• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mew vs. Arceus

Which one do you like more?

• Mew

Votes: 75 76.5%
  • Arceus

Votes: 23 23.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KnilShadowLink

#1 Arcanine Fanboy
Years
I've recently been thinking...Arceus seems to be a lot like Mew (They both learn near any move TM/HM/Move Tutor) and at one time Mew was thought to be the very first Pokemon (I really don't feel like listing out all the similarities)...Basically what I'm saying is, is Arcues a cheap wanna-be Mew on steroids? (Also I've noticed that in every generation Nintendo has added a newer, stronger Pokemon that resembles an older Pokemon, Example: Dragonite<Salamence, Flygon<Garchomp, Blaziken<Infernape, and these are just to name a few...Am I the only one that sees the similarities?)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 11, 2016
Well, personally, I hate Arceus and much prefer Mew. Though, some people may disagree.​

©ereal Killer

Illusions or Real Illusions ♥
Years
  • Seen Jul 4, 2011
Well, personally, I hate Arceus and much prefer Mew. Though, some people may disagree.​
Naw dude, im with you... (you're a dude aren't you?)

Arceus looks like some giganto goat like thing, and mew...
well mew is cool... mmmkay?

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
I like them both but Arceus reflects me more.

Giraffes? Giraffes!

ラヴィ・ヘッド
Years

I agree with Shinji..

I really dislike everything about Arceus... Nintendo should of never made so many Sinnoh legendaries. Arceus wasn't needed in my opinion. So yes, i choose mew.

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
Years
Mew no doubt, he is very powerful. Although many people wouldn't think so because he looks so sweet. Mew has always been a favorite.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
Years
  • Age 92
  • Seen Mar 23, 2023
at one time Mew was thought to be the very first Pokemon (I really don't feel like listing out all the similarities)

Think of arceus as the christian god and mew as adam/eve. Arceus was the original being (Proof #1: Arceus is classified as the alpha pokémon, alpha meaning first. Proof #2: Pokémon Platinum Pokédex entry "Emerged from an egg where there was nothing") that created everything (Proof #1: Pokémon Diamond Pokédex entry "Shaped the universe with its 1000 arms". Proof #2: Pokémon Platinum Pokédex entry "then shaped the world"), while mew was the first "mundane" poke arceus created after assigning all the legendaries their tasks (Proof #1: Mew is classified as the new specie pokémon, which indicates it was created itself. Proof #2: 4th Gen Pokédex entry "Scientists believe mew to be the ancestor of pokémon", ancestor meaning distant relative and not creator).

Basically what I'm saying is, is Arcues a cheap wanna-be Mew on steroids?

No, he is not. Coming from a battling point of view, mew is definately a supporter with the ability to baton pass almost anything. Arceus lacks this, but his ability to change type and more aggressive movepool make him distincly different from mew.

(Also I've noticed that in every generation Nintendo has added a newer, stronger Pokemon that resembles an older Pokemon, Example: Dragonite<Salamence, Flygon<Garchomp, Blaziken<Infernape, and these are just to name a few...Am I the only one that sees the similarities?)

Not technically true. In terms of legendaries, nothing improved on mewtwo until 3rd gen, and it's arguable that he was still the best special sweeper. In terms of normal pokes, blastoise remained superior to feraligatr in terms of its chosen task, charizard was superior to typhlosion, pidgeot kicked noctowl's ass until swellow came along, who is in turn about level with staraptor this generation, and I could find you some more if you like. Comparisons are always drawn between different groups of pokes, most people failed to recognise arceus brought in a new level to the pokemon mythology rather than copying mew.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I never liked Arceus i feel its such a let down... Mew is tres cool though!!
Maybe the mobie will change my mind but the so called god of pokemon is just a let down really...

Years
I will say that I have to agree with El Gofre, I don't really like Arceus but thats mainly because Mew is one of the orignal Pokemon and I used to like it. That's all I really have to say on this topic ...

Azonic

hello friends
Years
I'd like to point out that neither Arceus nor Mew learns every move. Mew learns every HM / TM move, but Arceus doesn't even do that.

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2009
I'd just like to elaborate a bit more on what El Gofre discussed.

Firstly I'd like to emphasise the point that I don't like one Pokémon over another. Every Pokémon has unique characteristics and qualities, just like humans.

Arceus seems to be a lot like Mew (They both learn near any move) and at one time Mew was thought to be the very first Pokemon (I really don't feel like listing out all the similarities)

I disagree, they are actually quite different.

By popular belief, Mew is assumed to be the first Pokémon due to what is currently known.

Silver Pokédex entry: Mew
Its DNA is said to contain the genetic codes of all Pokémon, so it can use all kinds of techniques.

Ruby Pokédex entry: Mew
Mew is said to possess the genetic composition of all Pokémon. It is capable of making itself invisible at will, so it entirely avoids notice even if it approaches people.

Diamond Pokédex entry: Mew
Because it can use all kinds of moves, many scientists believe Mew to be the ancestor of Pokémon.

Might I add due to the rarity of Mew and its capabilities as a Pokémon, many perceive it to be the creator. However one should know majority of the information is based before that of Arceus. We should clear up some confusion in terms of what is actually described. It's stated Mew possesses the genetic composition of every Pokémon, not to of created Pokémon and the universe like Arceus.

Diamond Pokédex entry: Arceus
It is described in mythology as the Pokémon that shaped the universe with its 1,000 arms.

So what's the end result?

In my opinion, Mew is based somewhere in between the birth of Arceus and the creation of Pokémon. Which brings me to the term "Ancestor" (The actual or hypothetical organism or stock from which later kinds evolved.).

Resource(s):
Bulbapedia /Mew_(Pokémon)
Bulbapedia /Arceus_(Pokémon)

(Can't post links due to post count.)

Last edited:

Blaziken_Boy

Back for now
Years
Arceus all the way... I always liked him because he's cool and he plays huge role in Sinnoh space-time legend

Ironically, that's why I hate him.

It's like Nintendo said "what do we do we're out of ideers what pokemansz should we make the big ledjinderry"
"O I NO HOW ABOTU MAKE GOD OF POKEMONS/"

TERRA#493

Competitive Battler
Years
First i want to say, that nothing of both is able to learn every move. They only could learn (nearly) every TM and their level-up-moves. But for one of hundred examples, it gives no TM Flare Blitz and none of them can learn it by level-up. So, the only Pokemon who is able to learn every move, i believe, is Smeargle.

Well i like Arceus a lot, it looks cool, and its ability is simply awesome. But called as the "God of Pokemon" it should have more features, not only this ability.. I don't like Mew much... it looks not like a Legendary oO

Ayselipera

Also I see what you mean with them
making duplicates of the same pokemon
I really noticed it with Blaziken and Infernape.

Kazukii

Banned
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 2, 2009
I prefer Mew because Arceus is more of a hack than anything.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
Mew is just plaina dorable, but Arceus is pretty strong. :X

Abput who was first: Mew or Arceus, I am going to have to say Arceus, sadly. Also, using Pokedex entries before Arceus was made is kinda inaccurate. :\
Diamond Because it can use all kinds of moves, many scientists believe Mew to be the ancestor of Pokémon.
Scientists believe it was the first Pokemon, not neccesarily meaning it is the first Pokemon. :\

Just for nostalgia's sake, I'll have to say i prefer Mew (though I do quite like Arceus' dragon and Water Formes. XD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back