• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to Trade, Migrate, and Transfer Your Pokémon [Updated December 18, 2013]

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
[a id]WiFi[/a id]
Quick Links: Pal Park Guide | Poké Transfer Guide | Pokemon Bank Guide (Coming soon)

A "How-to Guide" for Trading on Nintendo WFC

Now most of you know how to trade with other over Nintendo WFC (Wi-Fi). However, there are some of us who have never done so or learned how to. This guide will walk you through a simple trading process that will apply to all trades done afterwards.

Getting Started

Gen IV Games
• In order to trade online in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, you must first arrive at Oreburgh City for the first time. Afterwards, you may receive the Pal Pad from Teala in the basement of any Pokémon Center.
• In order to trade online in HeartGold and SoulSilver, you must first beat Falkner and receive the Zephyr Badge. Then, you may receive the Pal Pad from Teala in the basement of any Pokemon Center.
IW4gisg.png

Gen V Games
• In order to trade online in Black and White, you must first defeat the Gym at Striaton City and have retrieved the Dream Mist from the Dream Yard. Afterwards, you will be given the Pal Pad by Amanita in Fennel's house.
• In order to trade online in Black 2 and White 2, you must first start the game. You'll receive it automatically very early on so there isn't much to explain here.

The Pal Pad itself
This is the Pal Pad, it will be used for registering other people and will contain your friends and your own friend code when you receive it. However there is a maximum of 32 slots for friends. So if you want to register more, you'll have to delete some of the ones you already have. More on that in the next section.

(Gen VI Games) As with the rest of 3DS games...
...we no longer have a Pal Pad in-game. As such you can find you "Pal Pad" or in the main menu by clicking on the small orange smiley face at the top as shown in the image below.
91762293_zpsa92985a2.jpg

How to Receive a Friend Code

In order to trade, you must first receive your own Friend Code, or FC for short. To receive one, you must connect to Nintendo WFC for the first time.

Gen IV Games
To connect to Nintendo WFC:
• Go downstairs into the basement level of any Pokémon Center, where you received your Pal Pad. Here, you should talk to the woman behind the counter that has a door. In Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver, there are two, either one will work.
• In addition, you can choose to use the GTS as a starting point in Jubilife City for D/P/PT or Goldenrod City for HG/SS.
2-SSobtainingyourFC6_zpsdc36fab1.png
2-SSobtainingyourFC7_zps2d708172.png
2-SSobtainingyourFC8_zpsb1a0566f.png

After you have connected for the first time, it will give you a Friend Code. Your FC can be viewed and accessed any time you want in the Pal Pad, provided you aren't in a battle, online, or in the Underground (D/P/PT). This is what you will be giving to other people here when you set up a trade.

Gen V Games
To connect to Nintendo WFC:
In Generation 5 games, the Wi-Fi Club and the GTS are both upstairs in all Pokémon Centers.
eS5GJGL.png

Talk to either the woman in the middle, or the one on the right. Connect and receive your Friend Code. Like in Gen IV games, your FC can be viewed and accessed any time you want in the Pal Pad, provided you aren't in a battle or are online. This is what you will be giving to other people here when you set up a trade.

Gen VI Games
With Gen VI Games, simply go to the Friends List from the Main Menu, connect to the internet, and proceed from there.
WP_000530_zps19f49e63.jpg

WP_000531_zps41414b5d.jpg

Exchanging Friend Codes

So you've set up a trade have you? Well you'll both need to register each other in your Pal Pad in order to see each other online.

