• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The 2014 Grammies

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
The 2014 Grammies

Here is a list of the categories and nominees.

Spoiler:

Thoughts? Predictions? I'll just note that I'm unhappy with Red being considered a Country album. :(

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 2, 2014
I genuinely hope Imagine Dragons wins the RoTY. I've followed them for years and I felt they didn't get the response they should have. They finally would get the recognition they deserve.

I feel the SoTY is going to be a close call between Pink's 'Just Give Me a Reason' and Bruno Mars' 'Locked out of Heaven'. Lyrically, they are clear favourites in my opinion. I might seem bias, but I'd vote for Justin Timberlake for the Solo performance. Otherwise, tough choice everywhere.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
Best Alternative Music Album, Best Rap Album, and Best Country Solo Performance.

The only awards I care about are Album of the Year, Record of the Year, Song of the Year, Best Pop Solo Performance, Best Rock Performance, Best Rock Album, Best Alternative Music Album, Best Rap Album, and Best Country Solo Performance.

Album of the Year
The Blessed Unrest – Sara Bareilles
Random Access Memories – Daft Punk
good kid, m.A.A.d city – Kendrick Lamar
The Heist – Macklemore & Ryan Leiws
Red – Taylor Swift

I think The Blessed Unrest, good kid, m.A.A.d city, and Red are all absolutely phenomenal albums. If it were down to two, I'd have to choose between The Blessed Unrest and Red, but Red is also pretty old. It was released last year, and although I understand why it's on it now (because it was released so late last year), I do think that The Blessed Unrest is a much more impressive album and more deserving of the award.

Record of the Year
"Get Lucky" – Daft Punk and Pharrell
"Radioactive" – Imagine Dragons
"Royals" – Lorde
"Locked Out of Heaven" – Bruno Mars
"Blurred Lines" – Robin Thicke ft. T.I. and Pharrell

Song of the Year
"Just Give Me a Reason" - Pink ft. Nate Ruess
"Roar" – Katy Perry
"Royals" – Lorde
"Same Love" – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Mary Lambert

I am absolutely furious that Roar was nominated for this and not Brave when Roar is literally a rip off in terms of message, theme, and melody of Sara Bareilles's Brave.

Best New Artist
James Blake
Kendrick Lamar
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
Kacey Musgraves
Ed Sheeran

I never heard of Kacey Musgraves, but literally none of these artists are new. Still, out of all of the ones that I have heard of, James Blake has the highest quality music. Kendrick Lamar a close second.

Best Pop Solo Performance
"Brave" — Sara Bareilles
"Royals" — Lorde
"When I Was Your Man" — Bruno Mars
"Roar" — Katy Perry
"Mirrors" — Justin Timberlake

I'm not really sure where I stand on this one. Its a toss up between Brave and Royals. I think they have the most impressive lyrical performances.

Best Rock Performance
"Always Alright" — Alabama Shakes
"The Stars (Are Out Tonight)" — David Bowie
"Radioactive" — Imagine Dragons
"Kashmir" (Live) — Led Zeppelin
"My God Is the Sun" — Queens of the Stone Age
"I'm Shakin'" — Jack White

Best Rock Album
13 — Black Sabbath
The Next Day — David Bowie
Mechanical Bull — Kings of Leon
Celebration Day — Led Zeppelin
…Like Clockwork — Queens of the Stone Age
Psychedelic Pill — Neil Young With Crazy Horse

Best Alternative Music Album
The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You — Neko Case
Trouble Will Find Me — The National
Hesitation Marks — Nine Inch Nails
Lonerism — Tame Impala
Modern Vampires of the City — Vampire Weekend

Best Rap Album
Nothing Was the Same — Drake
Magna Carta…Holy Grail — Jay Z
Good Kid, M.A.A.D City — Kendrick Lamar
The Heist — Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
Yeezus — Kanye West

Best Country Solo Performance
"I Drive Your Truck" — Lee Brice
"I Want Crazy" — Hunter Hayes
"Mama's Broken Heart" — Miranda Lambert
"Wagon Wheel" — Darius Rucker
"Mine Would Be You" — Blake Shelton

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
If Blurred Lines wins a damn thing, I will be pissed. It doesn't deserve ****. I'm mad it's even nominated. It's terrible.

