• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Football/Soccer Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Russia host the 2018 world cup and Qatar host the 2022 world cup.

I think it is pretty dissapointing that England haven't won, we would surely have been the easiest country to make money from plus we invented the sport. As for the 2022 bids, I don't think Qatar is the best option either.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
Don't really care too much about 2018. >_O Though 2022 sounds like it's going to be very unique, will be interesting to see what the country has to go through to get itself ready for the thing. I know they have a lot of issues they'll need to work through and the is probably one of the lowest ranking (if not the lowest) to ever host a World Cup, so it'll be amusing to see how they do in the actual games.

Years
England only got 2 votes from 22, I think some bias/cheating has gone on here as our bid surely looked the best, only Spain/Portugal could even rival the stadia.

The claims of Russian mafia getting involved are a bit far though, some people are even going as far to say they'll rig the tournament itself.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Well, I have a bunch of Spanish newspapers saying that our bid was easily the best and could only be rivalized by England! XD

But want to know why Russia and Qatar? Millions, millions everywhere. They expect to spend almost twice as much as everybody else. Plus they would open a new market around those countries, the same thing they did in Korea and Japan back in 2002. Who cares about the historical European stadia when they can build some new, shiny and waaay cooler ones in a few years?

Chad -

Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2012
Barcelona finally took away the Rubin Kazan curse! xD While Kazan's defense was a concrete wall, the young players of Barcelona managed to penetrate that wall and score a 2-0 in Camp Nou.

Inter Milan, with yet another poor, "horrible" performance loses to the already-out Werder Bremen. Bremen's excellent performance on Tuesday was too late, though.

Chelsea's so-called "bad luck" is still haunting them, following a 1-0 defeat on the hands of a strong Marseille team, away. I predict a rough path for Chelsea, if they can't gain back their confidence soon.

AC Milan, although secured a place in the knockout stage, finished off their last group-stage game with a 0-2 defeat against a determined Ajax, HOME!

Real Madrid thrashed a modest French team, with a stunning hat-tick from the local Karim Benzema and a goal from Ronaldo. It wasn't that much of a game, but Benzema was remarkable on the field.

Arsenal won, with a bit of luck here and there, against a suffering Partizan, scoring a controversial penalty by Van Persie, and goals from the wonder-kid Nasri and another from the speedy Walcott.

On another note..

The Italian teams in the both the CL and EL are not doing so great, unlike the English and Spanish teams, whose four and three teams qualified respectively.

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Years
Question: how long will Benítez manage to survive before he's sacked? Will he even make it to Christmas?

Gabri

m8
Years
Question: how long will Benítez manage to survive before he's sacked? Will he even make it to Christmas?

I don't think he will survive if he doesn't win the next match or two.

Braga got kicked out of the CL. Well all of us knew it would be hard to make it through, but they did a damn good job considering they're first-timers and have a relatively low budget.

Chad -

Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2012

Despite what Benitez has been saying, I think he will be sacked if he didn't bring results from the FIFA Club World Cup. The Inter Milan president, Massimo Moratti, is really anticipating the competition and is expecting another trophy to show, and if Benitez fails to come back with a prize, he will, surely, be sacked.

Though to be fair, he's missing multiple players in the squad, but until they recover, I can't bet on Inter Milan reaching anywhere.

Anyway, who do you think will win? Arsenal or Manchester United?

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Years
So CL Round of 16:

Roma-Donestk
Milan-Tottenham
Valencia - Schalke
Inter - Bayern Munchen
Lyon - Real Madrid
Arsenal - Barça
Marseille - Manchester United
Copenhagen - Chelsea

I just can't take this dejà vú feeling from my mind... Is this thing rigged?

Gabri

m8
Years
Benfica - Stuttgart
Sevilla - FC Porto
Lech Poznan - SC Braga
Rangers - Sporting CP

Portuguese teams are going to have a hard time, heh. :(

Years
In EPL = Arsenal
In La liga....no one really
Eridivisie = AJAX
Bundesliga = Borussia Dortmund
Serie A = Juventus

Nationals teams = Colombia of course. And I like a lot Germany

Barney.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 30, 2015
Liverpool.
And if I must..England. Lost a lot of interest in the International set up.

I have a team for almost every league :L, But I support Liverpool.

Numbers

Say my name
Years
Wish I had seen this thread sooner. I love football, my national team is Scotland, my SPL team is Celtic, my scottish first division team is Queen of the South, my La Liga team is Barcelona and I don't really have an English team although I kinda like Man U and Arsenal. I noticed that the OP is a Rangers fan so I just thought I'd say... Oo Ah Samaras!
We had 9 players missing and we still managed to win at Ibrox. Good stuff lads :D

Arlen

I heart ROBOT
Years
Favourite sport, and something I know a lot about "/.