Gen IV & V
To do this, open up your Pal Pad. Here you will want to click on the last option in order to retrieve your FC to share with others. I'd recommend writing/recording it down somewhere else for easy access later on. After you've both exchanged FCs on PokéCommunity, you'll need to choose the second option in the middle.
kYveAYg.png
VVzO3Gn.png
ZRSE3oU.png

You'll then want to enter in their name, preferably their Trainer name or Username, otherwise you might forget who you are trading with. In the next screen, enter in their 12 digit Friend Code. Make sure both did not make any mistakes when exchanging FCs or entering them or you won't be able to see them in the Wi-Fi Club.
3-SSPalPadRegisteraFriend1_zpsa69c420a.png
3-SSPalPadRegisteraFriend2_zpseb8a8658.png

Gen VI
To do this, open up your Friends List. Here you will want to scroll once to the right in order to highlight your own Friend Card. Your own FC will be listed underneath the name you have assigned to yourself on the 3DS.

WP_000532_zpsaa9d9449.jpg

WP_000533_zpsc4885954.jpg

After that, scroll back to the left and hit the "Register Friend" button and choose "Internet". From there, enter in their FC and hit OK. If they registered you first, you will not need to enter in a name for them. However in the case that you were first, proceed to the next screen, enter in a name, and hit OK.

WP_000535_zpsbb5c0c65.jpg
WP_000537_zps5fba66e9.jpg
WP_000531_zps41414b5d.jpg
WP_000534_zps86e3e3c1.jpg
WP_000536_zpsfdd3ef00.jpg
WP_000538_zps207e4f3b.jpg

Trading

When you have both registered each other, you'll want to head over to the Wi-Fi Club. The location for each game is slightly different:

Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum
IW4gisg.png

HeartGold, and SoulSilver
LBgTbmh.png

Pokemon Black, White, Black 2, and White 2
eS5GJGL.png

One of you will have to host the trade, in this example I will be hosting. You'll want to talk to the screen at the far end of the room. When a menu opens up, select "Trade" and wait for the other person. The other person will want to talk to your character after you have done so.
5-SSrequestingatrade1_zps94112726.png
5-SSacceptingatraderequest_zps6ccf511f.png

After you have finished trading, you may exit the room. Congratulations! You've completed your first trade :D If you have any further questions, please post them in this thread and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability. Any questions posted here may eventually be made in an FAQ on this thread.
In addition, the same Friend Code can be used for battles, but I won't be covering that in this guide.

Credits go to KagamiChan for all the help with some of the screenshots!

Pokemon X and Y
When you have both registered each other, you'll want to access the internet in-game, which can be done from the bottom screen.
WP_000539_zpsd3f7b416.jpg

WP_000540_zps796db82a.jpg

From there it will ask if you want to connect to the internet. For the sake of this tutorial, hit yes.
WP_0005461_zps88c1494c.jpg

WP_000541_zps6ae58cfc.jpg

After that, it will prompt you to save before you start to connect to the internet, this can be turned off from the options menu in-game "Forced Save".

WP_000541_zps6ae58cfc.jpg
WP_000542_zps46821f02.jpg
WP_000543_zps1af99e71.jpg

From there, you will want to select a friend to trade with and hit the "Trade" button. After the next screen appears, hit Yes and happy trading :)

WP_000547_zpsaa9e8b67.jpg
WP_000548_zps1586167e.jpg
WP_000549_zps154c9014.jpg

Regarding Wi-Fi Security Settings

When setting your Wi-Fi up on a DS, DS Lite, DSi or DSi XL, you may sometimes notice wireless networks that have a gray (or grey) lock. This means that this network is currently WPA or WPA2, meaning you cannot use it since only WEP is supported. However, 3DS and 3DS XLs support WPA/WPA2. In addition, Gen IV Games cannot connect through WPA or WPA2.

So in a nutshell the compatibility by system:

DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL
WEP Internet

3DS and 3DS XL
WEP, WPA, and WPA2 Internet

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So in a nutshell the compatibility by generation:

Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver (Gen IV)
WEP Internet

Black, White, Black 2, and White 2 (Gen V)

X and Y (Gen VI)

Contrary to popular belief:

People can connect to each other (trade, battle, or other games that support Nintendo WFC) regardless of the security setting each other person has. What really matters is that you can connect in the first place. It does not matter if you are on WEP and your friend is on WPA2 or if you are on WPA and you friend also is. You will both be able to connect to each other regardless. However those with a 3DS or other random strange problems may have problems with trading on two different securities.