Anyway, I would love Mechanical Bull to win its category, but it's up against Zeppelin and Queens, so idk. I didn't listen to either of those (ikr me skipping a Zep album tf is wrong with you) or the others listed, but I'm sure they're fierce contenders. But I think Mechanical Bull is a strong one too, especially more so as a rock album than its predecessor was. I'm still hoping it wins, of course. I support my Kings.

As far as song of the year, I agree with Ace. Roar doesn't need to be there. I like it, but it's just Brave 2.0 and it's obvious. I feel that Brave pulls off the message better than Roar does. Brave inspired me personally this year, and I don't know if I would have gotten things done or even made it through strongly without that song, so it means a lot to me. To see it lose a nomination to Roar really irks me. Out of what else is there though, I really like all of them. I think Royals is gonna take it home, though.

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
Years
I don't care for the Grammys personally, but I hope Kendrick Lamar wins all the awards he got nominated for. good kid, m.A.A.d city is a damn stellar effort and an album that really soars. Also, while Lonerism was a great album, this was a great year for Vampire Weekend, with Modern Vampires of the City. They really deserve it and I hope they win. I hope Queens of the Stone Age can pinch a win for ... Like Clockwork as well.

That's a lot of nominations for Lorde. I guess I'll have to check her album out now.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Album of the Year
The Heist – Macklemore & Ryan Leiws
Red – Taylor Swift

Record of the Year
"Royals" – Lorde

For me it was tough to choose between Locked Out of Heaven and Royals, but I have a feeling Royals might just get that one step ahead and win.

Song of the Year
"Roar" – Katy Perry
"Royals" – Lorde

Ew, Pink's song, while good, is annoying to listen to considering they thrash the crap out of it on the radio. I've opted for Roar for this category.

Best New Artist
James Blake
Kendrick Lamar
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
Kacey Musgraves
Ed Sheeran

"Brave" — Sara Bareilles
"Royals" — Lorde
"Roar" — Katy Perry

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance
"Just Give Me a Reason" – Pink ft. Nate Ruess
"Stay" – Rihanna ft. Mikky Ekko
"Blurred Lines" – Robin Thicke ft. T.I and Pharrell
"Suit & Tie" – Justin Timberlake ft. Jay Z

Best Dance/Electronica Album
Random Access Memories — Daft Punk
Settle — Disclosure
18 Months — Calvin Harris
Atmosphere — Kaskade
A Color Map of the Sun — Pretty Lights

Best Rock Performance

Best Rock Album
13 — Black Sabbath
The Next Day — David Bowie
Mechanical Bull — Kings of Leon
Celebration Day — Led Zeppelin
…Like Clockwork — Queens of the Stone Age
Psychedelic Pill — Neil Young With Crazy Horse

Best Alternative Music Album
The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You — Neko Case
Trouble Will Find Me — The National
Hesitation Marks — Nine Inch Nails
Lonerism — Tame Impala
Modern Vampires of the City — Vampire Weekend

Best R&B Performance
"Love and War" — Tamar Braxton
"Best of Me" — Anthony Hamilton
"Nakamarra" — Hiatus Kaiyote ft. Q-Tip
"How Many Drinks?" — Miguel ft. Kendrick Lamar
"Something" — Snarky Puppy With Lalah Hathaway

Best Urban Contemporary Album
Love and War — Tamar Braxton
Side Effects of You — Fantasia
One: In the Chamber — Salaam Remi
Unapologetic — Rihanna
New York: A Love Story — Mack Wilds

Best R&B Album
R&B Divas — Faith Evans
Girl on Fire — Alicia Keys
Love in the Future — John Legend
Better — Chrisette Michele
Three Kings — TGT

Best Rap Performance
"Started from the Bottom" — Drake
"Berzerk" — Eminem
"Tom Ford" — Jay Z
"Swimming Pools (Drank)" — Kendrick Lamar
"Thrift Shop" — Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Wanz

Best Rap/Sung Collaboration
"Power Trip" — J.Cole ft. Miguel
"Part II (On the Run)" — Jay Z ft. Beyoncé
"Holy Grail" — Jay Z ft. Justin Timberlake
"Now Or Never" — Kendrick Lamar ft. Mary J. Blige
"Remember You" — Wiz Khalifa ft. The Weeknd

