• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video Games DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
Really? I always heard that Black Knight was a total abomination. And I tried playing Adventure not too long ago and it really hasn't aged well at all - I don't think the formula would do really well today.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Confession: I have never* played a Sonic game before. :(

* Unless you count playing the VC release of the original Sonic game and being completely incapable of getting past the first level. Or maybe the second level. But I'm pretty sure I never beat that first boss.

Years
Sonic and the Black Knight is acually fairly decent. It's totally not everyone's cup of tea, but it's pretty fun once you get used to the mechanics. I liked it a million times better than Secret Rings, which was pretty disappointing, because Arabian Nights is totally my kind of setting.

Adventure 1 has aged really, really poorly. Adventure 2 has a few saving graces (read: Chao Garden), but ultimately hasn't aged very well either, although I think the formula could work if they tightened up the gameplay. Alot of the Lost World Gameplay almost looks Adventure-like with Sonic's movements.

I was watching YoVideogames and they were playing Sonic 2 on the Sega Genesis. Someone brought up a point, which I fully believe is true, and is the reason, to this day, I will never buy another Sonic game ever. But he said that 3D Sonic games are out of their element. The thing that made Sonic good in it's golden years was the speed, that's the theme for Sonic, speed. That fast paced running action! ZIP! Right there. In a 3D environment it's hard to emulate that speed from the Sega days without the player losing control of the character. I'm not sure if there are any 3D-2D Sonic games? But if they want to maintain the speed theme, they need to work like that. 3D-2D. Open world Sonic is just bad.

*Stares at Sonic '06*

I think speed is only partially what made those games good. They tried speeding Sonic up in Unleashed/Colors/Generations. The public's response "OMZG SLOW SONIC DOWN HE'S TOO FASSSST" and now Sonic Team responds with a slower Sonic game and now reviewers (many of the same who would complain about the speed) spouting that now Sonic is too slow.

Of course, I'm also in the camp that Unleashed is the best Modern Sonic Game...so IDK. I might just have invalid opinions all around.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
I used to have Secret Rings, but the controls were so godawful that I never got very far in it and ultimately wound up trading it in. I'm in the boat with Erica that I've never seriously played a Sonic game - Sonic Rush is the only one I've really played, and that's been several years ago. Every other one that I used to own/play I found pretty terrible and wound up not getting very far.

TY

Confession: I have never* played a Sonic game before. :(

* Unless you count playing the VC release of the original Sonic game and being completely incapable of getting past the first level. Or maybe the second level. But I'm pretty sure I never beat that first boss.

I havent played a Sonic game either xD

Years
Sonic never really interested me to be totally honest. I mean it was a good idea but like you guys have said already, he was either too fast or too slow and the developers never did find a comfortable middle ground for his 3d adventures.

It's been a few hours now and I'd appreciate some opinions if I could swing the topic for a bit :)
I'm working on some concept ideas for a 3d platform game I might get a chance to create pretty soon if my dev team gets a move on.
I really want to steer away from violence, everywhere I look I see violence and I feel like I need a break from hurting things. I'm leaning towards a puzzle platformer that revolves around using the physics of electromagnetism and some interesting ways to use magnets.
Spoiler:

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Well, I've never been too good at platform games but it's a good idea. What language will you use to code this game? I believe you'll release it for computers?

TY

Platformers arent my type of games either, but that idea looks really interesting indeed

Years
Sonic never really interested me to be totally honest. I mean it was a good idea but like you guys have said already, he was either too fast or too slow and the developers never did find a comfortable middle ground for his 3d adventures.

It's been a few hours now and I'd appreciate some opinions if I could swing the topic for a bit :)
I'm working on some concept ideas for a 3d platform game I might get a chance to create pretty soon if my dev team gets a move on.
I really want to steer away from violence, everywhere I look I see violence and I feel like I need a break from hurting things. I'm leaning towards a puzzle platformer that revolves around using the physics of electromagnetism and some interesting ways to use magnets.
Spoiler:

Hmm...Well It doesn't seem like a bad idea. I guess my advice would be to remember that there are many puzzle platformers on the market right now. In fact I'd go as far to say it's an oversaturated genre. If you really want yours to see success I would advise 2 things either

A: Keep your puzzle gimmick fresh throughout the game. Don't allow it to become a one trick pony and keep comming up with fresh ways to suprise and entertain your player. Consider games like Braid and Fez

B: If you rather keep the gimmick simple, then make the game very challenging. Consider games like VVVVVV or Aban Hawkins and 1000 Spikes

Most importantly though, no matter what direction you take your game though, keep in mind the difficulty curve at all times. A bad difficulty spike will ruin a game. At least it ruins it for me.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Most importantly though, no matter what direction you take your game though, keep in mind the difficulty curve at all times. A bad difficulty spike will ruin a game. At least it ruins it for me.

