• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Which Starter do you choose in G/S/C?

Which Starter do you choose in G/S/C

• Total voters

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
The very first time that I played through my Silver version (which was the first one I had) I chose Cyndaquil. I got all the way up to Red with him and then my cousin played and saved over my game file. I was so upset.

After that I chose Chikorita and fell more in love with her than I did my Cyndaquil. lol I was pretty devastated when the battery ran dry on that cartridge a few years ago. Pretty much depends on which version I play now which starter I choose. I usually stick with Chikorita on Silver, I go with Cyndaquil on Gold and Totodile on Crystal. No real reason, that's just the way I do it.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
In Pokémon Silver, I chose Cyndaquil. I found it to be very cute, and I was a big fan of fire-types back then. I used to think that it was the most powerful type a Pokémon can have. xD When I got my hands on Pokémon Crystal, I decided to choose Chikorita. Chikorita was very hard to train, but when it finally evolved into a Meganium, it immediately became one of my greatest tanks. It was able to endure many of my opponent's hits, even the ones that are high in power. Thanks to that, I was able to defeat the Elite Four pretty easily.

Captain Oshawott

The Otter Pirate
Years
Usually I chose Cyndaquil. Not because it's a fire-type, or the fact that Typhlosion looks awesome. It was because his move pool was far superior, in my opinion, than Meganium or Feraligatr.

However, when I got my hands on Crystal, I decided to give Totodile a try, mainly because I usually choose the Water-type pokemon as a starter *i.e Squirtle, Piplup, Oshawott.*. That Feraligatr single-handedly wrecked the Elite Four, most of the Kanto Region, and practically swept Red, with the exception of his Venusaur, who fell to my Piloswine.

Years
I chose Totodile. It was just really powerful later on in the game. Not in the first few Gyms though.

Years
I picked Totodile as my first ever starter and haven't regretted it. I've chosen Cyndaquil more recently, though, as Fire type Pokemon are bit difficult to come by in many Pokemon games.

Years
  • Age 24
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 21, 2017
Cyndaquil. I used to pick it because it's cute, but now I pick it because Typhlosion is awesome :)

Alloute

Cat Burglar
Years
I chose Cyndaquil in Silver & Gold and Totodile in Crystal version. I never chose Chikorita because I heard that using it was really challenging especially against Falkner and Bugsy at the start of the games.

Years
i chose Cyndaquil the first time I played... man that first battle against the Slowpoke was a massive hassle. Took me like 15 tries. but it was worth it when i got my first Typhlosion i love that thing. I think i might still have it in my Gold cartridge but not sure...

Jet Pilot

I killed Spiderman.
Years
I chose Cyndaquil a lot just because I loved the look as a kid, now I choose Totodile over all. I simply love his stats and early evolution.

Years
I went with Cyndaquil in my Gold version because it's strong and has that type advantage to Bugsy in the second gym, but then in Crystal I went with Totodile because it was cute in the anime (literally, that's why :3c)

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
This was my least favourite gen starter-wise.

I liked Totodile the most, though. Simply because I like water over grass and fire.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Cyndaquil first time round because I only ever use fire starters yes I actually liked tepig cause it was a cute piggy but the evo's were just eurgh

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
Cyndaquil first time round because I only ever use fire starters yes I actually liked tepig cause it was a cute piggy but the evo's were just eurgh

They shouldn't have had a third gen of Fire/Fighting as a starter. Once was enough. Twice was fine. Three was pushing it.

Years
I almost always went with Cyndaquil. He's so cute, and I always seem to start with the fire type. At least during my first play through.

Sirfetch’d

The first time I played I decided to go with Totodile because I had a thing for Water types and I am happy that I did. He turned out to be a very valuable Pokemon throughout my entire journey because of his good strength. The other two I eventually used on later playthroughs and had decent success with as well although Meganium was really hard to train.

MaoMint

☘ 小猫咪 ☘
Years
I've had playthroughs with each of them as I like all three of this gen!
But I think Cyndaquil is my most common choice : ) followed my Chikorita - she must have been the one I've used last too.

Cataclysmic

A New Adventure
Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2015
I've chosen all three at different points, but Totodile was my most common choice, followed by Chikorita, and then Cyndaquil. I usually have a preference for water types.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 13, 2013
The cool thing about the Gold/Silver/Crystal, is that the first few gyms don't offer an immediate 'best' pick, so you don't have to be tied to Chikorita to have a nice experience.

Thus, I went with Cyndaquil (before realizing that the second gym is a bug gym, where Cyndaquil can pretty much solo the whole place in one go.) He's got good power, and looks cool and cute at the same time.

Back