• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When do you change your pokemon?

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Say your team isnt working for what ever reason. Do you change the nature of your pokemon or do you change your pokemon all together?

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I change the Pokemon and I get a new one. I don't really pay attention during my first gameplay only after I finish the main story.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
It will never happen with the whole team, it does happen with one or two Pokemon. When ever I'm not comfortable or not working out then I will box that Pokemon, and give another Pokemon a try. The only time I had to change a good Pokemon was for breeding (I got two females by accident instead of Male & Female) purposes.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

I change teams mostly for the battle frontier/competitive battling. Say, use a bug-type team or my trick room team or even my "elite teams" specifically fit for 1v1/2v2/3v3s... it always depends on the situation. But for the most of it, I replace the whole team with different pokemon so i wouldn't get too bored of the game.

But I mainly just bring 3 pokemon + HM slave(s).. so the one or two remaining slots could be for any pokemon i've used before. If i miss them, that is.

Last edited:

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
if a Pokemon is not working in my party I would breed/catch a different Pokemon altogether. Usually it is for Wi-Fi battles and those Battle place like PTW, that because I need EV trained ones to win those tricky battles.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Constantly.

I've never used a set team. I constantly rotate through at least a couple of dozen pokemon. Whenever I'm heading out to do some specific thing - explore a new route or traverse a cave or challenge a gym - I assemble a team specifically for that.

At this point, I rarely have any problems with my teams. I've put together so many different teams over the years that I don't even really think about it - I just "know" when I've got maximum coverage and minimum shared weaknesses.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Usually, if I have a stubborn Pokémon that's really hard to train at the beginning of the game (such as Poochyena in R/S/E) I just release it and find a better Pokémon.

Oh, and I refuse to ever box a former teammate; I always have to release it, dunno why.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I usually plan my team out in my head and it works most of the time, but sometimes I go against that and impulsively use other things. If my team is straight-up not working, then I fall back on what I know works.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
Mainly towards the last few gyms or on Victory Road right before the Elite four. Normally I try to balance out my team more right before versing the Elite four so I have a better chance at beating all of them without having to try again.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
I plan my team ahead of time so I usually don't change my team unless one of the members really, really sucks. If so I'll then catch a new Pokemon and train it; it's usually a giant pain because there's normally no trainers around and so it's just wild Pokemon. :( And if a Pokemon has a hindering nature then I'll let it stay and see how it goes, if it ends up being too affected by the negative nature then I'll release it and try and find another one with a beneficial or at least neutral nature.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I only dump team members if they fail me too many times, during the first playthrough. I spend a lot of time perfecting teams for competitive battles.

Gogofreak

Touhou and Pokemon Fanatic
Years
If a member is really falling behind, I just box it. One time, I boxed my Venusaur because I didn't use it anymore due to Kadabra and Raichu destroying everything.

Back