You mean a bad difficulty spike as in making the game too easy or too hard? I could see older gamers wanting the latter because that's the difficulty spike they grew up with back in the golden age of gaming. It's something Plumpyfoof would have to think about for his game.

Anyway, here's an interesting article I found at /v/ today: http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/10/21/call-of-duty-players-arent-hardcore-gamers-says-infinity-ward

I never expect the primary developers of the series to say something like this. XD

Years
You mean a bad difficulty spike as in making the game too easy or too hard? I could see older gamers wanting the latter because that's the difficulty spike they grew up with back in the golden age of gaming. It's something Plumpyfoof would have to think about for his game.

Not quite, I'm talking about the games pacing when it comes to difficulty, to make sure not to drop in moments that make the game bone crushingly difficult out of nowhere. Ramp up difficulty steadily so that keeps people engaged without throwing them into a wall out of nowhere. That's not to say that it's a bad idea to make a game difficult from the start. There are retro and modern examples of that working well (Demon Souls/Castlevainia). You just don't want to face a player with a moment where it's just unfair out of nowhere, I think a really good example of a bad difficulty spike is in the game Sonic 4 during Lost Labrinth World of Darkness level. There is a torch puzzle that comes out of nowhere and it has a very non-intuitive solution that isn't found anywhere else in the entire game, Ruining the entire momentum of the level and making what would of been a decently enjoyable level the worst level in the game.

As for Infinity Ward, I guess I'm glad there self-aware :). I suppose they would have to be if they want to keep being on the top. I guess they fit the definition of "know your audience."

Years
Sorry I'm back!
You guys have some good suggestions, I'm going to go and do some research into other platformers later.
I'll definitely take into consideration the difficulty spike thing as well.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 30, 2013
Byte Nyte Perth

Not sure how many members of this forum are Australian, let alone from WA, but for those who are, listen up!

I'm a part of a company called AFK who are developing video game themed events in Perth! Our baby is Byte Nyte, a gaming themed cocktail night at Universal Bar in Northbridge! Our last event, Pocket Monsters pushed us beyond capacity and nearly had us shut down, it was amazing!

Just curious to see who here has heard of or even been to Byte Nyte before, and hopefully introduce the concept to a few of you who may not have!

TY

On a other note, Gearbox released the new DLC for Borderlands 2, and tons of people say its rubbish and short. Whats your opinion on this?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Mario And Luigi 32GB Wii U Deluxe Set Confirmed For North America. Which, unfortunately, isn't like the Wind Waker Wii U bundle and doesn't have the Wii U Pad decorated, but, it comes with a downloadable game of Super Mario Bros. U and Super Luigi U!

Sorry, im from the Netherlands.

On a other note, Gearbox released the new DLC for Borderlands 2, and tons of people say its rubbish and short. Whats your opinion on this?

I've heard the same thing, but, haven't experienced it myself, aha...

TY

Neither have i, its only $3 and everyone says the new Raid Boss isnt a real Raid Boss, but i wanna find out for myself

Years
Not sure how many members of this forum are Australian, let alone from WA, but for those who are, listen up!

I'm a part of a company called AFK who are developing video game themed events in Perth! Our baby is Byte Nyte, a gaming themed cocktail night at Universal Bar in Northbridge! Our last event, Pocket Monsters pushed us beyond capacity and nearly had us shut down, it was amazing!

Just curious to see who here has heard of or even been to Byte Nyte before, and hopefully introduce the concept to a few of you who may not have!

Have not heard of this. Come to Melbourne, my team and I love this kind of stuff.
Is Byte Nyte like an event for gamers to get together and drink? Or is it aimed at developers? Do tell!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 30, 2013
Have not heard of this. Come to Melbourne, my team and I love this kind of stuff.
Is Byte Nyte like an event for gamers to get together and drink? Or is it aimed at developers? Do tell!

It's an excuse for gamers to get together and get drunk! We have special gaming themed cocktails (Arrow to the Knee, Princess Peach's Cake etc) and consoles set up all through the bar running different games. At the Pocket Monsters event we ran a battle championship all night topped off by a PokeRap Battle!

We've started getting local indie developers on board to to bring their game along and showcase it on the night, check out a game called Freedom Fall on greenlight!

Years
That's really cool man. Definitely if you ever decide to travel down to Melbourne I'm confidant you can draw a crowd. Certainly myself.
Might just have some stuff to show off as well when that comes around ;P

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Anyone get Batman: Arkham Origins? I haven't bought it yet, but it got pretty solid reviews across the boards. The game fit my expectations, I'll probably be picking it up next week along with Battlefield 4. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back