• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
When it says to paste the offset into the hex editor, then it says to open the unmodified rom and copy 64 bytes. I dont get why it says to paste it in an modified rom, then save it, then copy 64 bytes out of the unmodified one.
Pretty much all of step 5

Okay, what you are pasting in the hex editor is [pointer- 00 00 80 08] before the 00000000 FF110000, which tells the game that the table has ended. So, you paste that in. A pointer is a neat little thing that tells the game where to go next. As you probably know, pointers are reversed. So, 00 00 80 08 is really pointing to offset (08 [tells us we are in the rom]) 80 00 00. In this case, it is telling the game where the palette is.

Now, we are going back into the unmodified rom to go to offset 35B968. This part, I don't understand. Palettes are 32 bytes long, not 64, but either way, you are copying the palette back to where you are pointing. TECHNICALLY, this palette should still be in the modified rom and we can still point to it, but here, Quickster is teaching you how to copy and move palettes. OW palettes are really only 32 bytes (2 bytes per color), so you copy that to the offset we pointed to earlier, which was 80 00 00.

I hope that wasn't too confusing? I usually insert my palettes directly from the image using NSE, but here is a strict, data manipulation way of doing it.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 25, 2013
Hey so I'm kindof a noob when it comes to scripting and ive been having some problems lately with XSE and A-Map. Whenever i compile a script with a msgbox command in it, for some reason it adds an 8 at the beginning of the header after the msgbox, but not when i declare the string later on in the script.
For example if i had:
msgbox @talk
#org @talk
= Hi

Then when i compile it id get something like:
msgbox 0x8800000
#org 0x800000
= Hi

and if i tried to fix the headers then the strings would come out as jibberish.

In the game, when you walk up to the sprite and press "A" the game freezes because the headers are mismatched and i can not get it to stop doing this and i have no idea why it does this. Ive reinstalled XSE several times and no help

Thanks in advance and any help is appreciated

domdomdommy

US Navy
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 13, 2017
ive been trying to set a path for when you faint during battle and right now i have it to where you are on a beach and then you go to a forest and do a wild battle and when you faint, itll go to the upper left tile of the map. i have the flight script set to where i want it, i even added a level script to the map using

'---------------
#org 0x80F36A
sethealingplace 0x0
warpmuted 0x0 0x1 0xFF 0x1E 0x29
end

and i mean if you put it on the same map, itll constantly warp you forever. if you put it on the forest map like i did, as soon as you enter it warps you to the position. but i only want it to work when i faint. if i dont have the warpmuted, itll only take me to one of the old pokecenters which i dont want. anyone help?

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
Okay, what you are pasting in the hex editor is [pointer- 00 00 80 08] before the 00000000 FF110000, which tells the game that the table has ended. So, you paste that in. A pointer is a neat little thing that tells the game where to go next. As you probably know, pointers are reversed. So, 00 00 80 08 is really pointing to offset (08 [tells us we are in the rom]) 80 00 00. In this case, it is telling the game where the palette is.

Now, we are going back into the unmodified rom to go to offset 35B968. This part, I don't understand. Palettes are 32 bytes long, not 64, but either way, you are copying the palette back to where you are pointing. TECHNICALLY, this palette should still be in the modified rom and we can still point to it, but here, Quickster is teaching you how to copy and move palettes. OW palettes are really only 32 bytes (2 bytes per color), so you copy that to the offset we pointed to earlier, which was 80 00 00.

I hope that wasn't too confusing? I usually insert my palettes directly from the image using NSE, but here is a strict, data manipulation way of doing it.

Okay, so let me see if i get this. Hes pretty much having us edit a pallet in an unmodified rom, copying the offset to it, finding free space for a pallet in the modified rom, then having us paste that pallet offset which we changed into that free space, allowing us to have a new pallet inserted into our rom?

If that is so, then how would we know which number that pallet is in NSE?
Also, I saw someone comment saying they already had made 70 new pallets? If the tut says to insert the offset before "ect", then how does he do it that many times?
And lastly, so is the way you do it easier? Haha.

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
Hey so I'm kindof a noob when it comes to scripting and ive been having some problems lately with XSE and A-Map. Whenever i compile a script with a msgbox command in it, for some reason it adds an 8 at the beginning of the header after the msgbox, but not when i declare the string later on in the script.
For example if i had:
msgbox @talk
#org @talk
= Hi

Then when i compile it id get something like:
msgbox 0x8800000
#org 0x800000
= Hi

and if i tried to fix the headers then the strings would come out as jibberish.

