• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

Years
Altough I love the Fairy type and don't quite like Dragon pokes, except Kingdra, Flygon & Hydreigon, I don't want to see Fairy type totally immune to Dragon, being resistant to it would be more than enough!
I don't like how Fairy is rumoured to be super-effective to Dark, many Dark pokes have plenty of weaknesses.
Fire type is rumoured to be resistant to Fairy... Come on!!! Fire is one of my favorite types, but it is already quite powerful offensively, and is already resistant to 5 Types: Fire, Grass, Ice, Bug & Steel, not to mention its immunity to Burn status.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
People are bringing up Weavile as some sort of example as to why Fairy shouldn't be super-effective against dark, but I think what a lot of people are forgetting is that Weavile can just pack a slot w/Poison Jab (less effective since it would have no STAB, but it could be an option regardless for coverage reasons, especially if Fairies move into the UU tier, in which I can definitely see plenty of them there as well as OU), so I don't see the huge problem, especially if Fairies are the kind of types that arent going to have much bulk to them. Of course, this is mere conjecture (obviously), but I really don't see Fairies as the kind of Pokemon that could be bulky, but that's just me. I'd like to see a Fairy-type wall once that's released, if something like that comes into fruition.

I do agree however, that fairies are putting quite a bit of pressure on the aforementioned weavile as well as Tyranitar, which might make the latter fall slightly in usage (and make people use Hippowdon, instead, as their lead SS starter), but I don't think it would have such a detrimental effect on dark types? Forgive me, since I don't have an extreme knowledge of the OU metagame (I haven't played it in months), but dark-types, aside from Tyranitar and Hydreigon, are relatively uncommon in the first place. I feel that this would be more applicable in the Ubers metagame, where Fairy would have considerable pressure on Pokemon such as Darkrai and Arceus-Dark and force them to switch out (as well as be quite a good check to Zekrom as well as Giratina, Arceus-Dragon, Rayquaza and fellow Uber Dragons), whereas Pokemon such as Arceus-Steel and Arceus-Poison as well as Iron Head Excadrill (I suppose this would exist), and Jirachi, etc exist to drive out said Fairies.

I hope this post made sense, but yeah ^^; That's how I foresee things going.

Only part I disagree with is Fairies going that high. We may have Azumarill there, but I don't see any real tactics changing for it. It needs Huge Power to survive and with a majority of Fairy attacks being special based, based on appearance, Azumarill won't be carrying as many in favor for Ice attacks vs Dragons.

In terms of Bulky, we have Azumarill, Sylveon seems to be fairly bulky in health, and Mawile, though Sylveon and Mawile I'd be surprised to see high usage in even in UU. I expect both to star a lot in NU, but not much usage out of that. I can't see either being able to do much in Uber at all, not as kay defenses. They may be pinch hitters here and there for a quick attempted kill, but nothing major in terms of use.

Gardevoir...don't see her moving much. Maybe up to the next teir but she's still fairly frail physically She'd have better use of her Fairy attacks though.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
If Gardevoir and Azumarill gain Megas, together with their new typing they're likely to rise in the tiers.

I really hope that Glow Punch is a Fairy move...

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
If Gardevoir and Azumarill gain Megas, together with their new typing they're likely to rise in the tiers.

I really hope that Glow Punch is a Fairy move...

A mega won't exactly mean it'll get a boost needed to move up in tiers though. Mega Mawile now has the same crutch that Azumarill is currently under and even still she only gets a boost in Defense and Special Defense. We don't know if any of her stats lower because of this boost either. When there is a stat change with the Forms, majority of them are shifted to different formats. Rotom and Kyurem are the only two that just gain benefits from these, but both have special cases where as Rotom needs special outside items to absorb and Kyurem fuses and takes on power from Zekrom and Reshiram.

Mega Evolution is pretty close to Giratina's form change where a hold item is needed, this is based on the information we currently have. Giratina has a stat shift that takes from some to give to the others. This can still be true for the Mega Evolutions. Mawile can lose speed, attack, Special attack or even HP when it goes into its Mega Form to make up for the bonus in Defense and Special Defense. If it takes from Attack this can be to balance out Huge Power though it still makes the potential a lot lower. Same can be said for the other confirmed Megas. Their stat boost can come at the cost of a stat lowering as well.

So even with Mega Forms, there isn't much to rely on a successful tier jump for any of the re-speced Fairy Types.

KinKage

Golden Shadow
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 27, 2016
I dislike the Fairy type, it's far too mainstream and it's super effective against my precious dragon types? ;c Oh my, Pokemon you have crossed the line. q_q

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
I dislike the Fairy type, it's far too mainstream and it's super effective against my precious dragon types? ;c Oh my, Pokemon you have crossed the line. q_q

Define mainstream, because, to be honest, I believe that the choice of Fairy to be the new type is kind of...off the beaten path. I would have expected Light or something else before I would have expected Fairy.

While I like the new Fairy type (although I'd probably be happy with any new type), I have to say I'm ready for them to introduce some Fairy types that aren't so...cutesy. (Mega) Mawile, Gardevoir, and Xerneas are the only Fairy Pokémon introduced so far that demonstrate that fairies don't have to be these tiny, cute, silly looking things. And only one of those is a new Pokémon.

I'm sure the evolved forms of Swirlix, Spritzee, and Flabébé will look a bit more serious, but I kind of want to see them now, just so I can make sure.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • U.S.
  • Seen Aug 21, 2013
I personally am not sure about the fairy type yet, I am a little mad they made marill and mawile into fairies but if the type is good to the most part I guess it's fine right?

blue

gucci
Years
I'm looking forward to see (if any) which other past generation Pokémon that are getting the Fairy Type treatment, I'm mainly hoping for Finneon & Lumineon but I'm not sure whether it will happen just yet idk ;;

KinKage

Golden Shadow
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 27, 2016
Well, I'm thinking that Pokemon is trying to serve more of the girl fanbase, (well maybe gay guys too (no offense)) So they can get an even bigger fanbase for more money, I'm not too fond of these pink pony pokemons if you know what I mean.

