• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domin-8

aka Unoringinally Funny
Years
No pokemon outline is all black, black is only used on the farthest edge away from the light source, a darker purple shade should be used on the areas near the light source.
O C+C on my door as well as my entry (don't know what else to do)

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
Oh, a debate over revamps. God, Newbie spriters get these confused with recolors so often. You're halfway right, Mobile, but I'm afraid Zorin is more correct in this case: a revamp is taking a sprite and stylistically updating it. This includes fixing anatomy issues, as well as shading and outlining issues. Scratch parts are, if not a necessity, very important in making a good revamp. Which is why Zorin's Flareon is good; the Yellow flareon sprite is starkly different from the D/P one (it faces the wrong way, the fur is a differeny kind of poofiness, and the eyes are much larger), and so he had to change a lot of the sprite while still keeping the basic pose. It does seem like there's a tad too much difference, but when it's all said and done it's still a revamp.

~Night, your revamp isn't quite the same style as the D/P muk. Look: the D/P muk has highlights, though not as noticeable as those on the GSC sprite, and you've left those out of your revamp. Also, the outlining is choppy, which leads me to think that you didn't revamp that part at all. The D/P Muk has an outline on the strand ov goo over its mouth, but yours doesn't. Try to follow the D/P style more closely and don't be afraid to edit.

EDIT: more crit. Sun_Ce, your entry... uh... good effort, but I think you need to work on your color choice a little. Outlines are indistinct or somply not there, and here's a tip: when choosing colors, don't simply drag the light/dark slider up and down. Shadows have less saturation than main colors, so you drag the color selectorthingy towards the gray when choosing your shadows. In the same sense, highlights are much more saturated; orange highlights are brighter and more yellow. And dithering, while it may seem to be, is actually not your friend. Don't trust it, and certainly don't use so much of it. It looks... um. Not professional. xD You've got the skills, but you can apply them better.

Last edited:

~Night

~!~Miss Cow~!~
Years
Well, you recolored it. You still need to fix the shading and the outline so that Muk doesn't look 2D and the outline isn't all black.
No pokemon outline is all black, black is only used on the farthest edge away from the light source, a darker purple shade should be used on the areas near the light source.
mukrevampvy0.png

Is this better?

~Night

Fox♠

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 16, 2011
Oh, a debate over revamps. God, Newbie spriters get these confused with recolors so often. You're halfway right, Mobile, but I'm afraid Zorin is more correct in this case: a revamp is taking a sprite and stylistically updating it. This includes fixing anatomy issues, as well as shading and outlining issues. Scratch parts are, if not a necessity, very important in making a good revamp. Which is why Zorin's Flareon is good; the Yellow flareon sprite is starkly different from the D/P one (it faces the wrong way, the fur is a differeny kind of poofiness, and the eyes are much larger), and so he had to change a lot of the sprite while still keeping the basic pose. It does seem like there's a tad too much difference, but when it's all said and done it's still a revamp.

~Night, your revamp isn't quite the same style as the D/P muk. Look: the D/P muk has highlights, though not as noticeable as those on the GSC sprite, and you've left those out of your revamp. Also, the outlining is choppy, which leads me to think that you didn't revamp that part at all. The D/P Muk has an outline on the strand ov goo over its mouth, but yours doesn't. Try to follow the D/P style more closely and don't be afraid to edit.

With RBY and ESPECIALLY green sprites, anatomy changes are nearly always necessary, but considering most people revamp G/S/C which apart from a few generally look fine anyway, then there is no point scratching parts.

LiquidR

I am the shadow on the moon at night
Years
Skipped, about 10 times...

attachment.php

It's a revamp by the way ;>

If you don't get a reaction, that doesn't mean that need to post your sprite over and over again.

And by the way, your revamp look just like every revamp I've seen. It's just a recolor from Gameboy (Color) to Gameboy Advance.

in the words of Gengar Master:
It looks like to me, that you try to retain the original shading. You should re-shade the new re-vamps otherwise they are nothing more then re-colors.

The Original Darkwiz787

Stuck with text below my name.
Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2014
Lol. the blue ivysaur looks like a pikachu too me ._x

Any ways, I'm back with more questions!

