• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Development: Adding [a] new type[s] in gen 3?

JordanB500

Former Pokemon League Champion
Years
lol i searched everywhere to find a page liek this i am just wanting to make one type and just wondering cant you make struggle be a normal move? i just want to know where i go in unlz-gba to find the type chart ive heard its 1485 for ruby but i dont remember what it is for emerald could this be it

Type_Table_recolor.png

Unfortunately i cant find the proper pallete for it

Last edited:

TheShinyMew

Wild Challenger appeared!
Years
-WARNING-, kinda not that long post that's long

Okay, so, to test a theory of mine, I decided to see if I could just change a Pokemon to a 19th type, without doing anything else to the rom. And the result:
b1_zps6193792f.png

So in theory, we would not need to edit any table, if any existed. I'll experiment some more, and see if I can successfully implement them into the game.
If this works, we would need to repoint the effectiveness table, and the picture of the type icon, to expand the number of type icons. But, with what to do with the "-type-" icon, I'm not sure.

-EDIT-
Okay guys, so I inserted this new type icon thingy:
Status_zps27d9a749.png

This new picture is 2 blocks bigger in height. In theory, this would affect the "Type", "Power" icons, the game uses the original pointer.

b2_zpsed25408c.png

b3_zpse9fa9afc.png

(ignore the new attacks please)

So I guess, this is a success? Of course, I still have to experiment with attacks. I'll re-edit this later.

-EDIT TWO-
Okay guys, I have edited the attacks.
So, I edited the type to be not very effective against Grass. So this is the result:
b4_zps1df20cc3.png
b5_zps16f723d4.png
b6_zpsdf61dfe3.png

So its a success!
b45_zps930fe9cd.png
- I also edited the type name as you can see.

But there's a problem:
b7_zps74db0846.png

I'm not exactly sure if this is a side-effect of the addition of a new type, but I'm not sure.

So, in short, adding new types is possible without editing any tables, if any exist

That's a very nice one. Now you can teach us how to insert types on Fire Red next time you make a new thread!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 8, 2021
So are there any plans for patches for this, or at least a tutorial for Emerald?

Last edited:

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
So are there any plans for patches for this? Because sorry, I can't hex edit. Literally every time I've tried (not hyperbole), all I've managed to do is screw up the game.

9 times out of 10 if you ask for a patch in the Research and Development forum you're not going to get one, just so you know. This is usually because this stuff requires a knowledge of ASM and cannot be inserted easily without messing up your ROM (unless it's a clean ROM) because if the patch overwrites an offset that's already been used it can cause some nasty issues. Also, it doesn't seem that there's any information reguarding how to actually add a new type here. Perhaps Dragoon might be willing to make a tutorial or add to this thread to describe the process.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Mar 12, 2024
9 times out of 10 if you ask for a patch in the Research and Development forum you're not going to get one, just so you know. This is usually because this stuff requires a knowledge of ASM and cannot be inserted easily without messing up your ROM (unless it's a clean ROM) because if the patch overwrites an offset that's already been used it can cause some nasty issues. Also, it doesn't seem that there's any information reguarding how to actually add a new type here. Perhaps Dragoon might be willing to make a tutorial or add to this thread to describe the process.

Just saying...since Dragoon=ShyRayq=me, there is a tutorial for this...by me.
So, one can just follow that. Or just use MrDollSteak's rom base for easy, no hassle adding of the Fairy type.

Back