• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2016
Hi everyone, i was just wondering if you guys could help me with this problem i've been having. I use vbalink to battle with my friends over hamachi and we've recently started playing pokemon rom hacks(3rd gen) and we tried 2 so far, the first being Pokemon light platinum and pokemon flora sky. We wanted to battle and trade with light platinum but there was no trade center. We tried flora sky and we get really close but everytime one of my friends join a room the game restarts on us both.
Does anyone have any clue why this happens? And can it be fixed..thanks.

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
Hi everyone, i was just wondering if you guys could help me with this problem i've been having. I use vbalink to battle with my friends over hamachi and we've recently started playing pokemon rom hacks(3rd gen) and we tried 2 so far, the first being Pokemon light platinum and pokemon flora sky. We wanted to battle and trade with light platinum but there was no trade center. We tried flora sky and we get really close but everytime one of my friends join a room the game restarts on us both.
Does anyone have any clue why this happens? And can it be fixed..thanks.

Well the problem with hacks is only a few amount of people want to trade using it. Although trading is not that much done in rom hacks and as for that the script might be bugged and you might have to copy the real script from the original game. Although most of the time those aren't touched and just left there and became buggy from time to time for an unknown reason. :/

In short I don't think it can be fixed.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
They are incompatible with v1.1. I did send a PM to Gamer2020 regarding PGE's compatibility and he said to change "roms.ini" and add the proper offsets of the 1.1 version. Do you know how can I get those?

Here's the one for FireRed v1.0 as seen on the .ini file:

Spoiler:

I have changed a lot on this rom with AdvanceMap (thus I can't simply use an 1.0 version) but no coding was involved.

I would say use 1.0, but I'll help you. Go to the locations in a 1.0 rom in a hex editor. Copy a good amount of data (16+ bytes) and search for that data in a 1.1 rom. Take the offset of that data and write it in in the ini as the location. This should work for most things.

However, for some it won't work due to pointers. If you do encounter some where you can't find the data, come back.

Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2013
1) You need to find and download a tool called "Truck Remover" and another tool called "SMCA". Truck Remover will remove the ASM which makes the truck shake and SMCA will change your start map to a different one besides the truck. Now, go learn about Level/Map Scripting. This where your "invisible" mom script is: it is a map script on the main LittleRoot map.

I'm sorry if the answer should be obvious but are there actually hidden scripts on the Littleroot map that I can't see? What I meant earlier was that I have already deleted all apparent events/signposts/scripts/etc on the main LittleRoot map along with Route 1 but the "invisible mom" still happens. I guess that might be taken care of by SMCA and Truck Remover?

Also, I have read through a lot of the tile editing guides etc and can edit tiles fine. The problem is that when I edit tiles in one map they also change on the other. For example, if I edit the gym tiles in Viridian City to make it so that the grass toward the bottom is rocky terrain instead (because I want the gym to be raised on rock, it will also edit the gym in Fuschia City making that look rocky as well. I guess there must be a way to copy over an identical tileset and just treat them separately but I can't figure out how.

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
I'm sorry if the answer should be obvious but are there actually hidden scripts on the Littleroot map that I can't see? What I meant earlier was that I have already deleted all apparent events/signposts/scripts/etc on the main LittleRoot map along with Route 1 but the "invisible mom" still happens. I guess that might be taken care of by SMCA and Truck Remover?

Also, I have read through a lot of the tile editing guides etc and can edit tiles fine. The problem is that when I edit tiles in one map they also change on the other. For example, if I edit the gym tiles in Viridian City to make it so that the grass toward the bottom is rocky terrain instead (because I want the gym to be raised on rock, it will also edit the gym in Fuschia City making that look rocky as well. I guess there must be a way to copy over an identical tileset and just treat them separately but I can't figure out how.

To remove that level script just go to the header and remove all the level scripts in the map script section after that you're good.

And if you want tiles from another tileset and want to import it to another. You have to export both tilesets. Copy Paste the tiles that you want when you open the tileset in paint and paste it over to the tileset that you're using. Be sure to export the tilesets in the same pallete so you won't have any trouble. Recolor the tile if possible also after that just edit the blocks in A-map's block editor by just pressing the puzzle icon or simply press ctrl+b. Remember to load your new tileset ok? :)

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Hi guys, since I don't know how to remove the location art on some of the maps, I would love the unLz number for these if you know where they are. I can't find them off the the 'FR deep scan unLz numbers' R&D thread.

I'm using fire red btw :)

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
Hi guys, since I don't know how to remove the location art on some of the maps, I would love the unLz number for these if you know where they are. I can't find them off the the 'FR deep scan unLz numbers' R&D thread.

What do you mean location art? You mean the world map?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Few questions!

1) How do I make something like after the intro, it's blackscreen and there's a message box, something like in Liquid Crystal? (Sorry, LC Fan here)

2) Can someone teach me how to use the Level Change Hack of JPAN's Engine? You know like a sample script.

3) Last one. Can someone teach me how to use the Timer Specials of JPAN's Engine to make random weathers last? (Kinda like LC, AGAIN) Sample script or something?

Years
Hi guys, is it possible to make running away from a wild battle impossible? I mean, is there a bit/byte somewhere in the RAM tha controls this particular behaviour or does the game only check the battle type? ... In either case, if someone can tell me how to get the offset for that/those bytes, I'll be very grateful.

Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2014
How to change width of this block? Russian words don't fit in it.

Attachments

• test.png
    test.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 11

karatekid552

Years

Are you talking about these: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Eyecatch ?