In the game, when you walk up to the sprite and press "A" the game freezes because the headers are mismatched and i can not get it to stop doing this and i have no idea why it does this. Ive reinstalled XSE several times and no help

Thanks in advance and any help is appreciated

Well this is what your script should look like

Spoiler:

Let's say you started a new ROM, if you were to compile that script you should get an offset of 800000. Now let's say you were to do some modifications to that offset, you would open it up and you would see

0x8800000

The reason why you would see this is because I think the 0x8 is there to summon that perticular offset, it's nothing to worry about, whatever offset you complite will have an extra 8 in front of it!

I think the reason why your script didnt work was because you didn't add the '0x2' infront of your msgbox @talk

What this does is it decides what type of message box you would be using, since there are MANY different types of message boxes to use. Whenever you make a message box, you need to add sometype of 0x2, 0x3 0x4 ... or add MSG_NORMAL, MSG_YESNO ...

You can find all these different types of message boxes right here.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=164276

It seems like you are having trouble with scripting, I recommend you read that post. It will help you. If you don't want to read the WHOLE thing, atleast check that out first before you post here!

Also if you have any more questions, PM me and I can help you out!

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Hi. I am trying to find the script for the national dex upgrade in emerald that occurs once you leave your house after the credits as seen at about 1:00 in this video
->> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX-eoMSw4dM

I have looked through the level scripts in the whole of littleroot town (player house, lab and the town map itself) and I can't find anything. I looked in a-text to search for the text and see if I could work backwards but nope.

uhh, hope this was the appropriate place to ask this...

Last edited:

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
Hi. I am trying to find the script for the national dex upgrade in emerald that occurs once you leave your house after the credits as seen at about 1:00 in this video
->> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX-eoMSw4dM

I have looked through the level scripts in the whole of littleroot town (player house, lab and the town map itself) and I can't find anything. I looked in a-text to search for the text and see if I could work backwards but nope.

uhh, hope this was the appropriate place to ask this...

Last I knew, there is a bug with XSE that prevents you from looking at multiple level scripts that use the same variable setting (or something like that). I think you can find the script by looking at Littleroot Town's map script header from the professional header view.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Last I knew, there is a bug with XSE that prevents you from looking at multiple level scripts that use the same variable setting (or something like that). I think you can find the script by looking at Littleroot Town's map script header from the professional header view.

So this is the professional header view of littleroot.
Spoiler:

I am not quite sure what to do with this. My plan was to view the script and remove it since I put the dex upgrade elsewhere.

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
Is there a program or tool I can use to permanently edit the base stats of Pokemon from RBY? Also, might there be a program to edit RBY attack properties?

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
So this is the professional header view of littleroot.
Spoiler:

I am not quite sure what to do with this. My plan was to view the script and remove it since I put the dex upgrade elsewhere.

Where it says 'Map script offset' copy the offset (1E7DCB) and decompile it in XSE. Next, look at the scripts that are decompiled along with the map script.

After a quick browse through a hex editor, I was able to find the first half of the National Dex script (the half that occurs outside of your house in Littleroot Town). The offset is: 0x1E7FB1
I was unable to find the second half that occurs in Prof. Birch's lab, however. Removing the Littleroot script should be enough to disable the National Dex script in its entirety.

domdomdommy

US Navy
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 13, 2017
ive been trying to set a path for when you faint during battle and right now i have it to where you are on a beach and then you go to a forest and do a wild battle and when you faint, itll go to the upper left tile of the map. i have the flight script set to where i want it, i even added a level script to the map using

'---------------
#org 0x80F36A
sethealingplace 0x0
warpmuted 0x0 0x1 0xFF 0x1E 0x29
end

and i mean if you put it on the same map, itll constantly warp you forever. if you put it on the forest map like i did, as soon as you enter it warps you to the position. but i only want it to work when i faint. if i dont have the warpmuted, itll only take me to one of the old pokecenters which i dont want. anyone help?

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Where it says 'Map script offset' copy the offset (1E7DCB) and decompile it in XSE. Next, look at the scripts that are decompiled along with the map script.

After a quick browse through a hex editor, I was able to find the first half of the National Dex script (the half that occurs outside of your house in Littleroot Town). The offset is: 0x1E7FB1
I was unable to find the second half that occurs in Prof. Birch's lab, however. Removing the Littleroot script should be enough to disable the National Dex script in its entirety.

I'll take a look at that once I have time. Thank you very much :D

EDIT: Just had a look at it and after going through some offsets I found the address for the 2nd part (the lab part)
0x1F9E80

and the script is as follows.
Spoiler:

It seemed that using the offset I found for the text in a-text was helpful after all. ;) Your help is appreciated.

EDIT 2:
I am currious as to what these do...
Spoiler:

The setflag 0x31B and 0x31A are cleared when the first part of the script plays, but are set again when the second part plays?