Within the EPL I don't really support someone in particular, but I do like Liverpool and Birmingham (unfortunately :P). Liverpool I feel don't have a very strong attacking base and seem to rush their football a lot (kinda like the England national teams tactic in the 70's) and I don't think that's really what suits them. I believe they should have fast paced games, but more on the ground passing and agressive movement before the final blow. Birmingham don't actually play that bad, they just don't have the passion to play top flight. In Spain I support Barcelona and always will, call me a 'mainstreamer' but I like them for the way they play, a lot of passes and quick movement before delivering the final blow, and it's the football I like to watch. Luckily for me they have a burst of recent success. I'm Serbian so I support Red Star Belgrade, but too much corruption over there has caused low class football, it seems the glory days wont come back for another 10-15 years. In Italy I support Sampdoria because it's where I lived before coming to Australia, so I sort of picked it up from there. Another unlucky team I guess. My Bundesliga team would have to be Hoffenheim, I was a fan of them before they became top flight, and now that they have the Salihovic and Ibisevic pairing I kinda envy them. But yea, I love the way they play, and on Fifa I don't even have to change the tactics around to dominate with them. I've lost support for the French league, though I used to support Bordeaux but I don't follow them closely enough. Over here in Australia I support Melbourne Heart because they have the same dress code as my favourite Red Star Belgrade, but I guess they play like them too (>.<).

But yea, that was my mouthful.

Ivysaur

Years
Also, Messi is the new Ballon D'or. You can't really say he didn't deserve it, although I think some players did more to get it this year. It was nice to see three Barça players up there, thogh.

CharizardManiac

First Gen Ultimate Trainer
Years
Clubs I support:

Vfl Wolfsburg
Hoffenheim
Manchester City (I'm a big fan of Dzeko)
AC Milan (Fan of Ibrahimovic)

International teams I support:

Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Main reason is that I have family from there but I grew to really believe in this team. I also believe that the team has players with great potential such as Edin Dzeko, Vedad Ibisevic, Zvjezdan Misimovic, Sejad Salihovic and Miralem Pjanic. Dzeko has recently transferred to Manchester City for 27 million pounds (32.5 million euro),an, apparently, record breaking transfer.
Germany - A great team who, in my opinion, dominated the 2010 World Cup even though they only came third. Mesut Ozil is my favourite player due to his skillful dribbling ability. No wonder he plays for Real Madrid.
Spain - A great 2010 World Cup win, who seem to always keep their cool during a match no matter what the score is and their creative tactics and player make a good mix. Favorite players are David Villa and Andres Iniesta due to their amazing goal scoring ability.

Arlen

I heart ROBOT
Years
Clubs I support:

Vfl Wolfsburg
Hoffenheim
Manchester City (I'm a big fan of Dzeko)
AC Milan (Fan of Ibrahimovic)

International teams I support:

Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Main reason is that I have family from there but I grew to really believe in this team. I also believe that the team has players with great potential such as Edin Dzeko, Vedad Ibisevic, Zvjezdan Misimovic, Sejad Salihovic and Miralem Pjanic. Dzeko has recently transferred to Manchester City for 27 million pounds (32.5 million euro),an, apparently, record breaking transfer.
Germany - A great team who, in my opinion, dominated the 2010 World Cup even though they only came third. Mesut Ozil is my favourite player due to his skillful dribbling ability. No wonder he plays for Real Madrid.
Spain - A great 2010 World Cup win, who seem to always keep their cool during a match no matter what the score is and their creative tactics and player make a good mix. Favorite players are David Villa and Andres Iniesta due to their amazing goal scoring ability.

Haha, the teams I underlined are the teams I also support, for guess what, almost the exact same reasons :P Though the Ibisevic and Salihovic pairing is my favourite over the old Dzeko and Misimovic pairing. I also prefer Hoffenheim over Wolfsburg but hey, that doesn't matter. I also prefer Iniesta over Villa, but that's only because of that amazing goal Iniesta scored against Chelsea in the last minute of the Champions league semi final. The best bit about that was that I was watching that match with my dad and my godfather, and straight after the Chelsea goal my godfather said "Wouldn't it be funny if Barcelona scored last minute?" But yea, I don't know why I'm blabbing on like that. Heh.

CharizardManiac

First Gen Ultimate Trainer
Years
Yeah I watched the Barca vs Chelsea game. Chelsea's goal looked amazing, just outside the box, perfect amount of power, blasting into the back of the net. Iniesta scored his goal in almost the exact same position as Essien's and ended it as a great game.

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Years
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back