Best Rap Album
Yeezus — Kanye West

Best Country Solo Performance
"I Drive Your Truck" — Lee Brice
"I Want Crazy" — Hunter Hayes
"Mama's Broken Heart" — Miranda Lambert
"Wagon Wheel" — Darius Rucker
"Mine Would Be You" — Blake Shelton

Best Country Album
Night Train – Jason Aldean
Two Lanes of Freedom – Tim McGraw
Same Trailer Different Park – Kacey Musgraves
Based on a True Story… – Blake Shelton
Red – Taylor Swift

Best Jazz Instrumental Album
Guided Tour — The New Gary Burton Quartet
Money Jungle: Provocative in Blue — Terri Lyne Carrington
Life Forum — Gerald Clayton
Pushing the World Away — Kenny Garrett
Out Here — Christian McBride Trio

Best Gospel Album
Grace (Live) — Tasha Cobbs
Best for Last: 20 Year Celebration Vol. 1 — Donald Lawrence
Best Days Yet — Bishop Paul S. Morton
God Chaser (Live) — William Murphy
Greater Than (Live) — Tye Tribbett

Best Tropical Latin Album
3.0 — Marc Anthony
Como Te Voy a Olvidar — Los Angeles Azules
Pacific Mambo Orchestra — Pacific Mambo Orchestra
Sergio George Presents Salsa Giants — Various Artists
Corazón Profundo — Carlos Vives

Best Americana Album
Old Yellow Moon — Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell
Love Has Come for You — Steve Martin & Edie Brickell
Buddy and Jim — Buddy Miller and Jim Lauderdale
One True Vine — Mavis Staples
Songbook — Allen Toussaint

Best Comedy Album
Calm Down Gurrl — Kathy Griffin
I'm Here to Help — Craig Ferguson
A Little Unprofessional — Ron White
Live — Tig Notaro
That's What I'm Talkin' About — Bob Saget

Producer of the Year, Non-Classical
Rob Cavallo
Dr. Luke
Ariel Rechtshaid
Jeff Tweedy
Pharrell Williams

Many of them I had no idea who the artists were so I took a wild guess. Let's see if my guessing pays off!

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
If Blurred Lines wins anything this year ,then I'm gonna give up on humanity completely. A song like that should't win anything.

I think Royals will and should win at least one things. It stands out the most out of all the songs on the list and she really deserves it. I think Song of The Year is best for her and Record of the Year should be Radioactive. Personally I think Random Access Memories should win Album of the Year, though only cause it's the only one out of all the nominees I listened to. The other categories I don't know about except, Best Alternative Music Album which I think should go to Modern Vampires of the City by Vampire Weekend, Best Rock Song which again should go to Radioactive, and Best Dance album which I think should be either Random Access Memories or Settle by Disclosure.

I'm a bit disappointed that Twenty One Pilots weren't nominated for anything, but I guess I'll have to deal with it.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I'm only going to make predictions on who I think has a real good shot of winning in the categories I'm most invested in. I can see Macklemore and Lorde sweeping the Grammys this year though. Further commentary below!

Album of the Year

The Heist – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
Red – Taylor Swift

Between "The Blessed Unrest", "The Heist", and "Red" this is a really tough decision. "Red" feels like it was released ages ago though and Taylor Swift really hasn't had that big of a year, so I think she might actually lose out here. Frankly, I'd be fine with either Sara Bareilles or Macklemore & Ryan Lewis winning, but I think Macklemore is gonna be the one to take it home at the end.

Record of the Year
"Royals" – Lorde

I've only heard snippets of "Blurred Lines" and I swear if it wins out over "Royals" or "Radioactive" I'll be so disappointed.

Song of the Year
"Roar" – Katy Perry
"Royals" – Lorde

This one is a tough one. "Royals" and "Same Love" have been really powerful songs this year, more so than "Roar" and they've gotten a lot of attention just as much. So, for me, I think it'll be a close call between "Royals" and "Same Love." However, I won't put it past the Grammys that they'll choose "Roar" instead.

Best New Artist
James Blake
Kendrick Lamar
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
Kacey Musgraves
Ed Sheeran

Macklmore has had a very, very good year. Ed Sheeran would be a second choice, but it's hard to consider him a new artist anymore.