EDIT 3:
OK...Well once I exit the house into littleroot town it freezes (just movement, NPCs and other things still move.)
Not sure what is going on. I removed the scripts so it should prevent it from stopping the players actions.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 26, 2017
Hello guys. I did a search in this topic but I wasn't able to find an answer so I'll make this question here. I have a problem with the pause menu. It seems it has a graphical error where the operation description is.

Here's a pic:
ht-tp://img850.imageshack.us/img850/3961/r2kn.png
^(remove the "-" after the "ht")

Does anyone know what caused that? Or where should I look to fix this? I apologize if this is an already answered question. :(

Hacker Bisharp

Bug reporter
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 28, 2019
Do you know which flag should be enabled to make sure that the guy ask me to go to all the islands and not just in the first three?

z8WPjOXGFYZtwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Hello guys. I did a search in this topic but I wasn't able to find an answer so I'll make this question here. I have a problem with the pause menu. It seems it has a graphical error where the operation description is.

Here's a pic:
ht-tp://img850.imageshack.us/img850/3961/r2kn.png
^(remove the "-" after the "ht")

Does anyone know what caused that? Or where should I look to fix this? I apologize if this is an already answered question. :(

You probably didn't repoint somewhere, and you overwrote the pause menu data.

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
Do you know which flag should be enabled to make sure that the guy ask me to go to all the islands and not just in the first three?

z8WPjOXGFYZtwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

You would just open the script up couldn't you?

Anyway what I could do is just make a whole new script that already has all the islands, but that's just me.

domdomdommy

US Navy
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 13, 2017
Been trying to work unlz for years and I have pushed off adding my own pokemon to the game because of how troublesome unlz is. I only recently figured out how to properly add my own tilesets to advancemap and correct palettes, etc. however unlz I just can't figure out.

I'm trying to edit
chmn.png

into

lets call it Undreon for now...
iro5.png

on Pokemon Ruby which is Goto#1104. I went to irfanView and made the inital Undreon picture 16 colors and then I imported the palette from Glalie into Undreon and saved it. I went back into Unlz and clicked Write to Rom, and with Export Image, Auto Abort if New Data is Bigger, and Auto fix pointers checked I clicked okay only to get a Compressed size: 42C which is too big aborting message. I converted the number to decimal which is 1068, went to free space finder and searched after the offset 800000 for a offset with the needed bytes as 1068. I found it and pasted the offset into the image offset for Glalie. It said ptr found and changed or whatever and that's all good. I click next on unlz to go to next pokemon sprite then previous to see if it's there and it's not.. it's still glalie. I run my game and go into the wild and when I go into a battle, before the battle happens, the game resets. Any clue why and how to fix this, would really appreciate this... been trying to solve this for years

Edit: tried again on a fresh ruby rom except this time I unchecked auto fix pointers and it did the same thing again yet this time the pokemon battle continues and the sprite is still glalie.

Edit 2: weirdly enough the first time i ever post for help on this.... i figure out how to do it. for proof:
yev1.png

I used the step by step guide at ht-tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw8DteMV_ac

Last edited:

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Been trying to work unlz for years and I have pushed off adding my own pokemon to the game because of how troublesome unlz is. I only recently figured out how to properly add my own tilesets to advancemap and correct palettes, etc. however unlz I just can't figure out.

I'm trying to edit
chmn.png

into

lets call it Undreon for now...
iro5.png

on Pokemon Ruby which is Goto#1104. I went to irfanView and made the inital Undreon picture 16 colors and then I imported the palette from Glalie into Undreon and saved it. I went back into Unlz and clicked Write to Rom, and with Export Image, Auto Abort if New Data is Bigger, and Auto fix pointers checked I clicked okay only to get a Compressed size: 42C which is too big aborting message. I converted the number to decimal which is 1068, went to free space finder and searched after the offset 800000 for a offset with the needed bytes as 1068. I found it and pasted the offset into the image offset for Glalie. It said ptr found and changed or whatever and that's all good. I click next on unlz to go to next pokemon sprite then previous to see if it's there and it's not.. it's still glalie. I run my game and go into the wild and when I go into a battle, before the battle happens, the game resets. Any clue why and how to fix this, would really appreciate this... been trying to solve this for years

Edit: tried again on a fresh ruby rom except this time I unchecked auto fix pointers and it did the same thing again yet this time the pokemon battle continues and the sprite is still glalie.

Edit 2: weirdly enough the first time i ever post for help on this.... i figure out how to do it. for proof:
yev1.png

I used the step by step guide at ht-tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw8DteMV_ac

Don't waste your time in unlz. Use the Adanced Series by Wichu. Save you soooo much time and headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back