Last edited:

tabor62

Years
[a id]Pal Park[/a id]
Quick Links: Trading Guide | Poké Transfer

A Guide to the Pal Park & Poké Transfer Guide

Now you may have wondered, how do I transfer my Gen III Pokemon to my Gen IV games? Or, how do I transfer my Gen IV Pokemon to my Gen V games? This guide will teach you how to do just that so that you can use all your previous Pokemon in battle, trade, and for the Pokédex.

Pal Park

Things you'll need

[h3][/h3]The Pal Park is a feature in Gen IV games that allows you to transfer you Gen III Pokémon to your Gen IV games. In order to use this feature, you must have a DS Phat or a DS Lite because the DSi, DSi XL, 3DS, and 3DS XL do not have a GBA Slot (Slot 2). You'll obviously also need a Gen III game (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, or LeafGreen) and a Gen IV game (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HearGold, or SoulSilver).

In-Game Requirements

[h3][/h3]In order to access the Pal Park, you'll first have to have beaten the Elite Four and the Champion and have received the National Pokédex:

Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum
In order to receive it in D/P/Pt, you'll have to have at least seen every single Pokemon in the Sinnoh Pokédex.

HeartGold and SoulSilver
In order to receive it in HG/SS, you'll have to defeat the E4 and the Champion.

[h3][/h3]Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum
It is located at the end of Route 221 as indicated by the small red circle:
dCf3Nzx.png
gyeNsqv.png

HeartGold and SoulSilver
It is located in Fuchsia City where the Safari Zone used to be as indicated by the small red circle:
MuqFMn1.png
OXyioOI.png

How to Migrate

[h3][/h3]Now to migrate your Pokémon from your Gen III games, there are some things you'll have to do in your Gen III games first.
1. The Pokemon have to be in your PC.
2. The migrated Pokémon cannot know any HM moves.
3. Also, migration is one way, so they cannot be put back into your Gen III games and they aren't cloned in your games so you will lost them forever in your Gen III games.

4. Then, you will need to access the main menu before you start up you save file and select "Migrate from (Insert Game Name Here)"
5. Afterwards, you will choose the six Pokémon that you want to migrate. Choose carefully though, because you can only migrate 6 every 24 hours and you cannot migrate more Pokémon without catching the previous 6 first. However there is a loophole you can exploit and I'll be talking more about that later in the guide.
6. Then after migrating them, you'll need to talk to the main at the counter in the Pal Park.
phQ2R18.png

7. Each Pokémon that you migrate is broken down into 5 different catagories, a guide for which catagory your Pokémon is in can be found on Bulbapedia.
Refer to the picture in the provided link for the location of each Pokémon you want to catch.

When you encounter them, you'll be able to throw a Park Ball. This has a 100% catch rate and will turn into the ball the Pokémon originally was in. Or you could run from the Pokémon, though I wouldn't know why you would want to. After all of this, they will be put into your PC and you'll be done :D

Exploitation of a Loophole

[h3][/h3]Normally you can only transfer 6 Pokémon a day. However, you can change the DS clock one day ahead to get around it. Through this method, you can only transfer multiple sets of 6 from the same Gen III game. However, this only works in Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum.

[a id]Poke Transfer[/a id]
Quick Links: Trading Guide | Poké Transfer

Poké Transfer

Unlike Pal Park, this can been done an unlimited amount of times per day, so there is no exploit :P

Things you will need

[h3][/h3]The Pal Park is a feature in Gen V games that allows you to transfer you Gen IV Pokémon to your Gen V games. In order to use this feature, you must have two DS's, DSi's, 3DS's, or any combination of the three. You'll obviously also need a Gen IV game (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HearGold, or SoulSilver) and a Gen V game (Black, White, Black 2, or White 2).