Are MD2 sprites facing the same angle as D/P or Firered sprites?
Please I need the awnser!

Also on topic with revamps, 2 attachments.
And these are old revamps, I don't normally do revamps anymore.

Last edited:

Xano

Medallion master
Years
  • Seen Jun 7, 2010
Let me just explain it to you. In R/B/G/Y sprites, the anatomy is messed up. So you need to fix it to be right, and a good example of messed up anatomy is the green venusaur. In G/S/C sprites however, the anatomy is near perfect, and so it is not needed.

In the terms of shading, they did quite well in the first generations considering they had only four colors. So you have a base for where to shade. In the second generation, there is almost no shading because they concentrated on putting in more colors, and you need to put your shading skills up.

So, in R/B/G/Y sprites, you need anatomy changes in most of them, and color changes, but you have a good base of where the highlights are. In G/S/C however, there is no need to change anatomy in most sprites, but some need to like that muk. Shading needs to be added, a there is almost none of it.

So overall, revamping R/B/G/Y sprites and revamping G/S/C sprites are different.

Years
Yea thid convo is getting really annoying...
We already talked about this, and I have proven my point, so mobile prove his.
So there is no need to keep explaining the whole revamping issue.
Besides it doesn't really matter, wanna make a good revamp ?, then put your spriting skills in to the test and scratch whatever is needed to be fixed on the revamp.
I know revamps get way better that way.

Fox♠

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 16, 2011
no the first one is also a revamp you mustn't change the body of the sprite you revamp

Have you read nothing of the past two pages?

Anyway, Crossel I was hoping you could give me some pointers on the Blue ver Ivysaur revamp ;)

Yume Tsuki

(/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
Years
Let me just explain it to you. In R/B/G/Y sprites, the anatomy is messed up. So you need to fix it to be right, and a good example of messed up anatomy is the green venusaur. In G/S/C sprites however, the anatomy is near perfect, and so it is not needed.

In the terms of shading, they did quite well in the first generations considering they had only four colors. So you have a base for where to shade. In the second generation, there is almost no shading because they concentrated on putting in more colors, and you need to put your shading skills up.

So, in R/B/G/Y sprites, you need anatomy changes in most of them, and color changes, but you have a good base of where the highlights are. In G/S/C however, there is no need to change anatomy in most sprites, but some need to like that muk. Shading needs to be added, a there is almost none of it.

So overall, revamping R/B/G/Y sprites and revamping G/S/C sprites are different.

uhm yeah green venusaur.. i revamped that one too :P just because it looked that way it was very funny ^^ but looks more like a palm tree with red leaves, not a flower :P

Years
ivysofar.png

My revamp of Blue version Ivysaur, WiP.

Haha well okay..

You did make it pretty good, but some things are still abit weird if i see it.
His mouth is just 1 plain colour, try using the darkest green shade used for outline, and use the other dark green used for shading.
His mouth will get more detailed and look abit better.
Also his ear has a big black whole in it, use different colours and make it abit smaller. :)
And about his left foot, it looks abit weird, not bad but weird, maybe change it with some pi
xels so it will look rounder.
Thats all I have to say for now :P

Fox♠

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 16, 2011
Haha well okay..

You did make it pretty good, but some things are still abit weird if i see it.
His mouth is just 1 plain colour, try using the darkest green shade used for outline, and use the other dark green used for shading.
His mouth will get more detailed and look abit better.
Also his ear has a big black whole in it, use different colours and make it abit smaller. :)
And about his left foot, it looks abit weird, not bad but weird, maybe change it with some pi
xels so it will look rounder.
Thats all I have to say for now :P

Thanks mate, yeah, i thought the foot looked a bit off too, i'll get down to fixing it!

p.hant0m

Studier of ancient legends.
Years
I just made a re-vamp of gengar but as somewhat of a grass and ghost type.
I call it.
Terragar! :D
tgspritev.jpg

I did something wrong with the background but now i'm going to try and get that fixed to where it has no background.

It's my first re-vamp or re-color. Whatever you call it.
Comments!? :D Oh and BTW: I have one without the vines on it so tell me if the vines/wood part adds to it or makes it worse. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back