"Brave" — Sara Bareilles
"Royals" — Lorde
"Roar" — Katy Perry

I really do see "Royals" winning this one, but at the same time I'd really like it if "Brave" won. Sara Bareillis deserves a win! Lyrically they're both strong, but I just have a feeling Lorde is going to take it home here. If anything and nothing against Katy Perry, but I just don't want to see "Roar" beat out "Brave." The latter being a much more superior song and the former just a mere copycat.

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance
"Just Give Me a Reason" – Pink ft. Nate Ruess
"Stay" – Rihanna ft. Mikky Ekko
"Blurred Lines" – Robin Thicke ft. T.I and Pharrell
"Suit & Tie" – Justin Timberlake ft. Jay Z

Rihanna and Mikky Ekko created magic with this song. Nothing else here comes close.

Best Rock Performance

Oooooh, so many good stuff here. I think "Radioactive" might take it home though, and I wouldn't mind it at all. Imagine Dragon deserves some wins at the Grammys for this year.

Best Rap Performance
"Started from the Bottom" — Drake
"Berzerk" — Eminem
"Tom Ford" — Jay Z
"Swimming Pools (Drank)" — Kendrick Lamar
"Thrift Shop" — Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Wanz

It's totally gonna happen.

Best Rap Album
Yeezus — Kanye West

Macklemore has proven to be more than just a one hit wonder with "The Heist". It's honestly the only rap album I've listened to this year, but it's darn good! It's not just a bunch of lame words thrown together to rhyme and a ton of profanity flung around, but a beautifully written and produced rap album. It's been a long time since rap music sounded so good, and said something good too.

Best Country Album
Night Train – Jason Aldean
Two Lanes of Freedom – Tim McGraw
Same Trailer Different Park – Kacey Musgraves
Based on a True Story… – Blake Shelton
Red – Taylor Swift

Because Taylor Swift always wins. Also, it's a great album. Although not one I would classify as Country, but whatever. This will make up for not winning Album of the Year.

Years
Lorde is going to run away with the wins, I think. She has the voice and lyrics that the Grammy awards usually go for.

Agreeing with you here Mac, I've listened to a fair bit of Lorde's music and damn she is talented. Royals is certain to sweep the categories it's nominated in. I would be annoyed if Roar wins Song of the Year because I have a feeling it's very overplayed and got boring fast.

Years
So there's Album of the Year, Song of the Year, and... Record of the Year? I don't understand. Does that mean single or literally best thing that came out as a vinyl record or what?

I normally don't care about these things, but this year I kept an ear open to some of the charting pop music so I at least recognize a lot of names and have even heard quite a few of these songs so I can say that these awards will reinforce everything bad I think about them if they give awards to Blurred Lines or Roar.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
At least, upon nomination of Roar in multiple categories, Sara Bareilles wasn't shafted (considering Roar was pretty much Brave) and nominated for something.

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
Years
So there's Album of the Year, Song of the Year, and... Record of the Year? I don't understand. Does that mean single or literally best thing that came out as a vinyl record or what?

Song of the Year is for the composer/songwriter of that particular song. Record of the Year is for the performer as well as the production team.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
This isn't about the nominees , but it's about The Grammies so I guess it's appropriate, but Lorde is gonna be one of the performers this year. https://www.facebook.com/TheGrammys/posts/10151914927825748

I'm so excited to hear her live. She sounds like she'd be a great performer and well deserves the recognition she's getting. Also performing will be Kendrick Lamar, Imagine Dragons (yes) , Daft Punk featuring Stevie Wonder, Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers (yes!), Pink and Nate Ruess from fun., Merle Haggard, Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson & Blake Shelton.
So excited for Imagine Dragons and Lorde!

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
Once again, One Direction and Justin Bieber were snubbed, 1D should have been nominated for their inspiring songs and so should have Justin, the Grammys are all about YouTube popularity now, PSY was nominated last year and again this year, Lorde (she is talented, but not my cup of tea), Macklemore and Ryan Lewis... These people are all popular on YouTube, 1D's "Story of My Life" is inspiring and they are truly talented, Justin Bieber hasn't really made any strides in making popular music since late 2011, the guy REALLY needs to learn that he isn't going to be African-American, no matter how hard he tries... Get back into Pop music, get off that R&B road.

Back