In-Game Requirements

[h3][/h3]As with Gen IV, you need to have defeated the Elite Four and the Champion at least once and have received the National Pokédex. However, in Black and White, you have to defeat N and Ghetsis at N's Castle.

[h3][/h3]It is found at a Lab on Route 15 as indicated by the small red circle:
Black & White
fvoQFyk.png

Black 2 & White 2
xqBPKyY.png

The building itself:
KvVrnCu.png

The inside of the building
Uvb9D0V.png

How to Transfer

[h3][/h3]Transferring Pokémon has some setup that is required just like for Pal Park. You have to make sure the Gen IV Pokémon in question have no HM moves. Also, you cannot transfer the Spiky Eared Pichu from HeartGold and SoulSilver. In addition, any items your Pokémon are holding will be put into the bag rather than be transferred with the Pokémon. In your Gen V games, you'll want to go to the Poké Transfer Lab on Route 15. Head to the back of the building and talk to the man at the counter. After all the setup, it'll tell you to go to DS Download Play on the other DS/DSi/3DS with the Gen IV Pokémon game in the slot. After selecting the Poké Transfer in Download Play, select the 6 Pokémon that you want to transfer over. You'll have to play a small mini game in order to capture them. You'll be shooting Pokéballs at your Pokémon by dragging a box back and releasing with a crosshair aim.

The Mini Game Explained in a Little More Depth

[h3][/h3]Usually, not all the Pokémon start out jumping around between bushes. Some of them hide in the bushes until you hit them with a Pokéball. Be sure to do this while their head is sticking out though, if they are withdrawn within the bush, the Pokéball will do nothing. Also, you will notice a small pink cloud floating by on the screen when you are running out of time. If you hit this cloud with a Pokéball, it will put all the Pokémon on the screen to sleep for a short amount of time. While the Pokémon are sleeping, they can be caught regardless if they are hiding in a bush. You cannot catch the Pokémon that are off screen however.

What to do Afterwards

[h3][/h3]After you are finished with catching the Pokémon, you will be asked if you want to transfer more Pokémon. Say yes if you do, and no if you don't of course. The Pokémon will be put into your PC and you'll be done :D If you have any questions, I encourage you to post them in this thread and I will answer them to the best of my abilities. Any questions asked in this thread may be compiled in an FAQ in the future.

Credits go to Mac for all the help with some of the screenshots!

Last edited:

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
Years
I'm not sure if it's okay to post, but here it goes.
Suggestion:

You can add an additional section discussing Error Codes (source and possible solutions from technical or personal experience) since Nintendo's site isn't so user-friendly at times.

tabor62

Years
I'm not sure if it's okay to post, but here it goes.
Suggestion:

You can add an additional section discussing Error Codes (source and possible solutions from technical or personal experience) since Nintendo's site isn't so user-friendly at times.

It's fine, you can post in here as long as it is a suggestion, a question, or a discussion stemming off of any of those two.

I don't really have much experience will dealing with those (I just reset the game or exit and reenter the room), nor do I know anyone personally that can help me with this. I may implement a section for this in the future, but for the time being, the Technology and the Internet, Fourth Generation, or Fifth Generation forums are your friends.

Kami Oni

The Pokemon Breeder Anime Fan
Years
I am trying to figure out whats going on my soul silver game dosent have the option to Migrate my pokemon from Fire Red I beat the elite 4 and the champion along with the nationaldex so do I have to beat the elite for in kanto as well to be able to or talk to someone to access it??

tabor62

Years
I am trying to figure out whats going on my soul silver game dosent have the option to Migrate my pokemon from Fire Red I beat the elite 4 and the champion along with the nationaldex so do I have to beat the elite for in kanto as well to be able to or talk to someone to access it??

Now if I recall correctly, you'll have to reach Fuchsia City and go into the large building at the North end of the city to be able to make use of it.

Back