every time I go to an Apple Store to check my e-mail, I have to use Safari, and everything feels the same but different; Chrome is good - and super fast, admittedly - but I've had problems with it recognizing certain websites (such as PC, for one). Firefox has the right combination of everything I like to make me keep using it for the foreseeable future.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Chrome \o/ The apps screen you can have on the homepage is invaluable, plus it lets me play Pokemon Yellow from the browser x] And the way that downloads are shown in a bar at the bottom is incredibly useful since you can easily open/find them with one click. I used to like using Firefox, but for some reason it stopped showing any animated images and after a week or two of trying to fix this, nothing worked... So Chrome's my favourite :3

Mentalii

Back
Years
I use Mozilla Firefox, and even despite some little glitches, I love it.
However during a very long time I used Internet Explorer... I don't know how I could. This is a horrible browser, so slow !
Sometimes I use Chrome, because my Firefox browser don't display every wabsites correctly, while Chrome do. But anyway, I think Firefox is more handy to use :pink_wink:

ɯιɳɳҽσɳʂɯσɾԃ

єηℓιgнтєηє∂
Years
I personally use the Google Chrome 19 Dev Rev 2. I like the new settings menu and to me, Chrome is just faster than Firefox, SAfari, and especially IE 9. But, I don't like how Goolge tracks your browsing.....

PaperNapkin

Owner of Red Hair.
Years
I've been using Firefox ever since I can remember switching over from IE. I have never really tried Chrome but I hear nothing but good things.

Cello

Tonight!
Years
I use Chrome. It may be a memory hog, but it's crazy fast, and I love the customization/add-ons.

I have my home page set completely up for convenience:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Feb 29, 2012
I love Chrome and it's sleekness and speediness. I haven't given FireFox a shot though in a long time.

Back