Sirfetch’d

I'm looking forward to see (if any) which other past generation Pokémon that are getting the Fairy Type treatment, I'm mainly hoping for Finneon & Lumineon but I'm not sure whether it will happen just yet idk ;;

I could actually see those two gaining the fairy type, but it's kind of hard to explain why. Personally, I'd like to see my favorite Pokemon, Castform gain it. I could also see the Chimecho line possibly picking up this type as well, although this is mostly wishful thinking~!

Years
(well maybe gay guys too (no offense))\

Offense quite well taken. :T

I'm not looking forward to fairies so far. Dragon is my favorite type, and it seems that supposedly Fairy will have some weird and somewhat uncommon weaknesses, in that both of the above-listed types are primarily defensive. It might be nice to see them have a bit more of offensive power, but when fairies are taking out dragons with full immunity to them, a more readily available weakness may feel more balanced.

I guess it may be unnecessary, though, since it seems that Fairy so far is more of a secondary type. I just hope they don't have too many powerful mono-typed Fairy Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
Offense quite well taken. :T

I'm not looking forward to fairies so far. Dragon is my favorite type, and it seems that supposedly Fairy will have some weird and somewhat uncommon weaknesses, in that both of the above-listed types are primarily defensive. It might be nice to see them have a bit more of offensive power, but when fairies are taking out dragons with full immunity to them, a more readily available weakness may feel more balanced.

I guess it may be unnecessary, though, since it seems that Fairy so far is more of a secondary type. I just hope they don't have too many powerful mono-typed Fairy Pokemon.

Poison is the eighth most common type, and its really not that hard to get one early on in a game: a good amount of the Bug or Grass type Pokémon encountered early in the game are or evolve into secondary Poison types. Steel is also not that hard to get.

Well, I'm thinking that Pokemon is trying to serve more of the girl fanbase, (well maybe gay guys too (no offense)) So they can get an even bigger fanbase for more money, I'm not too fond of these pink pony pokemons if you know what I mean.

That's assuming that Fairy types will simply be these "pink ponies" as you put it. Does Xerneas look like it fits that description? Does Mawile/Mega Mawile? That also assumes that all girls/gay guys are into that stuff, but that's another matter entirely.

And, if you look into the lore, you can see that fairies can actually be pretty bad ass sometimes. They come in all shapes and sizes. Trolls, gnomes, goblins, leprachauns, imps, banshees, etc. are all types of fairies. And, fairies, according to some legends, are able to counter or defeat Dragons. So, it kind of makes sense to have them be strong against Dragon types.

Last edited:
Years
OK time for a well-deserved bump because the new type chart has been revealed!

tumblr_msy54x2iUD1s37zbio1_500.png

Going by what this image shows, here's the Fairy-type matchups:

Super-effective on Dark, Dragon and Fighting
Not very effective on Fire, Poison and Steel
Weak to Poison and Steel
Resistant to Bug, Dark and Fighting
Immune to Dragon

So were you expecting these matchups? At least it confirms that Pangoro, as well as the Scraggy and Deino evolution lines have a 4x weakness to Fairy, while Sableye and Spiritomb finally have a true weakness. But still, wasn't expecting Fairy to be resistant to Bug though. Everything else I did see coming.

Last edited:

Years
Poor bug keeps suffering it seems. At least Ice didn't get hurt by the new type chart :).

You know this means Mawile will not be able to take down fighting types...and is no longer weak against them...as Fairy neutralizes the weakness. Fire Pokémon though are still it's point though as both it's types aren't very affective and steel is weak against Fire.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
But Dark/Ghost types...what?

Sableye will be lowered a tier, I guess. Spiritomb is lowered even further. Eelektross is the only one left with no weaknesses as default *sigh*

Years
But Dark/Ghost types...what?

Sableye will be lowered a tier, I guess. Spiritomb is lowered even further. Eelektross is the only one left with no weaknesses as default *sigh*
Look at the bright side now Dark types and Ghost types can now hit Steel types neutral damage instead of 1/2 x damage...
Also now that they have a weakness this opens up the chance for evolutions! (a lot of people apparently opposed evolutions for them due to having no weaknesses...)

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
It seems To me that fairy has become the new uber type.... I'll just have to wait n play To see what I really think....

Years
I'm glad to see Steel and Poison have another type they're super effective against. Also it makes sense as Fairies in lore were weak against certain metals and hated pollution as it made them dry up (at least the Greek ones) into mummy like creatures...

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Let's have a look and see if we can argue each of these typing advantages/disadvantages into sense.

Beats Fighting, Dark and Dragon - Fairies can be thought to use magical powers. Magic is often thought to be able to overcome brute force and sneaky/dirty tricks (the point of Dark types), whole faeries used to overcome dragons has some basis in legends.

Not effective on Fire, Poison or Steel - I can't say I have a good one for fire rn, but the others makes sense. Fairies often have strong ties to nature and myths. What's bad for the natural world? Poison sure is! And steel - I suppose one could argue that manmade, artificial things can hurt fairies.

Resists Fighting, Dark and Bug. It is immune to Dragon. - See above for the first two, although it being fully immune to Dragon is a surprise. Bugs - well, they also have a tie to nature - I suppose one could say that Fairies just know how to deal with them and heal up against a common foe.

Back