I honestly have no idea why they don't appear in unLz, unless of course, they aren't compressed. So, let's try searching for them. Open up VBA and get to a point where one loads. Pause the game with it on screen. Now, in the top menus, find the tile viewer. Open it. Now, look through the tiles until you see the image (it won't have the right palette, FYI), click on a tile, and make note of the RAM location it is at. Then, go back up to the top menu and open the memory viewer. Go to the RAM location you noted earlier and copy the first 16 bytes down. Now search for those bytes in your rom, in a hex editor and you should now have the location of the image.

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years

I honestly have no idea why they don't appear in unLz, unless of course, they aren't compressed. So, let's try searching for them. Open up VBA and get to a point where one loads. Pause the game with it on screen. Now, in the top menus, find the tile viewer. Open it. Now, look through the tiles until you see the image (it won't have the right palette, FYI), click on a tile, and make note of the RAM location it is at. Then, go back up to the top menu and open the memory viewer. Go to the RAM location you noted earlier and copy the first 16 bytes down. Now search for those bytes in your rom, in a hex editor and you should now have the location of the image.

Oh if you mean that then I have seen it in UNLZ I just don't the numbers but I'm pretty sure I found them even without the deep scan in UNLZ.

They are tilesets and if I remember it right they should be seen when the 256 option is clicked. :/

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019

Yes that is the eyecatch! Sorry serebii called it location art! So I followed the tile lookup tut but unfortunately the RAM offsets are stored at 0x6000000 and forward, but each of the tile is a 8x8 pixel block and all that's stored is the palette number (1-F) for each block, so I have no clue where to find the offset now.

Also had a quick look through the unLz tile map area and found nothing unfortunately.

Is there a way to remove them possibly?

I'm going to check now if a byte is stored in a map header or something.

Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2013
To remove that level script just go to the header and remove all the level scripts in the map script section after that you're good.

And if you want tiles from another tileset and want to import it to another. You have to export both tilesets. Copy Paste the tiles that you want when you open the tileset in paint and paste it over to the tileset that you're using. Be sure to export the tilesets in the same pallette so you won't have any trouble. Recolor the tile if possible also after that just edit the blocks in A-map's block editor by just pressing the puzzle icon or simply press ctrl+b. Remember to load your new tileset ok? :)

Is there anyway to export the actual tileset instead of the palette? As in, when you have block editor open on advance map is there a way to export the image on the left, edit it, and then import it back in rather than export the palette image.

edit: Also how would one create an ENTIRELY new tileset? For example, if you have options from zero to twenty three, how would you create your own tileset twenty four?

Last edited:

karatekid552

Years
Yes that is the eyecatch! Sorry serebii called it location art! So I followed the tile lookup tut but unfortunately the RAM offsets are stored at 0x6000000 and forward, but each of the tile is a 8x8 pixel block and all that's stored is the palette number (1-F) for each block, so I have no clue where to find the offset now.

Also had a quick look through the unLz tile map area and found nothing unfortunately.

Is there a way to remove them possibly?

I'm going to check now if a byte is stored in a map header or something.

I'm pretty sure it is attached to the name of the map. However, try scrolling through all of UnLz on 256 color mode like taja... I mean Shadowraze:p suggested.

Few questions!

1) How do I make something like after the intro, it's blackscreen and there's a message box, something like in Liquid Crystal? (Sorry, LC Fan here)

2) Can someone teach me how to use the Level Change Hack of JPAN's Engine? You know like a sample script.

3) Last one. Can someone teach me how to use the Timer Specials of JPAN's Engine to make random weathers last? (Kinda like LC, AGAIN) Sample script or something?

1) Map Script on the opening map.

2) Here, I think this is how it works:

Map Script-

#Dynamic 0x800000
#org @Start
loadpointer 0x{table}
Setvar 0x8006 0x0
setvar 0x8005 0x{see explanation}
special 0x58
end

Table:

See his documentation for how the table is set up.

Var 0x8005-> the first 4 bits tell what data this is:

Bit 0 = grass
Bit 1 = surfing
Bit 2 = tree\rock-smash
Bit 3 = fishing
So 0x9 (1001b) would mean that the pokémon is found on grass and by fishing.
The second byte, I don't know. It says it is used to determine level, but that is in the table.

3) I think I know what you mean, but I'm not completely sure. Could you elaborate more on exactly what you want to happen?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
I would say use 1.0, but I'll help you.

You know what? I got tired of workarounds for the 1.1 and followed your advice (despite the work I'll have to redo all the maps, but at least I know how to do that part). I now got a 1.0 version.

I'm now trying to create an event with Mew. Apparently I need a proper script offset, but I don't know which. Is there one for Mew in FireRed?

Thanks for the help.

Years
@LusoTrainer, I'm not sure if it is just me, but your question is weird. What do you mean by "an event with Mew"? If you want to create your own event you just have to make a script and find an offset that has enough space to store the whole script safely, but XSE can find a safe offset with the #dynamic feature... Talking about #dynamic thing, now you reminded something so I gotta ask: Why do people usually use dynamic #0x720000 or dynamic #0x800000? is it unsafe to store script in a location behind 0x720000? Or is it just a matter of organisation?

Years
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
@LusoTrainer, I'm not sure if it is just me, but your question is weird. What do you mean by "an event with Mew"?

I just want to create an event like the ones for most legendary pokemons. The difference is that in the case of Mewtwo and the birds I can go to AdvanceMap and get the type and script offset from the get go and copy to the event I'll create. Unfortunately I have no such luck with Mew.

P.S: Meanwhile, I learned that both Mystic and Aurora tickets don't work just by making them available. I've read that I need to clear some flags, but I don't know how and where to do it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back